IGNORED

Info on this site??

Yammer Dan

Warden and I had a strange conversation this morning. Even stranger than usual. I was talking about info I got on here and she asked "What makes you trust the info you get on there so much??" It took me a minute to answer. And my answer was a little lame. We learn to trust folks on here because??? I know I do and most of the time it is because they are proven right again and again. We speak from mostly experience. There are some very knowledgeable people on here and this is the first place I look for answers anymore. I even read some of what "he" writes and will admit he mostly knows what he is talking about. I said mostly. I see bad answers on here but they are usually corrected quickly. If you have questions about a thread most of the time just ask or wait and read and it will explain itself.

Don't know what brought this on but I really appreciate what I've learned here. I've always wrenched my own things and this site has been a fantastic help. Not much I'm afraid to try on these beasts now!!

Why do we trust the info we get here???

OK I'm done. thats about as close as I will ever come to saying "Thank you all for being here"

Thanks Yammer Dan!! uh...uh....You were talkin about me??:think::stirthepot:

On a serious note...I was thinking the same thing last month, while doing the clutch upgrade with Skydoc's parts, I was asked why I was basically "fixing something that wasn't broke" because my clutch had never slipped.

My response was................

They said I needed to..............

Does he live in Burnaby? :stirthepot: :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

As a matter-of-fact ... he does .... so you know him too eh? ... yep, can't trust that guy at all .... heck, he's even stood before me and looked me square in the eye and lied to me... told me I was the handsomest guy that walked the earth he did ... told me wimmen ... lot's of wimmen ... several at the same time would lust for me .... danged blame liar he was!! :rotf:

Warden and I had a strange conversation this morning. Even stranger than usual. I was talking about info I got on here and she asked "What makes you trust the info you get on there so much??"

Why does anyone trust Wikipedia? It can be more casual than here. At least all the posts are out in the open, not sequestered into dark areas no one travels. Even so, people quote Wikipedia as if it were trustworthy. Heck even debunking site Snopes isn't entirely trustworthy. :backinmyday:

Next time the warden brings up anything without documentation and references, perhaps you can ask her how she knows that what she says is true? :whistling:

Now, more positively, this site is vetted by hundreds of look-sees on every post. Dozens of eyes with direct or indirect experience look at everything written. How many hours of experience on any given subject is represented here? How many subject matter experts are here?

This site is a great example of crowd-sourcing. :thumbsup:

Dave

Now, more positively, this site is vetted by hundreds of look-sees on every post. Dozens of eyes with direct or indirect experience look at everything written. How many hours of experience on any given subject is represented here? How many subject matter experts are here?

This site is a great example of crowd-sourcing. :thumbsup:

Dave

I agree with what you are saying about people proofing statements here. But at the same time I try not to call bullcrap on a given statement, just because I disagree with it.

There have been a few instances where I have, when I thought a given statement may present a safety issue or damage something.

None of us are all knowing, even those that think they are. The moderators have made several pointed posts about not getting into peaing matches over disagreements.

:no-no-no:

Gary

I have found form this, and other bike related forums that I have belonged to, that the "experts" here have more experience with the reality of the bike(1) than do the so-called dealer mechanics at out local stealerships. We used to have good little dealerships for each brand of bike and you could talk to the mechanics and they knew their stuff. Now we have SlimeNow stealerships and most of their parts people, mechanics and salespeople are young kids without real experience and they NEVER have even common parts available.

Most of it comes from the the ones who have decided ( for what reason I will never understand) live where that white crap lays all over the ground for months on end and they are able to constantly tear down and repair/modify/document their bikes.

The repair threads usually explain more in simple language than the manuals do. The "modified" tools are cheaper and easier to get/use than the "dealer" tools.

Plus we can do it all while teasing the slower Generation...you know..the 2nds...:happy65:

(1) Reality of course is in the mind of the beholder... like those 2nd Gens that fantasize that they are faster than a 1st Gen....

I agree with what you are saying about people proofing statements here. But at the same time I try not to call bullcrap on a given statement, just because I disagree with it.

There have been a few instances where I have, when I thought a given statement may present a safety issue or damage something.

None of us are all knowing, even those that think they are. The moderators have made several pointed posts about not getting into peaing matches over disagreements.

Gary

If one of them stops telling everyone he knows it all we wouldn't be having so many disagreements:rotfl: Ok going back to my corner now :innocent:

That post scared the crap out of me, because what Yammer said sounded so much more intelligent and wise compared to the way he usually sounds.............!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Yeah, who was that and what has he done with Dan????:confused24: :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

I am fairly new to the site however, I have had several motorcycles and usually try to find a site for that breed.

I must say the folks on here are EXTREMELY knowledgable about these bikes, even the first genners (jk) .....

Now if I could only have someone tell me how to set the radio stations it would prove my point.

It is a great site and I look forward to meeting some of you.

Kenny

I am fairly new to the site however, I have had several motorcycles and usually try to find a site for that breed.

I must say the folks on here are EXTREMELY knowledgable about these bikes, even the first genners (jk) .....

Now if I could only have someone tell me how to set the radio stations it would prove my point.

It is a great site and I look forward to meeting some of you.

Kenny

Kenny,

You can go to this thread and download the RSV Owners Manual. The instructions are on pages 4/16 and 4/17 I think. If don't have an owners manual, you should print it as it has information that you will need from time to time. Here are the two pages that tell how to program the buttons either manual or automatically though.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1828

Usually I'll ask 3 different people the same question and get 3 different answer. I then pick the one that sounds the best to me...

That's pretty good advice.

Every one of us makes mistakes. Unless you can grasp "why" something should be done/not done you're at risk of being a guinea pig.

That post scared the crap out of me, because what Yammer said sounded so much more intelligent and wise compared to the way he usually sounds.............!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe the warden posted it??? I know she reads the site, some & has posted on here before (usually when Dan was in the hospital though).........

:duck:

I generally believe that it is important to avoid being cynical about being open to and trusting of human nature when meeting and interacting with new people and acquaintances I encounter in life, to a point. Meaning that due my accumulated life experience I have been disappointed in hundreds if not thousands of people I have witnessed and encountered in all types of human interactive relationships. So I have developed what I believe to be a healthy and wise personal philosophy of being open and trusting of new people within limits and/or until proven by that person's actions and motivations to be untrustworthy. To be able to do this successfully, I feel that it is important to apply common sense and trust my instincts where it comes to assessing people's trustworthiness. I firmly believe that most successful way to developed trusted relationships is to first always be trustworthy with all of my dealings with everyone I interact with.

Does that mean that philosophy is always fool proof and I'm never burned, Of course not. But I do feel that it is right more than wrong and a good life strategy.

As far as the contacts, interactions and friendships I've experienced with the members of this forum I must and am pleased to state the following:

1. In the years I have been a member of and have participated on this forum I can not recall a single occasion where I felt intentionally misled, taken advantage of or treated with any sort of disrespect or malice to any degree whatsoever.
  2. Without the technical advice, fair dealings and positive interactions I have experienced with every single person and event connected with this site, I would probably not be riding today.
  3. Most of the friendships that were born and developed as a result of my involvement on this site are among the most trusted relationships in my life.
  4. Due to the nature of the people I have experienced on this site I do not believe that a bad actor of ill intent would be tolerated or accepted for long on this site.
  5. My faith in the inherent good of human nature is confirmed by my enjoyment and participation in this forum.
  6. Do I feel the same about any other group of people or organization that I have ever been associated with in my life. I can't think of any.

That is truly how I feel and I am proud to consider myself a member of this group of fine people.