IGNORED

here we go again!!!

warriorhoneybee

new rear tire with about 800 miles on it. please look at pics. don't think it went straight in, i think it just caught the edge. with the luck i had last time with a nail( none at all) i will listen to sound advice on this one. i pulled the nail out without any air leakage. is there anything to do or just ride it. just don't want to loose another one at 82 mph with two up. the pic with the nail and paper is how far it went in.

well it didn't go all the way in and the last time i used a rope type plug it spit it out after about 50 minutes at 82 mph. hey Joe,i hear ya just wondering maybe about doing a plug patch on it, i hate to have to get a tire but if i do it will be awhile before i can get it. just went back to work Monday.

well it didn't go all the way in and the last time i used a rope type plug it spit it out after about 50 minutes at 82 mph.

Just curious about your experience/knowledge installing tire plugs?

1. Did you ream the hole real good?

2. Did you coat the plug with the supplied glue?

3. Did you insert it far enough so that appx 1/4 - 1/2" was left sticking out?

4. Did you rotate the plug tool 180 degrees before yanking it back out?

5. Did you trim off the excess level with the face of the tread?

6. Finally, did you go out and ride it at 80+ mph immediately after you plugged it?

If you answered "NO" to any from 1-5 or "YES" to 6 then that's possibly why it spit out.

I am still bruised and have aching ribs from when my rear went flat. Its tough to sleep still. Tonight I hope to straighten the passing lamp bar that was bent. I don't know if I could ride a rear tire that was knowingly damaged.

That said, I would take the tire off and look at the inside. Is it punctured? Do I see any hint of damage? A bubble maybe? I think I'd run Slime if I didn't chuck the tire.

I might also buy a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), which is about the cost of a new tire. Then I could run the tire, feel assured, and maybe get a full life out of it. After that, I'd still have the TPMS.

I dunno. Maybe if I didn't see black and blue still when I looked in the mirror, and didn't keep thinking of ibuprofen....

Dave

A tire is cheap insurance and reassurance. I would be constantly paranoid knowing that this happened to the tire. $ 250 dollars is a cheap price for being sure that this doesn't become a major problem. Choose life; buy a new tire.

What a pain!! I feel for you 'cause I've been there too (1500 miles though:whistling:) I'd agree with the folks about a tire being cheap insurance though. I know a good tire is going to set you back $150 or so, BUT when you consider that those two skinny tires are the ONLY thing between you and a crash....Buy a new tire and don't take the risk. Ride safe!

You could also simply take out the valve and run a tube for the life of this particular tire. I had 3 nails in a back tire that was nearly new like yours. I pulled the nails, I tubed it and ran it...

I'm with Captain Joe on this one. Fix it from the inside and do as GeorgeS said, throw in a bottle of Ride On and forget about it. Or you can buy a new tire and possibly ride it down the block and pick up another nail and do it all over again! If your out on the road somewhere, put in a plug to get you home, then have it fixed or replaced. It's your money and your peace of mind.

FWIW I plugged my nearly new E3 and rode from Vancouver, BC to Cody and back, and then a number of local rides afterwards including hauling the tent trailer thru the mountains and back before I sold the bike last Sept. Never once had a problem nor did the tire loose air.

Lots of folks plug 'em and forget 'em ... you do whatever you feel comfortable with. Me?... I'm ok with a plug. Done it more than once.

If it were me I'd put a patch on the inside. The nail didn't puncture the inside of the tire or you would already have a flat. All you are doing is adding a bit of thickness to that particular spot on the tire.

That's what I would do and ride it until it is time for a replacement.

After all if the nail penetrated the tire and it went flat you would get it patched, so why not now. I wouldn't use a plug because you don't know where the nail was heading and if you go streight in with the plug you will miss where it nail was going.

Just my .02

Good luck

If it were me I'd put a patch on the inside. The nail didn't puncture the inside of the tire or you would already have a flat. All you are doing is adding a bit of thickness to that particular spot on the tire.

That's what I would do and ride it until it is time for a replacement.

After all if the nail penetrated the tire and it went flat you would get it patched, so why not now. I wouldn't use a plug because you don't know where the nail was heading and if you go streight in with the plug you will miss where it nail was going.

Just my .02

Good luck

As SMSgt has said, a patch on the interior is a fine fix for the life of the tire. I spent a few years working at a Goodyear shop and that was our standard procedure for puncture repairs. The inside needs to be buffed smooth, no ridges or ribs under the patch. Clean the area with some solvent (MEK or 1-Tetrachloroethylene) and apply a light coat of patch glue. The byutal peal and stick in a round or oval shape work the best, no corners to worry about. One of the fellas that worked with me would prep everything and light the cement that was applied to the inside of the tire, to warm the glue, blow it out and slap on the patch PDQ.

The only punctures that we would not repair were on the sidewalls of bias-ply tires. Have fun doing all that inside a motorcycle tire (we had a device to spread the beads and push up on the tread).

:fingers-crossed-emo

(QUTOE from above)

Did you coat the plug with the supplied glue?

3. Did you insert it far enough so that appx 1/4 - 1/2" was left sticking out?

4. Did you rotate the plug tool 180 degrees before yanking it back out?

5. Did you trim off the excess level with the face of the tread?

6. Finally, did you go out and ride it at 80+ mph immediately after you plugged it?

All very vaild quesitons ...........from one who knows how to plug a tire..

Most people never comply with 3,4,5 and most all do take off rigth away which I myself would do.

The hole you plugged before and it spit the plug out, may have been an extra large hole you were trying to plug. If the reamer tool slides in the hole.. dont plug it..if you have to "force" the reamer tool in the hole then you have a good sing that the plug will work and hold, but you may not be inserting the reamer in dire t line with the hole since you do not know which direction or path the object took.

Are you sure you didnt make someone mad at you, and they are placing nails at the end of your driveway..

not that YOU would (or could) get anyone upset now...:whistling::rasberry:

If the reamer tool slides in the hole.. dont plug it..if you have to "force" the reamer tool in the hole then you have a good sing that the plug will work and hold, but you may not be inserting the reamer in dire t line with the hole since you do not know which direction or path the object took.

Another good point (which I didn't think to mention).

As for patching inside, I agree that this is the best way to repair a puncture and doing the "HOT" patch method is even better. Used to do a lot of this back in my younger days on both tube-type and tubeless tires. Having a "tire spreader" certainly made the job easier. Speaking of which, for most people, pulling a tire off the rim and patching the inside is not going to be a "DIY" type job ... take it to a bike shop if plugging it makes you uneasy.

A spray bottle with a mixture of dish washing liquid soap and water will quickly tell you if there is any concern. Spray a liberal dose on the affected area. If it bubbles a patch or some repair is in order. If it doesn't you are ok and shouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Mike

wow!! thanks for all the info. sorry to hear about your tire going down on you Dave77459 and hope you get better soon. and yes ECK i do have a problem with the reamer thing. i think i did all the step's except maybe the 180 turn but i did go right out and ride it,well it sat for three days and than i rode it. i got alot of good advice here and i thank all for chiming in and giving me your opinion. almost decided to go with new tire and than went back on my computer and blew the pictures up and it appears that the nail was heading in sideways so after much debate i think i will ride it down to the shop and let them put a inside patch over the area that it may have weakened. thanks for all your help and input.:322::thumbsup2::fingers crossed:

I had a nail go into the center of my new rear tire. i put an ordinary tire plug in it and i made it about ten miles and it pushed itself out. i would not use plugs like that again. i removed the rear tire and took it to the local mc shop and they fixed it with a plug/patch combo (see pic)....it's the only way to safely repair a hole imo.