IGNORED

first aid CPR

rod

I grew up with basic first aid because we back packed and hunted in remote areas. In the Air Force I was a security /police Law enforcement first responder. I always have a first aid kit on my vehicles. Tonight I had 2 wrecks that happened in front of me hours apart. Both were ugly I don't know what the cause was on either. The first was a mutable roll over with no seat belts on the passengers. I pulled out the survivors and stopped the bleeding until the CHP and EMT showed up. The 2nd was 3 hrs later same freeway other direction 1/2 mile away they flipped and landed on the guardrail cutting the car in half. I hope the car seats were empty I could not find any children. I don't think the driver survived, I did CPR and first aid but it was a lost cause I'm afraid. As motorcyclist we should all be prepared to respond to emergency's. In this case I was on my Virago and only had a small first aid kit. The best part of the kit was my training. If you don't have basic first aid you should go to the red cross and get trained, you could save the life of a friend or loved one. Do not be afraid to help most states have good Samaritan laws that protect you from liability and it is the right thing to do. Ride safe Rod

Hello Rod: Thanks for sharing. You are admired for stopping to help and do what you could for the injured. I too have found my self the exact situation two times in the last 30 years as I travel around on telephone service calls. A few years ago I witnessed a semi truck blow over right in front of my eyes. Slid to a stop within a few feet of me on a rural highway. Driver was seriously hurt. I called 911. Truck was still running, smoke, spilled diesel and 70 mph winds made it interesting. It took two other motorists and myself to open the sky side door in order for me to drop down into the cab, stop the engine and render first aid.

Last year I came upon an 80 year old lady who had fallen asleep, crossed the center line and crashed in a corn field in the dead of winter. She was walking around dazed. I called for help, rendered aid and contacted her children for her. I was later informed that she suffered a broken neck, but made a full recovery. I was happy to have a first aid kit, emergency blanket and some years old first aid training. One never knows when these things are going to occur.

I was trained yearly when I worked for the Texas Utilitiy Generating Company. That was years ago and I know I need a refresher but I still know pretty much what to do.

I've only had to lend assistance twice. Once when a young lady fell asleep at the wheel somewhere between Dallas, TX and Waco, TX. She left the road and straddled a guard rail that rolled her over. I got stopped and her car was still spinning on the roof when I got to it. She was already crawling out when I got to her. Except for being in shock, she appeared to be OK. I got her in the correct position for shock and covered her up. We just talked until the paramedics arrived.

The other time was a choking victim at the DFW airport. I was walking to my gate when I noticed a lady choking at one of the food vendors. She had her hands in the chocking position but though a few people were staring at her, nobody was doing anything. I walked over and asked if she was choking and she nodded yes. I did that hienylick thing and it worked. She asked if I had time to sit with her for a few minutes so I sat with her and she held my hand and cried until I had to get to my gate.

Neither seemed like big things to do but I will admit that it is very gratifying when you are able to help somebody in need.

I did that hienylick thing and it worked.

A hieny lick will do it every time ! :rotfl:

All kidding aside, thanks to the OP for posting. Makes a guy think .... I took some 1st aid training about 35 years ago so mebbe it's about time I got a refresher. I have; however, had to assist at an accident scene once as I was the 1st one there... somehow I seemed to know what to do .... but it wasn't a life-threatening thing thankfully.

I need to update mine as well. When I was a teen Dad was having heart attacks pretty regular so I made my parents spent the money to get me certified. Last thing I wanted then was to be somewhere alone with Dad and have him collapse into another heart attack. Thankfully I've never had to use my skills beyond bandaging cuts and such, but I'm always ready, even have a pretty through 1st aid kit on the bike just in case.

In my younger days I was a life guard at a county pool.

I've had one refresher course about 12 years ago.

I guess I'm about due for another refresher.

Fortunately the worst I have had to deal with was putting in a few stitches while hunting.

I have had to stitch hunting buddies, the dog, and even myself.

Very timely post.. I just re-certified basic first aid, CPR and use of AED machine today. Amazing how what they teach has changed over the years.

Hope to never have to need it. As bikers that ride with others, we should all be as prepared as we can be.

Do not be afraid to help most states have good Samaritan laws that protect you from liability and it is the right thing to do. Ride safe Rod

Don't want to start a fight here as this is a good subject and something we all need to know. I spent 25 years as a fire fighter, retiring as a captain, and worked on the ambulance for 9 of those years.

With regards’ to the "Good Samaritan Laws" you are only protected up to the point of your training. If you aren't certified or trained to do something then don't do it, you will be liable for any further injury to a victim. If you aren’t a heart surgeon don’t attempt to open the patient’s chest. I realize that is the extreme but you get the idea.

If you want to help then get proper training to help otherwise call 911 and get out of the way.

Just my 2 cents worth.

In every state in the nation you are covered by the Good Samaritan Law ( Federal law) so you can not be sued for basic life savings measures (CPR, Heimlich or direct pressure to bleeding) you are only required to ask a conscious person for consent. Unconscious persons have implied consent under the law. .

You can not do the crazy cut a throat and stick a bic pen in stuff. . . Our center does Emergency Medical Dispatching "EMD", most people are not aware that not all 911 centers are EMD trained and if they are not emd trained ALL YOU WILL GET IS THE AMBULANCE IS ON THE WAY, no instructions. We are trained to give instruction to a persons comfort level and or training. Medically trained professionals are still instructed to do breaths. If you do not carry a pocket mask you will probably not opt to do breath / compression cpr. Attempt to continue until an ambulance is on scene.

Good Samaritans and BLS are held harmless rendering first aid and where first responders may get into trouble are areas like passing a patient to a lower level of care ALS tom BLS , having an AED with dead batteries, not following patient protocols. . .

* Not be liable for civil damages for rendering emergency medical treatment unless their action constitutes gross negligence or willful misconduct.

Edited by dacheedah