IGNORED

Good use of a gun - parenting

XV1100SE

This guy is from the town not too far from here.... It is all over the news here.

I just finished watching it a while ago... I spent the next 20 mins viewing other kid's reactions to it. I am tremendously amazed. NOT ONE KID was on the girls side. All the ones I watched blasted the girl for her attitude and actions.

I wish I could show this to the kids I deal with on a daily basis at school but I would go to jail for showing the language and the firearms.... It would and could make some changes in some kids.

Oh, BTW... Guess what the movie is tonight for family movie time after dinner...

My two are 15 and 16....

YOU GO SIR!

As a adult "kid" of a strict Dad, I applaud the man for his actions. I was one of those kids who got alot of handmedowns, didn't have a computer, game console, etc, Entertainment was tv, books, and a 50 acre farm. Mike said the Dad shoulda gave her the gun and told her to shoot the laptop, his Dad would have...apparently he had an infraction with his Dad as a kid and his Dad took out a sledgehammer and made him smash his gameboy.

I found the video interesting and certainly understand his point of view. Although shooting the laptop might have been therapeutic for him, it isn't the way I would handle it. Forcing her to donate it along with her cell phone to a charity would have taught her even more. Turn her life lesson into a win for someone else less fortunate, maybe even teaching her another lesson in the process.

My two cents...

Apparently this 8 minute video has gone viral. For those with teenagers... good video to watch.

He most certainly got his point across but he`s not much of a parent.There are better ways

to handle the situation than that.He going about fixing the relationship with his daughter the

wrong way.And that folks is my 2 cents worth.

I was the third of 7 kids, shared a birthday with my sister who was 2 years older. We had chores and god could not help you enough if you complained. If you did not do your chores you had to answer to six siblings and two parents, we were all dependent on each other. Of course research involved a trip to the library and reading a book, and texting involved a pen and paper ( but we could find creative ways to fold our notes ) and once your note fell in enemy hands ( teachers or parents ) there was no denying.

I have two comments on this video and I know that I am being critical, your shot group was too large for that distance. I believe more time at the range could improve your grouping and I would remind any shooter to practice good shooting habits. When needed in an emergency our muscle memory will dictate what we do. I beleive you desirve more me time, jump on the bike and head to maintenance day. . .

I may not of handled it that way, however he did step up and took action (parenting) that was needed. He held it together fairly well. You could see the mix of anger, betrayal and hurt in him. I hope she apologizes to him and they can mend this "teenage growing pain" and move on.

Dad and I had a similar battle once, only I was in my 20's going to college and working 4 part time jobs to make ends meet @ home. He threatened me with similar action because in his mind I stayed on the computer far too much. In my eyes I was working and going to school, making sure there was money to pay for the basics around the house. I had no car, no social outlet, save chatting online. Both he and Mom were retired (older parents) and I was busting my a$$ trying to make sure there was food and bills were paid. Dad refused to see my side of the argument. He didn't take away the computer. But we never saw eye to eye again. I'm not trying to go back on my earlier statements. The kid wasn't her Dad's equal in her situation. In mine I was alot closer.

Dacheedah"I have two comments on this video and I know that I am being critical, your shot group was too large for that distance. I believe more time at the range could improve your grouping and I would remind any shooter to practice good shooting habits. When needed in an emergency our muscle memory will dictate what we do. I believe you desirve more me time, jump on the bike and head to maintenance day. . . "

Hey, in his defense, He was emotionally compromised... :rotf::rotfl:

Personally believe, he did the right thing...:whistling:

Dacheedah"I have two comments on this video and I know that I am being critical, your shot group was too large for that distance. I believe more time at the range could improve your grouping and I would remind any shooter to practice good shooting habits. When needed in an emergency our muscle memory will dictate what we do. I believe you desirve more me time, jump on the bike and head to maintenance day. . . "

Hey, in his defense, He was emotionally compromised... :rotf::rotfl:

Personally believe, he did the right thing...:whistling:

Maybe his intent was to turn the entire laptop into scrap, no salvagable parts, as in hdd dvd drive or cpu.

I agree with the father all the way up to shooting the computor. Though I have nothing against firearms, being a firearm owner myself. Nor am I against using firm discipline. I do not feel however that using a gun to discipline a 15 year old is the right way or the more mature way to go about it. I agree with the earlier post that she should have been forced to give it away to someone who could use one, but cannot afford one. I am sure that seeing another childs face light up, as she handed over her cherished laptop, that she would see what it is to appreciate something. Instead I think the father demonstrated his own lack of maturity and self discipline, by destroying the laptop wether by use of a firearm, sledge hammer or driving over it. A firearm is a deadly tool for hunting and defence, not a child rearing tool.

I also fear that this type of use of a firearm would give antigun lobbyists more fuel for their cause. They could well claim this as an example of someone irrationally pullying a gun in a fit of anger. As gun owners we have a responsibility to prove to these people that honest gun owners are responsibile and have a large degree of respect for the weapons we are entitled to own.

Edited by saddlebum

I think they (mom n dad) gave her to much rope and expected her to do the right thing, which very few 15 yr old girls will do. They apparently gave her what she wants then gets mad because of her discontent with them on facebook. Well, hello....give a kid a tool and they will most likely use it for however they want. From what she wrote is the same feelings among most kids...it's God's way of encouraging them (parents and kids) to leave the nest.

We bought our daughter a $3800 car at 16 and told her up front, you buy the gas and insurance if you want to drive it. Which she went out and got a job. You tear it up and can't pay to fix it you'll ride the bus till you graduate. After that there was no hard feelings with what she did with it. She sold it after graduation and bought herself the vehicle she wanted....life was good for me and she learned some responsibility.

I would have pawned it and spent the money on my m/c.