IGNORED

Camera recomendations..

DragonRider

Looking to upgrade my digital camera from a point and shoot to an SLR Digital, I hear a lot of good things about the Canon EOS Rebel. Any others out there that I should consider. Money is a concern, trying to stay under $500.00. I know we have a lot of camera buffs here and hopefully they can help me with this decision.

Hi,

This is Laura, Painterman's wife.

I have the Cannon EOS Rebel T1. It's the basic DSL for Cannon. I love it! I'm just about to finish a year long course in Photography and have used the camera thru out the course. I also have the 75-300 lens. The 35-55 lens, which comes with the body, just doesnt get the long distance shots that I like to take, close enough. If that makes sense! Yes, I would love to move up to a better camera, but for now I am completly satisfied with the images that I have created with it. It is very eary to use, I have had no problems the the camera at all. It's well worth the money. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Laura

Ps The above post was put up by my wife as I know nothing about cameras........

I have the Rebel wished I had went ahead and got the 60D and bought my lenses separately I was really disappointed with the kit lens. Bobbi just bought a new Canon so she may weigh in.

The Nikon Entry level camera is also good and the low end Nikor lenses are better than the entry level Canon lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764102-REG/Nikon_D_5100_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732047-REG/Canon_4460B003_EOS_60D_DSLR_Camera.html

This is the one you should really get (my dream camera)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518204-REG/Canon_2011B002_EOS_1Ds_Mark_III_SLR.html

Hey Dragonrider.

I've been a Canon man since Moses played quarter-back for the Arabs.

Film cameras, then went to a DSLR (the 300D - whatever that is in the USA) and have slowly upgraded to a 350D, 400D, 450D and now a 550D. I use both the 450D and 550D for my professional work and I gave my bride the 400D. I gave the 300D to one of my sons and the 350D to a neice. All are still going strong.

I cannot fault them, and if you look aroud you can pick up a good second-hand unit for well within your $$ range.

Having said that - outlay the extra buck$$ and buy a newie.

Get a medium telephoto (zoom) lens that will get you 18-250mm or thereabouts.

You're not locked in to buying a kit (body and two lenses).

Negotiate for a body and the one lens (as above.)

Good luck.

Spear

Edited by spear

We have an old Rebel 35MM but Eileen and Dylan both have Nikon Digital SLRs. I think that Eileen's is a 3500 and Dylans is a 7000. Dylan's was a good bit above the $500.00 mark but I think that Eileen's make have been in that area. They both really like the Nikons.

I have an Olympus E-510 that came with two kit lens. The E-510 has been superseded by the E600/620, but the in body Image Stabilization, Articulated Live View and compactness are still valid pluses.

As with Oly's old OM1 film camera, Olympus has produced some of the most compact DSLR cameras.

Having said that, the Oly is still too bulky for the bike. I carry a Canon PowerShot SX120 IS in a small nylon case strapped to the fairing on my First Gen. Small, simple, GREAT pictures and cheap enough not to worry over it.

Its been a long time since I have seen a post from you, was wondering if you were still a VR member. You, being a prof. photo guy, your input has me going more that way. Now someone else said the basic lens that comes with the kits being offered are not all that good, that being said, what lens would you suggest for everyday use, I am already wanting the 18-250mm lens or maybe longer. What kind of mount does the Canon use, and which brand of lens would you suggest. I have a couple of Pentax K mount lens hanging around here someplace from my old SLR 35mm. But I don't want to buy a camera body just because I have those lens.

Thanks again for you suggestions.

Hey Dragonrider.

I've been a Canon man since Moses played quarter-back for the Arabs.

Film cameras, then went to a DSLR (the 300D - whatever that is in the USA) and have slowly upgraded to a 350D, 400D, 450D and now a 550D. I use both the 450D and 550D for my professional work and I gave my bride the 400D. I gave the 300D to one of my sons and the 350D to a neice. All are still going strong.

I cannot fault them, and if you look aroud you can pick up a good second-hand unit for well within your $$ range.

Having said that - outlay the extra buck$$ and buy a newie.

Get a medium telephoto (zoom) lens that will get you 18-250mm or thereabouts.

You're not locked in to buying a kit (body and two lenses).

Negotiate for a body and the one lens (as above.)

Good luck.

Spear

Edited by DragonRider

I love my point and shoot.... For those that have been bitten by the photo bug, eventually you will too..... :) I used to own more Nikon Equipment than I care to admit. Somewhere around 50K-60K worth. The problem that I ran into was I needed a pack mule to carry the stuff around. So everytime I went on vacation I only took the minium, and even that was too much. Carrying and worrying about an expensive camera was a chore when trying to enjoy a trip. Back in '89 my wife and I left for 6 weeks and circumnavigated the US. I took everything with me packed in a tool box in the bed of the truck. Plus one Leica CL point'n'shoot. I burned up a brick of film while away. 19 rolls of slide film with the Leica, and 1 roll on the flightline of Homestead AFB with the 'big' stuff. That's when I dicided that all that equipment was an anchor, and fell in love with point and shoots. It wasn't long after that digital cameras started to appear. More of a play toy in the begining. I started with a CASIO and very few pixels... and the images reflected it....., but I could download them to pentium 3 computor. I finally popped for a Nikon Coolpix with 1 meg resolution and I still own it. Since then I've probably owned a half dozen different digital point and shoots all the while climbing the mega-pixel ladder to my latest. A Lumix/Leica DMZ-PS6 14mp that I'll hold up to any SLR out there. It fits in my pocket, is readily accessable, and it cost me about $150 bucks off WOOT. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about buying an SLR if you feel it will give you better pics, because it probably will, but just saying that there are other alternatives out there. Been there... Done that....

Another Canon vote here. I am in the same boat as Condor (50K) in cameras & lens. When we go on trips it is usally for photo ops. Once you make your choice of brands you need to stick to it. It becomes expensive to change camps down the road. On the bike I carry a Canon G9. My biggest issue with point and shoot is the shutter lag.

I have been playing around with different processing lately, I just got tired of doing it the same way every time. Anyway, if anyone wants to take a look click on the link below.

http://www.lookingglassphotos.com/p769370763/slideshow

Edited by Bvinson

Lewis, I highly recommend Canon. I have used Canon cameras for a long time and have been so pleased with them. George got me a Canon EOS 60D for my birthday this year which is absolutely fantastic! The lens range is from 18mm to 135mm and is perfect for my normal picture taking needs.

However, for the price, the Canon EOS Rebel XS is one that is in the cost range you are looking for and has great high quality pictures. The lens that comes with it is 18mm to 55mm. You can always get more lenses such as wide angle, telephoto, etc. The beauty of the Canon Rebel is that you can shoot pictures automatically or go into manual focus. With the Ventureriders, I use auto and sports mode so I can catch all of the fun shots!

I hope this helps you and have fun camera shopping!!!:thumbsup2:

I have been playing around with different processing lately, I just got tired of doing it the same way every time. Anyway, if anyone wants to take a look click on the link below.

Humbly I have to say that WOW isn't adequate. Those pics are outstanding. My problem with photography is that I'm too lazy for constant adjustment and virtually EVERY one of my pics go to a web site or are emailed to somebody, again more adjusting just to send.

Consequently, I use a point and shoot for everything and at the lowest setting even for vacations.

Guest tx2sturgis
Polaroid still making cameras ??

Well heck yeah.

http://www.polaroid.com

:happy34:

Some people and business just need an instant printed photo. The freight business is one area where instant prints are needed, to document damaged freight, load securement, perishable temps and produce condition, etc.

Those were absolutely beautiful pics........dont think I have ever seen such beautiful pictures anywhere.........!!! If your not making your living doing this, you should be.

Another Canon vote here. I am in the same boat as Condor (50K) in cameras & lens. When we go on trips it is usally for photo ops. Once you make your choice of brands you need to stick to it. It becomes expensive to change camps down the road.