IGNORED

LOL. Gun saftey anyone?

KarlS

Safety not Saftey.

True story on MLive today;

A 42-year-old Grand Blanc Township man may do well with a refresher course on gun safety.

The man was hunting small game in Grand Blanc Township on Sunday when he tied his shotgun on a rope so he could carry it up a tree.

Nothing could possibly go wrong with that plan, right?

As he was making his way up the tree, the hunter dropped the gun and it went off.

Repeatedly.

The first shot his left leg, followed by another shot that hit his right leg. Ouch.

He was able to crawl out to a nearby road where a relative came to his aid.

He was taken to the hospital where he was listed in stable condition.

He later told police he thought the shotgun's safety was on. Officers then informed him it's probably not the best idea to tie the rope around the trigger.

On the bright side, the Department of Natural Resources came out and ruled it a hunting accident and that the man had not broken any laws.

:doh:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2012/02/offbeat_unsafe_gun_use.html

Edited by KarlS

here is gun safety from my area:

Victoria’s police chief has been reprimanded for leaving his loaded firearm under the seat of his police cruiser while he was at a press conference last Friday revealing that the department had misplaced a cache of riot gear.

Jamie Graham admitted Wednesday that he left his service pistol holstered under the driver’s seat of his unmarked car, parked at police headquarter’s locked underground parkade, while he spoke to the media about the “unacceptable” disappearance of equipment.

Graham said in a statement that he ordered a thorough search of the department’s buildings and cars in an attempt to find a missing shotgun, tear gas, pepper balls and tactical vests.

Instead, detectives found the chief’s pistol stored under the seat of his car, which is contrary to department policy that firearms stored at headquarters “must be unloaded, placed inside a locking drawer within a locked locker, and not be left unattended.”

The department was already being criticized for losing the riot gear, which raised public safety concerns about the equipment ending up in the wrong hands. Victoria police have not said whether the gear was stolen or misplaced and would not say how long it went unaccounted for.

It is still missing.

An investigation into Graham’s gaffe by the department’s deputy chiefs, John Ducker and Del Manak, was forwarded to the chairman of the police board, Mayor Dean Fortin. Fortin gave Graham a written reprimand for neglect of duty.

“Just as I expect every member of this department to take full responsibility for their actions, I take responsibility for this incident and I accept the Discipline Authority’s findings,” Graham said in a statement. “The last thing I want is for this inadvertent mistake to cast a shadow over the hard work that the men and women of VicPD do every day.”

The Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner is aware of the decision. Deputy complaint commissioner Rollie Woods said the discipline is in line with similar situations.

Fortin said he did not ask whether the chief has ever left his pistol under his seat before this incident.

“We deal with what is,” Fortin said. “An incident has come to light, we investigate it, we’ve dealt with it and it is certainly our expectation that it won’t happen again.”

Improper storage of a firearm is a criminal offence under the Canadian Criminal Code, but police officers are exempt from this. Fortin said the fact that the pistol was in the locked underground garage means there was no risk to the public.

This is Graham’s second misconduct finding while serving as Victoria police chief. He received a written reprimand for discreditable conduct for comments he made at a Vancouver security conference in November 2009 about an undercover officer supposedly spying on Olympic protesters.

While he was Vancouver police chief, Graham was cited for discreditable conduct for refusing to co-operate with an RCMP investigation.

Graham began a five-year contract with Victoria police in January 2009. Fortin said it’s too early to tell whether the two misconduct findings will have any bearing on whether Graham, 63, is offered another term in 2014.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Victoria+police+chief+disciplined+improperly+storing+firearm/6192010/story.html#ixzz1nEnZ8dj7

Oh! I've chased many a squirrel round and round a tree. But chase one up a tree? Carrying a gun? LMAO! I'll leave that task to you "Snaggletooth" .:stickinouttounge:

I've never hunted squirrel, but my impression was that the purpose of the shotgun is to remove the squirrel from the tree so you didn't have to chase it.:confused24:

I've never hunted squirrel, but my impression was that the purpose of the shotgun is to remove the squirrel from the tree so you didn't have to chase it.:confused24:

Shotgun? Good Lord that makes a mess out of dinner!

Where I grew up the area was nothing but Oak and Walnut trees and very few neighbors close by. Except for the squirrels. Lots of squirrels. My dad taught me how to shoot with a .22 rifle and well .... lil moving targets. His idea of a fun time was shooting the Walnuts right out of the lil sticky fingers while they were settling in for a snack just to wind them up. Once he had their attention he's pop 'em in the head. He hated a body shot. Too much damage. He expected the same from me. Never knew what a scope was until years later.

Once the area started to develope and people started to complain about the gun fire, even with the generous offer of free squirrel meat, he changed tactics and bought me a bow. Much quieter. Squirrel-ka-bob!

So if you ever drove past a home and saw a young boy in tree with a rifle .... we've met. Back then nobody called the cops. Today...... there would be S.W.A.T. unit on the surrounding roof tops.

All I can say in my defense is I never shot myself. Dad would have kicked my butt for that. :buttkick:

Make an effort to try something exciting. Climb a Walnut tree with a bow over your shoulder and a handful of arrows.

I grew up alright. I think.

And to answer the question of why go up the tree in the first place......... Sometimes they didn't fall out.

Mike

Shotgun? Good Lord that makes a mess out of dinner!

Where I grew up the area was nothing but Oak and Walnut trees and very few neighbors close by. Except for the squirrels. Lots of squirrels. My dad taught me how to shoot with a .22 rifle and well .... lil moving targets. His idea of a fun time was shooting the Walnuts right out of the lil sticky fingers while they were settling in for a snack just to wind them up. Once he had their attention he's pop 'em in the head. He hated a body shot. Too much damage. He expected the same from me. Never knew what a scope was until years later.

Once the area started to develope and people started to complain about the gun fire, even with the generous offer of free squirrel meat, he changed tactics and bought me a bow. Much quieter. Squirrel-ka-bob!

So if you ever drove past a home and saw a young boy in tree with a rifle .... we've met. Back then nobody called the cops. Today...... there would be S.W.A.T. unit on the surrounding roof tops.

All I can say in my defense is I never shot myself. Dad would have kicked my butt for that. :buttkick:

Make an effort to try something exciting. Climb a Walnut tree with a bow over your shoulder and a handful of arrows.

I grew up alright. I think.

And to answer the question of why go up the tree in the first place......... Sometimes they didn't fall out.

Mike

Reminds me of the time years ago when my new brother-in-law and I were hunting one Sunday after dinner( lunch for you Yankees). He shot a squirrel way up in the top of a popular tree and it went into a nest up high. We waited and waited nothing happened. Next thing I know he's pulling off his pants and climbing up the tree. I asked what he was doing and he said "I going to get that squirrel!" Well, he did get the squirrel and we headed back to the house. I asked hinm why he pulled off his pants. He said this was the only pair of Sunday pants he had and he wasn't going to tear them up climbing the tree. Sure was a funny sight back then seeing a grown man climbing a tree in his whitey tighties!!

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Former Fond du Lac police chief Tony Barthuly accidentally shot himself in the hand Wednesday night while cleaning a handgun.

The accidental discharge happened at about 8:30 p.m., said Capt. Steve Klein.

Police were called to St. Agnes Hospital for a report of a 54-year-old man who shot himself.

Barthuly was later transported to Appleton Medical Center for further treatment. He was listed in good condition on Thursday.

Barthuly currently serves as director of the Training and Standards Bureau at the Wisconsin Department of Justice.

Any accidental discharge of a weapon needs to be investigated, said Klein.

Due to Barthuly's ties to the Fond du Lac Police Department, the Sheboygan Police Department will handle the investigation.

Additional information will be released upon completion of the investigation, said Klein.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=659672

RR