IGNORED

2006 Venture - Friend wants to buy..

KIC

I have read about the problems with the 06/07 2nd Gens and the basket whine. I know that friends don't let friends buy 2nd Gens :no-no-no:( hey just couldn't resist :)) But my friend wants me to go look at an 06 with 53K miles. Supposedly they want $4,000.00 for it. The price seems good, even a little low.

What should I look for on an 06 ? What speed is the whine audible ? Anything else ?

Probably no records as it is being sold at a local pawn shop and they have had it for a while.

If I get the VIN, wouldn't the dealer be able to pull records ? :confused24:

I'm not an expert but I'd bet it needs tires $$$ and the whine comes and goes at different speeds. At 55 or so mine doesn't bother me at all. I did do a quick fix for the whine on my '07' by getting a pair of RK's and drill out both ends and installing them. It gives a little rumble but not so much tahe the wife objects.

The price seems more than fair, check for cracks, loose/missing bolts, especially look at both handle bar grips for abrasion (sign of a drop) look at the rotors and oil level.

:think: :think: :think:

How long has it been sitting in the pawn shop? Carbs may be gumed up. $4000.00 is very good price for a 06. Probably just want to unload it. All years RSV's can have the whine. It can be at any speed. They are all different. Some are very bad, some not at all, some just a little. Most are mild and you just live with it, Because the rest of the bike is awsome. If it isn't all dinged up and runs good and not leaking fluids, I would by it. Put a little work and $$ and your friend could have a nice bike.

If he buys tell him about the Sea-Foam. Sounds as if it may have sat for a while. You might be able to get the dealer to do that. I bought a 83 that was dealer pampered from day one at our local stealers. Frame was replaced by Yamaha in 2000 and it was taken care of for anything needed. Asked them if 2nd gear had been done and they won't tell me??

Ehhh, most of us are used to the George Jetson sound by now! I would want to hear it running first. As mentioned check for signs of it being dropped. Also warn him that they are top heavy and hard to maneuver at low speeds. They are a little wide but very comfortable...

Going to look at it this morning. Looks like they had it originally listed for $6,999.00 but want to move it so he offered $4,000.00.

Thanks for the input. He currently rides a Vulcan 800 and just sold a 85 Voyager that he only had for a couple of months. wants to combine the sale of both bikes into a larger cruiser.

Sounds like there are 3 whines associated with a 2nd Gen.

The clutch basket whine

The rear end whine

And the rider whine for being slower than a 1st Gen.

I won't have to listen to any of them since he will always be behind me.. :rotf:

If he gets this one, that means our Tucson group will be tied at 3 1st Gens, 3 2nd Gens...

wait Gene has an 84 parts bike... 4 to 3 .... we still rule !!!:happy65:

Going to look at it this morning. Looks like they had it originally listed for $6,999.00 but want to move it so he offered $4,000.00.

Thanks for the input. He currently rides a Vulcan 800 and just sold a 85 Voyager that he only had for a couple of months. wants to combine the sale of both bikes into a larger cruiser.

The clutch basket whine

The rear end whine

I won't have to listen to any of them since he will always be behind me.. :rotf:

If he gets this one, that means our Tucson group will be tied at 3 1st Gens, 3 2nd Gens...

Noticed you said there was a First gen. parts bike!

I say Second Gen. is the winner since they don't need a parts bike to stay on the road:stirthepot:

:rotfl:

The clutch basket whine

The rear end whine

Tell him you will stop at the Dairy Queen to wait on him!!!:stirthepot:

Tell him you will stop at the Dairy Queen to wait on him!!!:stirthepot:

DQ is having a 2 for 1 sale or something like that ..just might have to do that. Rode the 06 today. Didn't hear any whine...but then I am not the owner..:rotf:

Rode nice..right up to the moment the left rear view mirror fell off. :shock3: Had to turn around to pick that puppy up. Overall a good bike if he can get it for the $4000.00. Found the prior owner's name in the paperwork and trying to contact him to learn about the bike.

We'll see what happens...:confused24:

So I test rode the 06 today. There are a few minor issues, but it ran well. No whine in clutch area or rear final drive area, and since there wasn’t a 2nd Gen owner on it, no whining from the front seat area. :rotf:

It does have some scratches from falling over. They said they dropped it moving it around the business. And they do look like stationary fall scratches including a broken mirror. The repairs are.. new left mirror or set of matching mirrors, a crack on the lower fairing ( I can plastic weld that ) seats recovered, and the speaker grill area on the rear left is broken.

So, the guy buying it has a painter that can either repaint or touch up the scratched areas. Painter said he would repaint the bike for $150.00 labor If we take off the Tupperware, (owes the buyer a favor) , Mirrors - not a big deal set for $50.00 or less. , Seats recovered ?? I’m thinking buying a good used set and selling the existing to someone who needs a set for custom seat upholstering.

The most expensive item appears to be the rear speaker grill . Anybody know how much that might cost ?

The only bling on the bike is that it has a hitch, but I doubt he would ever tow anything.

Looks like the most he would pay is $4200 out the door. Trying for $4,000 out the door.

So I test rode the 06 today. There are a few minor issues, but it ran well. No whine in clutch area or rear final drive area, and since there wasn’t a 2nd Gen owner on it, no whining from the front seat area. :rotf:

It does have some scratches from falling over. They said they dropped it moving it around the business. And they do look like stationary fall scratches including a broken mirror. The repairs are.. new left mirror or set of matching mirrors, a crack on the lower fairing ( I can plastic weld that ) seats recovered, and the speaker grill area on the rear left is broken.

So, the guy buying it has a painter that can either repaint or touch up the scratched areas. Painter said he would repaint the bike for $150.00 labor If we take off the Tupperware, (owes the buyer a favor) , Mirrors - not a big deal set for $50.00 or less. , Seats recovered ?? I’m thinking buying a good used set and selling the existing to someone who needs a set for custom seat upholstering.

The most expensive item appears to be the rear speaker grill . Anybody know how much that might cost ?

The only bling on the bike is that it has a hitch, but I doubt he would ever tow anything.

Looks like the most he would pay is $4200 out the door. Trying for $4,000 out the door.

Pinwall cycle has used grills.

I stand corrected ?? :think:

I'm probably wrong again, but in some cases rpm's and speed are relative

Should have said Speed = MPH of the bike.

Whine is at same engine RPM but depending on the gear the Speed of the bike will be different That should make more sense HAHA

:rotf:

Brad