IGNORED

Hello from the top of the world

Ozmonster

Hey all, thought I'd send a big hello to everyone back down south. I've been sent north for the next couple weeks for work, and thought some of you may find it interesting seeing what the extreme northern communities of Canada are like. I'll add photos to my gallery, when I can, and I'll try to update the post at least weekly. I'm currently in Iqaluit, NU, on Baffin Island.

Current weather conditions are:

-29 °F

A few cloudsFeels like :-58 °FRelative humidity :60%Wind :26 km/h NW

Main reason for the trip is to hook-up a new generator at a iron ore mine farther north, will be flying up there Wednesday, spend about a week on that, then back to Iqaluit. Then take a 10 day trip to various out communities to perform service on their generators. Then back to the mine, to assist in the installation in the final 2 generators, if they're ready by then. Oh just another thing of interest, we only get about 6 hours of daylight here, sunrise is 0830, sunsets at 1430. The mine site is far enough north, that it's 24 hrs darkness.

When you say north you realy mean NORTH!!!!!

Been trying to talk the wife into a trip up the Cariboo highway through the center of B.C. to Skagway then over and back down the Alaska Hwy through Alberta. Thats as far north as I want to get.

Looks a little bit CRISP outside, nice thing about it, if there is a nice thing, it's dry and you don't feel it soo bad, mind you there is danger in that as well, IT REALLY IS COLD.

Enjoy your work and your stay, keep us posted. If we don't hear anything in a week, should we come looking?????????

Update on freezin my butt off, winds have been pretty rough today, tried to get some shots of the town, but blowing ice crystal's cause it to look foggy. Will try again tomorrow. Did update photo gallery with what I took today, and here's the current weather conditions.

-29 °F

Ice crystals wind chill Feels like :-63 °F Relative humidity :60% Wind :39 km/h or 25 M/h NW

Update on freezin my butt off, winds have been pretty rough today, tried to get some shots of the town, but blowing ice crystal's cause it to look foggy. Will try again tomorrow. Did update photo gallery with what I took today, and here's the current weather conditions.

-29 °F

Ice crystals wind chill Feels like :-63 °F Relative humidity :60% Wind :39 km/h or 25 M/h NW

Can't be too cold--not a Kiki Bird in sight. (Yeah, they're the ones that sit on the line and scream, "Kiki Kirist! it's cold!")

Nice pics, but what is important enough to spend time in that environment? Military? Oil? There are some other things that come to mind, but I'll leave them there.:whistling:

Have a good and safe trip.

Can't be too cold--not a Kiki Bird in sight. (Yeah, they're the ones that sit on the line and scream, "Kiki Kirist! it's cold!")

Nice pics, but what is important enough to spend time in that environment? Military? Oil? There are some other things that come to mind, but I'll leave them there.:whistling:

Have a good and safe trip.

He had previously posted it, but it looks like you missed it......... So here it is again.....

Main reason for the trip is to hook-up a new generator at a iron ore mine farther north, will be flying up there Wednesday, spend about a week on that, then back to Iqaluit. Then take a 10 day trip to various out communities to perform service on their generators. Then back to the mine, to assist in the installation in the final 2 generators, if they're ready by then. Oh just another thing of interest, we only get about 6 hours of daylight here, sunrise is 0830, sunsets at 1430. The mine site is far enough north, that it's 24 hrs darkness.

Hey All,

Thought I'd send an update from the frozen zone. Jumped a plane and if you can believe it, headed even farther north. Up on the northern tip of Baffin Island now, in a little place called Mary River, it's an iron mine. Will probably be here for about 3-5 more days. Temperature has been pretty steady in the -35C(-32F) range, with no wind, thank god. We get a grand total of 3 hours of daylight each day, from 10 AM to 1 PM, and the sun doesn't even come over the horizon, just sort of brightens the sky to the east, travels under the horizon and darkens in the west. Makes for one beautiful 3 hour long sunset when the clouds are in the sky. I've updated the pictures in the gallery, those black blobs are men bundled up keeping warm while we put in our 12 hour shifts.

Enjoy and will keep you all updated later.

Oz

Hey All,

Thought I'd send an update from the frozen zone. Jumped a plane and if you can believe it, headed even farther north. Up on the northern tip of Baffin Island now, in a little place called Mary River, it's an iron mine. Will probably be here for about 3-5 more days. Temperature has been pretty steady in the -35C(-32F) range, with no wind, thank god. We get a grand total of 3 hours of daylight each day, from 10 AM to 1 PM, and the sun doesn't even come over the horizon, just sort of brightens the sky to the east, travels under the horizon and darkens in the west. Makes for one beautiful 3 hour long sunset when the clouds are in the sky. I've updated the pictures in the gallery, those black blobs are men bundled up keeping warm while we put in our 12 hour shifts.

Enjoy and will keep you all updated later.

Oz

Dang!! A veritable heat wave.... My father-in-law was stationed at the AFB Goose Bay Lab., and one night the guys were out on the lake ice fishing. They couldn't figure out why they had to keep skimming the ice out of the hole all night long. Next morning they got the overnight temps. -54F!! You keep the fire lit Oz.... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all

Thought I'd update you on my artic adventure. Was back in Iqaluit last week, and on the Sunday, the temperature crept up to -25C/-13F, so we dawned our insulated cover-alls, bella-clavas, and artic mitts, and headed out on the snowmobiles for some fun. Spent 3 hours out in the back country, and out onto the pack ice. The best part was out on the ice, we had some good level runs, so wound the machines out to 75 m/hr and had a blast. Then it was back on a plane and back upto the mine site. Temperature on site today hit -47C/-52.6F, and -60C/-76F with the wind chill. We're having a hell of a time keeping the tent heaters going, it's so damn cold, the fuel is starting to freeze. My tents heater died twice last night, let me tell you, the heat don't hang around long. Well, looking forward to getting home within the next 3 weeks, can't wait, the shrinkage factor in these temperatures is brutal, wouldn't want it to become permanent. :rotf:

Oz

Hey all

Thought I'd update you on my artic adventure. Was back in Iqaluit last week, and on the Sunday, the temperature crept up to -25C/-13F, so we dawned our insulated cover-alls, bella-clavas, and artic mitts, and headed out on the snowmobiles for some fun. Spent 3 hours out in the back country, and out onto the pack ice. The best part was out on the ice, we had some good level runs, so wound the machines out to 75 m/hr and had a blast. Then it was back on a plane and back upto the mine site. Temperature on site today hit -47C/-52.6F, and -60C/-76F with the wind chill. We're having a hell of a time keeping the tent heaters going, it's so damn cold, the fuel is starting to freeze. My tents heater died twice last night, let me tell you, the heat don't hang around long. Well, looking forward to getting home within the next 3 weeks, can't wait, the shrinkage factor in these temperatures is brutal, wouldn't want it to become permanent. :rotf:

Oz

Dang - I've lived through some cold temps in Northern MN. I've seen plenty of -40F days and even saw a -50F once. I had a warm log house to live in with a wood stove. I even camped out in the winter once sleeping in a snow hut we built. I can not imagine trying to live in a tent in these temps. Build yourself an igloo - those are warmer than tents.