IGNORED

snowy texas panhandle

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Well once again...the 'warm' state is cold and snowy...WAH!

I cant ride and it sucks. Suffering from PMS. (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)

:(

Those of you who CAN ride...please enjoy a mile for me!

At least there is a really cute weather-babe on the Weather Channel tonite, as I watch the %*$@*^*)@#* cold Canadian air head our way.

That don't look like much snow. Should be gone soon. Plus once they plow you can ride.

Margaret

Nope, cause here in the Texas Pothandle, they'll put down 10,000lbs of sand on every overpass, curve, stop sign, and light. Nothing like coming around a corner and seeing a big ole pile of sand in the middle of your lane.

HaHaHa---Hey Tx ya want some cheese with that whine?

Commin from WI, I think that's funny:rotf::rotf:

Snow in Texas:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Get the chains out,

Steve

I'd rather be in snow in WI then TX. They don't know how to deal with it here. I grew up in Illinois and it's scary to me to go out here when it snows.

Guest tx2sturgis
HaHaHa---Hey Tx ya want some cheese with that whine?

Commin from WI, I think that's funny:rotf::rotf:

Snow in Texas:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Get the chains out,

Steve

Hell yeah!

Hey we get some big snow storms around here, this aint one of em...but its enough that I cant ride....

Its been 4 weeks now that I've not been able to ride..between work schedules and weather, its just not happnin.

I might as well live in Yellowknife, eh?

Dang.

thats not snow! Here in Michigan we call that little bit Frost:snow2:

That's what I was thinking also, just a good frost, heck just scrap it off and go riding.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You know what they say about Texans though.:stirthepot:

We're suppose to get a heavy frost today, about 6 inches worth.:crying:

Jerry

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...so yall think its only warm here huh?

Well, I'll take the bait. Its time for a little education for the Yanks.

These are some pictures from about 3 years ago here in the Texas Panhandle. I was driving from Plainview to Amarillo. Once I got out on the highway, the snow berms were built up by the plows to the point that you could not use any of the exit ramps. If I could have, I would have turned around and came back home, but I drove for over 50 miles before I found an exit, and by then, I was only 25 miles from where I was going.

Now I know some of you think we dont get any snow, but actually the winters here in the Panhandle can be rough. We get strong winds along with the snow, and often the roads end up closed, sometimes for days. We get this kind of weather just about every year, but this time I happened to have my camera in the pickup with me.

The pics show the view thru my windshield. We were all moving at around 20 mph. As you can see from the in-town pics, the city roads were passable, even though the trees were heavy with ice and snow.

The pic of the vehicles running up the ramp to the right is a bit deceptive. Those vehicles were not moving, at all. The ramp was blocked and they were all stuck there. I didnt want to join them, so I kept rolling.

Many northerners believe that Texas is nothing but warm. Well, south Texas has much warmer weather than we do. If you divide the state in two, seperated by Interstate 20, you have a north part that gets some rough winters, and a southern part that has milder winters. South of San Antonio, on into deep south Texas, is quite balmy most of the winter. In fact, in some areas down there, it almost NEVER snows. It is true that here in these latitudes, the snow is usually melted and gone in a few days to maybe a week. We dont get the permafrost you guys get up there in the northern tiers.

We only got a dusting of snow here in Plainview last nite, but 100 miles north of me, they got 3 inches...not much I know, but its only the first few days of winter!

SO...back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Texas. It's a WHOLE 'NOTHER COUNTRY.

Ok...so yall think its only warm here huh?

Well, I'll take the bait. Its time for a little education for the Yanks.

These are some pictures from about 3 years ago here in the Texas Panhandle. I was driving from Plainview to Amarillo. Once I got out on the highway, the snow berms were built up by the plows to the point that you could not use any of the exit ramps. If I could have, I would have turned around and came back home, but I drove for over 50 miles before I found an exit, and by then, I was only 25 miles from where I was going.

Now I know some of you think we dont get any snow, but actually the winters here in the Panhandle can be rough. We get strong winds along with the snow, and often the roads end up closed, sometimes for days. We get this kind of weather just about every year, but this time I happened to have my camera in the pickup with me.

The pics show the view thru my windshield. We were all moving at around 20 mph. As you can see from the in-town pics, the city roads were passable, even though the trees were heavy with ice and snow.

The pic of the vehicles running up the ramp to the right is a bit deceptive. Those vehicles were not moving, at all. The ramp was blocked and they were all stuck there. I didnt want to join them, so I kept rolling.

Many northerners believe that Texas is nothing but warm. Well, south Texas has much warmer weather than we do. If you divide the state in two, seperated by Interstate 20, you have a north part that gets some rough winters, and a southern part that has milder winters. South of San Antonio, on into deep south Texas, is quite balmy most of the winter. In fact, in some areas down there, it almost NEVER snows. It is true that here in these latitudes, the snow is usually melted and gone in a few days to maybe a week. We dont get the permafrost you guys get up there in the northern tiers.

We only got a dusting of snow here in Plainview last nite, but 100 miles north of me, they got 3 inches...not much I know, but its only the first few days of winter!

SO...back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Texas. It's a WHOLE 'NOTHER COUNTRY.

if thats all we got in a hour we would call it light flurys we dont even slow down for that :snow2:

I might as well live in Yellowknife, eh?

Been to Yellowknife and I am sure you would not like it. Went in January and it was -25c when I got there and did not warm up even in the day. Dropped to -40 over the next couple of days. Sun came up about 11 am and was gone at 2 pm.

On the bright side it did not snow much as it was too cold.

Brad

Guest tx2sturgis
Been to Yellowknife and I am sure you would not like it. Went in January and it was -25c when I got there and did not warm up even in the day. Dropped to -40 over the next couple of days. Sun came up about 11 am and was gone at 2 pm.

On the bright side it did not snow much as it was too cold.

Brad

Actually it does get quite cold here...-25c is about -14F..and the records around here range in the -13 to -16 range. I remember as a child and teen it would hit the minus 5 to 10 range nearly every winter. I think global warming kicked in and fixed that pneumonia hole!

Its supposed to hit about 14 F here tonite. While I'm not trying to say that our winters are worse/colder/longer than say, Minnesota or the Northwest territories, its is still a winter that is cold, snowy, and prevents most motorcycle riding sometimes for weeks or a month or two.

• 1 year later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Reactivating this thread...seems appropriate right now. We've had some serious snow here, it just doesnt seem to make the national news because either no one believes it, or the fact that we just get thru it. Many accidents were reported on Christmas Eve, as travelers made their way up and down the treacherous highways of the southern Texas Panhandle.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/122509/loc_539449826.shtml

The official reports of 2 to 3 inches are deceiving. This snowstorm included high winds that made driving difficult on the slick roads, and caused huge snowdrifts.

One of my friends here in Plainview snapped the included pics at her house, just on the edge of town. The first pic is the only road leading to her house...and the snow was knee-deep in the approach to the road...impossibly deep for any cars. The other 2 pics are her house, with that huge drift blocking her cars from being backed out. Her husband and large boy-son dug them out...eventually!

Needless to say...no riding in the last few days.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Larry I think you have something there..I Blame it on Squid! Brian....Glad I aint going to New Mexico now!! Off this week,will hit it again next Sunday..get the weather right b4 I come that way.

You CAN'T blame it on me, I took it back up north here

:no-no-no: And thanks for having my back buddy, I'll have to keep that in the ole memory bank for later consideration :stirthepot:

Brian, For the first time this summer (August) I rode straight down thru the pan handle. I came in 287/385 from OK. Stayed the nite in Amarillo. Continued on 287 to 83 to 84 into Austin on 183. Man that is some ruff riding. Ran over a six foot rattlesnake and the winds! Saw the sign that said Severe Winds Ahead. Not wind gusts, not possible winds, not caution winds. But a matter of fact sign Severe Winds Ahead. What an understatement! I sat up, put my feet down (on the running boards), clicked off the cruise, slowed down to 60ish and just past the silos WAM got hit with the wind, almost knocked me off the bike, moved me over 3 feet. I have never experienced something like that before. Only lasted about a mile or two but that was enough. Some desolate boring country north of Amarillo.

Reactivating this thread...seems appropriate right now. We've had some serious snow here, it just doesnt seem to make the national news because either no one believes it, or the fact that we just get thru it. Many accidents were reported on Christmas Eve, as travelers made their way up and down the treacherous highways of the southern Texas Panhandle.

Needless to say...no riding in the last few days.

Just maybe, I will think of you guys, while riding my scoot, on Vancouver Island (before heading back to frozen Alberta, late next week).........

:stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf::canada:

Tell me about it. I drove through OK, TX and NM yesterday and on to AZ today. The further west and higher up I went the worse it got. Parked in Flagstaff tonight with snow piled up everywhere.

On to Las Vegas tomorrow. Sure hope the weather improves. Still had green grass when I left home on Sunday.