IGNORED

RSV performance cam kit?

I'm trying to find out if anyone knows where I can get a performance cam kit for my 99 RSV. I'd also like to know if a cam from a VMax will work in the 1300 Venture. Can anyone help?

If anyone knows the specs for the cams in either engine, I'd love to have them.

Thanks,

New member,

Mike Waldman

I've never seen a performance cam kit for the RSV. I had an '89 with VMAX heads and cams and I suspect that it could be done on the '99 but am not 100% sure.

That being said, PCW Racing may be able to provide exactly what you are looking for. Check them out and maybe give them a call. The specialize in performance upgrades for these engines. Be sure to report back on what you find out.

http://www.pcwracing.net/

RSV cams:

lift: .305"

dur. @ .050": 206º

dur. @ .020": 228º

VMX cams:

lift: .325"

dur. @ .050": 236º

dur. @ .020": 258º

The VMX cams and valve springs are a drop in fit in these engines. I have them in mine. If you still want bigger cams than these, PCW does have them.

Featured Bike

1998 Yamaha Royal Star

"N2 IT"

OWNER: BRETT HAZELRIGG

Houston, TX

http://www.pcwracing.net/royalstarimages/star_front.jpg

I purchased this Royal Star new in March of 1998. The bike was ridden hard for more than 2 years. It was looking a little worn and the engine needed some work. I took the bike to my long time friend and technician Frank Briggs at Ks Motor sports in December 2001

http://www.pcwracing.net/royalstarimages/star_engine.jpg

The Engine:

• The cylinders were bored out at PCW Racing in Schenectady New York to accept a Weisco 10.5 to 1 1394cc big bore kit that was purchased from Orient Express Racing .
  • PCW Racing installed stainless steel 1.5mm oversized intake and exhaust valves in the heads for more flow.
  • At PCW Racing the heads were bowl ported, polished, decked and a serdi 3 angle valve job was done for maximum airflow.
  • The intakes with the K&N air filters were designed and hand made of aluminum by John Ganey of PCW Racing.
  • The carburetion is a one off special fabrication of 4 36mm flat slide Mikuni carbs designed and hand built by John Ganey at PCW Racing.
  • Cams and valve springs are off the shelf factory parts for a Yamaha V-max.
  • The crankshaft was sent to Falicon Crankshafts in Clearwater Florida were it was balanced, blueprinted polished, and the crank cheeks were knife edged. V-max rods were also installed to handle the extra stress from the 116-rw hp that the engine pumps out.
  • A Pingle high flow fuel petcock was added to the stock fuel tank to insure adequate fuel delivery to the larger carburetors.
  • The ignition is a Dyna 3000 with stock Yamaha ignition coils.
  • The bike dynoed 116- rear wheel h.p at 8000 rpm with 88 ft lbs of torque at 4000 rpm.
  • The stock rear end was favored over the V-max ring and pinion and re-installed
  • The total customization process took 2 years and 6 months.

http://www.pcwracing.net/royalstarimages/star_rear.jpg

The Story:

• I like the Royal Star as a cruiser it is a solid ride. I knew I wanted something a little different but wanted to keep the stock look. I told Frank to completely disassemble the bike and start from the ground up. That is how the whole customization process began and the bike got its name N2 IT. ( IN TO IT )
  • Frank Briggs at Ks Motorsports performed all engine and motorcycle assembly.
  • Ks Motor sports had the frame, handle bars, front end, swing arm, forward controls and engine cases sent out and powder coated gloss black.
  • The handle bar switch housings and rear brake caliper were sent out and chromed at Barons in Fallbrook California.
  • The 17inch Wizard rims, brake calipers and rotors were purchased from RC components in Bowling Green Kentucky.
  • A 17inch x 70x 170 Metzler ME-880 was used for the rear tire and a 17inch x70x 150 Metzler Z4 was used for the front.
  • The front suspension was lowered 1.5 inches and gold valve emulators were installed for a better ride.
  • A new rear shock from Yamaha was installed and the rear of the bike was lowered 1.5 inches. The bike actually handles well in corners now with the 17inch rims and Metzler tires.
  • A radio caddy fairing from the Trike Shop was installed for rider protection. For some quality sound Frank installed a Kenwood CD player and two 6-inch Kenwood marine speakers in the fairing. The sound system totally rocks.
  • The paint was applied by Joe of Joes bikes and boards in Spring Texas. The maroon is the factory Yamaha color for the bike in 1998.
  • The rear taillight and turn signal assembly was removed and a teardrop LED was added at Mike Millburn’s in Pasadena Texas.
  • Frank Briggs designed the special side mount license plate bracket. The LED was added to illuminate the license plate.
  • The forward controls and differential cover came from Pro-One in Pomona California.
  • The tachometer and suspension lowering kits are from Barons custom accessories.
  • The gold valve emulators are from Race Tech.
  • Special thanks goes out to technician Frank Briggs, service manager Shane Stubbs and Jeremy Peterson of Ks Motor sports in Humble Texas for their patience and dedication to see the project completed.
  • Special Thanks goes out to John Ganey owner and custom bike builder of PCW racing for all the machine work performed on the heads, cylinders and the special one of a kind hand fabricated 36mm Mikuni carburetors and intakes.

I would Venture to say the carbs/cams made 90% of the difference in this bike. Going from 28mm to 36mm carbs and getting some air into these motors is more beneficial than just about any other large scale mods.

I think that he got much more than a 20hp increase. He has rear wheel HP as compared to the advertised crankshaft HP numbers. RWHP will be 15 to 20% lower than crank HP due to all losses are eliminated at crank. RWHP stock is probably in mid 80's.

A decent header on the bike would probably yield around 10 more HP. The four individual pipes are the worst possible setup for power I have learned. They look nice and have a unique sound though.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

The details are real schetchy since I had the bike built back in 2001 thru 2003.

John Ganey did some extensive work to the heads. V-MAX cams V-MAX valves,ported and polished the heads. I dont rememebr the flow rate.It was punched out to 1400 cc.The one off 36mm flat slide mikunis were a work of art.He actually took a set of carbs and cut them in halft to get them to work.

Lets not forget the handmade aluminum cold air intakes. We used a V-MAX rear end at first but the stock Royal Star gearing worked out better. The bike would run 140 mph flat out but was real spooky to ride. Someone mentioned that the 4 single exhaust pipes looked good but not a good choice for the engine. I was going to get RB racing to build an exhaust but never got around two it. A baseline dyno was done on the bike when it was stock and new and it had 58 RWH on a dyno jet dyno. When John Ganey was finished it had 116 RWH on a dyno jet dyno

• 1 month later...
RSV cams:

lift: .305"

dur. @ .050": 206º

dur. @ .020": 228º

VMX cams:

lift: .325"

dur. @ .050": 236º

dur. @ .020": 258º

The VMX cams and valve springs are a drop in fit in these engines. I have them in mine. If you still want bigger cams than these, PCW does have them.

I'm technically inept - can you explain what this does? What are the benefits? Also, what was the cost?

Thanks,

wild

The life is how tall the lobe on the cam is, the more lift, the farther the valve is open.

Duration is how long the valve is open for.

More lift and more duration allows more air and fuel to be drawn into the cylinder producing more power.

Cost can vary from FREE!! to whatever Yamaha charges for a set of brand new cams.

If I wanted a RSV with more power, I think swapping a new V-Max powerplant would be the ideal way to go.

ENGINE Type:102-cubic-inch (1679cc) liquid-cooled 65° V-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder

Bore x Stroke: 90.0mm x 66.0mm

Compression Ratio: 11.3:1

Fuel Delivery: Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I

Horsepower 197

Torque 123 ft. lbs.

GIDDY UP GO!!

I don't think it would fit. Or at least I'd be very surprised. why don't you buy one and try it and let us know how it works? and post pictures...

Looks the same but don't know it it's the same size or not. Would be nice to find a salvaged one at a good price so you would have all the Computers and wiring harness. Maybe one day a few hundred thousand miles from now when my RSV starts to get tired.

http://www.technical-specification.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011YamahaVMAX.jpg

If I wanted a RSV with more power, I think swapping a new V-Max powerplant would be the ideal way to go.

ENGINE Type:102-cubic-inch (1679cc) liquid-cooled 65° V-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder

Bore x Stroke: 90.0mm x 66.0mm

Compression Ratio: 11.3:1

Fuel Delivery: Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I

Horsepower 197

Torque 123 ft. lbs.

GIDDY UP GO!!

Like I thought of the other responder with the same response (and didn't both replying to) I think this is a useless response as the option doesn't give one an RSV with more power, but a totally different bike.

Now, if you are saying the V-Max engine is a straight drop-in fit to the RSV, then that's another story.

Featured Bike

1998 Yamaha Royal Star

"N2 IT"

OWNER: BRETT HAZELRIGG

Houston, TX

http://www.pcwracing.net/royalstarimages/star_front.jpg

I purchased this Royal Star new in March of 1998. The bike was ridden hard for more than 2 years. It was looking a little worn and the engine needed some work. I took the bike to my long time friend and technician Frank Briggs at Ks Motor sports in December 2001

http://www.pcwracing.net/royalstarimages/star_engine.jpg

The Engine:

• The cylinders were bored out at

• PCW Racing in Schenectady New York to accept a Weisco 10.5 to 1 1394cc big bore kit that was purchased from Orient Express Racing .
  • PCW Racing installed stainless steel 1.5mm oversized intake and exhaust valves in the heads for more flow.
  • At PCW Racing the heads were bowl ported, polished, decked and a serdi 3 angle valve job was done for maximum airflow.
  • The intakes with the K&N air filters were designed and hand made of aluminum by John Ganey of PCW Racing.
  • The carburetion is a one off special fabrication of 4 36mm flat slide Mikuni carbs designed and hand built by John Ganey at PCW Racing.
  • Cams and valve springs are off the shelf factory parts for a Yamaha V-max.
  • The crankshaft was sent to Falicon Crankshafts in Clearwater Florida were it was balanced, blueprinted polished, and the crank cheeks were knife edged. V-max rods were also installed to handle the extra stress from the 116-rw hp that the engine pumps out.
  • A Pingle high flow fuel petcock was added to the stock fuel tank to insure adequate fuel delivery to the larger carburetors.
  • The ignition is a Dyna 3000 with stock Yamaha ignition coils.
  • The bike dynoed 116- rear wheel h.p at 8000 rpm with 88 ft lbs of torque at 4000 rpm.
  • The stock rear end was favored over the V-max ring and pinion and re-installed
  • The total customization process took 2 years and 6 months.

http://www.pcwracing.net/royalstarimages/star_rear.jpg

The Story:

• I like the Royal Star as a cruiser it is a solid ride. I knew I wanted something a little different but wanted to keep the stock look. I told Frank to completely disassemble the bike and start from the ground up. That is how the whole customization process began and the bike got its name N2 IT. ( IN TO IT )
  • Frank Briggs at Ks Motorsports performed all engine and motorcycle assembly.
  • Ks Motor sports had the frame, handle bars, front end, swing arm, forward controls and engine cases sent out and powder coated gloss black.
  • The handle bar switch housings and rear brake caliper were sent out and chromed at Barons in Fallbrook California.
  • The 17inch Wizard rims, brake calipers and rotors were purchased from RC components in Bowling Green Kentucky.
  • A 17inch x 70x 170 Metzler ME-880 was used for the rear tire and a 17inch x70x 150 Metzler Z4 was used for the front.
  • The front suspension was lowered 1.5 inches and gold valve emulators were installed for a better ride.
  • A new rear shock from Yamaha was installed and the rear of the bike was lowered 1.5 inches. The bike actually handles well in corners now with the 17inch rims and Metzler tires.
  • A radio caddy fairing from the Trike Shop was installed for rider protection. For some quality sound Frank installed a Kenwood CD player and two 6-inch Kenwood marine speakers in the fairing. The sound system totally rocks.
  • The paint was applied by Joe of Joes bikes and boards in Spring Texas. The maroon is the factory Yamaha color for the bike in 1998.
  • The rear taillight and turn signal assembly was removed and a teardrop LED was added at Mike Millburn’s in Pasadena Texas.
  • Frank Briggs designed the special side mount license plate bracket. The LED was added to illuminate the license plate.
  • The forward controls and differential cover came from Pro-One in Pomona California.
  • The tachometer and suspension lowering kits are from Barons custom accessories.
  • The gold valve emulators are from Race Tech.
  • Special thanks goes out to technician Frank Briggs, service manager Shane Stubbs and Jeremy Peterson of Ks Motor sports in Humble Texas for their patience and dedication to see the project completed.
  • Special Thanks goes out to John Ganey owner and custom bike builder of PCW racing for all the machine work performed on the heads, cylinders and the special one of a kind hand fabricated 36mm Mikuni carburetors and intakes.

I really like the looks of this bike. I am interested in doing something simlar to this. I want to do it to a RSV. I want to "blacken" it out. I want to leave the front fairing on but loose the rear seat and bags. I want ot put some loud pipes,engine performance upgrades, lower it and...... I looked at a 2003 that has had some minor damage to it. I will know next saturday if the deal is going to happen. The guy selling it is going to consider my offer and see if he can sell the rear bags and trunk seperately. Actually if anyone wants to customize there RSTD with rear venture accessories let me know this week. He or I will have the trunk, both rear side bags and all brackets to attatch. Ofcourse i will be keeping my 05 venture stock for cruising. :fingers-crossed-emo

Like I thought of the other responder with the same response (and didn't both replying to) I think this is a useless response as the option doesn't give one an RSV with more power, but a totally different bike.

Now, if you are saying the V-Max engine is a straight drop-in fit to the RSV, then that's another story.

The Vmax engine is not a strait drop in for the RSV. It can be dropped in with very few alterations to a 1st gen though....Right Dingy

:)

The Vmax engine is not a strait drop in for the RSV. It can be dropped in with very few alterations to a 1st gen though....Right Dingy

:)

If the question is a 1st gen VMax into a 1st gen Venture, then the engine is a drop in right up to the point of the carbs then it gets a little complicated.

The carbs set at least a 1/2" higher on a Vmax than on a Venture. This makes the top of the left rear carb touch the upper frame rail when putting carbs in. Also choke & throttle cables need reworked. Air box needs to retain the Venture one unless battery is relocated. The wiring needs to be altered for the VBoost controller.

There is a very long shot that a 2nd gen VMax might fit as well. The stroke length is the same from a 1st gen to a 2nd gen Vmax, which means the overall configuration of the block may have remained the same with only the bore being increased. I doubt it would work, but if funding were to become available in the form of generous donations, I will give it a shot.

More of an issue than the block would be the rear swing arm would need reworked in order to get an adequate tire on it. This has been done on 1st gen VMaxs, but is is not for the faint of heart. Best one I have found added another universal joint on rear drive to get shaft offset more.

Gary

I was wondering, wouldn't a turbo charger or super charger give the boost in power

that people are seeking? With all the great thinkers and tinkers here I'm quite sure it's been thought of. :detective: Or is that a can of worms that should not be opened?

It has been done on VMaxs, prices I have seen have been 5K and up.

Those bikes then went with a chain drive.

Gary

It has been done on VMaxs, prices I have seen have been 5K and up.

Those bikes then went with a chain drive.

Gary

I can believe that it would cost in the 5k area, a friend of mine just put a turbo charger kit on his on his snow sled and it cost him 5 big ones. He installed it himself or it would cost him another 15 or 20 hrs labor. Horse power gain is 40 hp, I think he said he'd go from 135hp to 175hp. Just to fly through snow and climb mountains.:shock3: Can probably answer my own question, but why change to chain drive?

I can believe that it would cost in the 5k area, a friend of mine just put a turbo charger kit on his on his snow sled and it cost him 5 big ones. He installed it himself or it would cost him another 15 or 20 hrs labor. Horse power gain is 40 hp, I think he said he'd go from 135hp to 175hp. Just to fly through snow and climb mountains.:shock3: Can probably answer my own question, but why change to chain drive?

The pinion gear in the final drive is a weak link in putting a lot of power to the rear wheel, small diameter and can be snapped off. Also drive shafts will twist.

The chain drive eliminates the two right angle power transmission changes. Thus it puts more actual HP to the rear wheel and it can be made as sturdy as you can afford.

Gary