Here we go....... Looking at tires for my 07 Venture. Currently have the original tires with 14,255 miles on them. Rear is ready to be replaced. Going to replace the front only because it's 5 years old. Here's my questions..... I have read about someone with a Michelin Commander || on the rear. What would be suggestions for the front? Michelin does not make a front tire for the Venture. I haven't had any problems with the Dunlop 404's which are what's on the bike now. Also, the member that has the Michelin Commander ||, has it on a first gen. As far as the riding I do? Mostly highway and around town. Don't have many twisties around Joliet but would like a set of tires that would be good for that when I get the opportunity. The Venoms were discontinued and I know I have read a lot about people using those. Just not sure if I should stick with what I have, or go to something different. I'm kind of one of those that figures if it's not broke, don't fix it. Anybody's thought or suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for putting up with me babbling.

Kevin

My personal choice has been the Avon Venoms. Im on my 3rd set. Not happy with Metzelers because they tend to throw rubber. Those Michelin Commander2's are relatively new. Maybe next year they will come out with a matching front tire. I know those who ran the original Commanders were happy with them. But, overall the Avons are the best bet in my opinion.....

My 09 has the E 3's on it. They were on it wehn I got it. Big difference from the way I remeber my 900 being on the Dunlap 404's on it. I like the sure footedness of the E 3's. I just keep reading up on tires. I'm not sure what I'm going to buy for replacements.

For what it's worth, everything I've ever read on the subject says that it is risky mixing tire brands. The tread patterns and compounds were designed to work together for specific models of tire and there's no way to be sure two different brands will work well together. We're not necessarily talking major handling problems (Though I've heard of it happening) but it could make your riding less pleasant. Having said that, I know people who have mixed brands or models within a brand (I replaced the front with an E3 when I got my RSV last year and left the nearly new 404 on the rear - no problem so far!) and everything has been fine. Just know though that there is a risk to mixing those brands.

Andy

Thanks guys for the input. I too have heard about mixing tires. I'm not wanting to do that. The Venoms have been discontinued according to my local shop. Think I'll probably stick with what has worked so far. Thanks again for your help.

The Michelin Commander II is available in a 130/90 B16 73H Reinforced front. That size tire should work as well as the Avon Venom AM41 MT90HB-16 or the Dunlop Elite 3 Bias Touring Front Tire - Size MT90B-16 which several on this site have tried and liked. I've wanted to give the narrower front tire a try myself, so will be installing this Michelin Commander II tire combination on my RSV probably next week (as soon as it stops raining!). Just a thought, and a little something to keep the thread going.

I like the D404 also. That's what my 07 came with. I got a nail in the rear at about 9k, so I put on a set of E3. I like the handling and stability of the E3 but I thought they were too noisy. The set I got really howled, from day one.

Then I put on another set of D404, and this dadgum set of tires is almost gone at 5k miles. Unbelievable! But I've seen this before. There are more than one formulation of rubber on these D404s. That's the only thing I can think of to explain why I get 10k on one set and 5k on another.

Anyway, I've already got my next set of D404 ready to go on. Even if they don't last long, they're nice and quiet, and handle reasonably well.

SW Moto still has them and they are on sale for $150, which is $80 under retail which is over 30%

http://www.swmototires.com/Avon-AM41AM42-VENOM-CRUISERCUSTOM-REPLACEMENT-TIRES-detail.htm?productId=7851553&ez=Avon&pos=5

Rick

FYI, I have been running Metzler ME 880s for over 180,000 miles since 2000 and I've never had an issue with any of them. Just have to run 46 lbs in the rear.

Hello: Just replaced my first set of 404's. (The rear was worn thin at 8,000 miles) I wanted to go with the Micheln Commander, but discovered no matching front tire. So I opted for a new set of Dunlop Elite 3's. The 2012 riding season has begun!!!!!:)

You'll enjoy the E-3's after running 404's. I typically get 12k or so out of the rear and around 15k out of the front.

• 1 month later...
Guest Slab_Ryder

Ok, so I understand my high tire life and ppl in the South with low mileage. With the 111 deg F temperatures I have endured in Az for the last 10 days, you can almost feel the rubber peeling off!