IGNORED

Eye update, not good

Venturous Randy

After having to go back to the eye surgeon and having to deal with a detached retina, instead of seeing some improvement, it has got worse. I called the Dr's office yesterday and they told me to come in immediately. It has now been determined that my loss of sight in my right eye is due to a lack of adequate blood flow. Unfortunately, this is not fixable. And, this goes back to being type 2 diabetic for 30 years and not always doing a good job keeping it in good control.

After my marriage separation and divorce and losing about 50 pounds, I was able to get my diabetes in such good control that I had my A1C in the 6.4 range, which is very good, and that was after going off insulin. After my last A1C creeping back up to 8.3, I have now gone back on insulin. I have gained a few pounds back, but with this eye problem, loosing my job and dealing with some depression, I have not been getting the exercise I was getting.

Now, my primary concern is to try to keep the other eye healthy.

RandyA

Here for you in whatever I can do and whenever you need it ....

Hang in there buddy !!

After having to go back to the eye surgeon and having to deal with a detached retina, instead of seeing some improvement, it has got worse. I called the Dr's office yesterday and they told me to come in immediately. It has now been determined that my loss of sight in my right eye is due to a lack of adequate blood flow. Unfortunately, this is not fixable. And, this goes back to being type 2 diabetic for 30 years and not always doing a good job keeping it in good control.

After my marriage separation and divorce and losing about 50 pounds, I was able to get my diabetes in such good control that I had my A1C in the 6.4 range, which is very good, and that was after going off insulin. After my last A1C creeping back up to 8.3, I have now gone back on insulin. I have gained a few pounds back, but with this eye problem, loosing my job and dealing with some depression, I have not been getting the exercise I was getting.

Now, my primary concern is to try to keep the other eye healthy.

RandyA

All of you that are diabetic, please please take care of yourselves. I don't have alot of experience with the disease, however what I have is enough. One of my HS teachers has type 1 diabetes, he was diagnosed when he was 17. When I met him in HS he was already mostly blind from the disease, he was in his late mid to late 40's at the time. I asked him how much he could see because he was very good at looking at someone and making them feel he was in the conversation. He mostly saw colors and shapes. He was still able to read large print. But as he said, he knew I had a very intense red hair, but it was my voice he knew. To this day he can still pick me out of a crowd by voice, and has. He managed his diabetes well. But as a precaution he kept a few students trained to handle an emergency as a just in case. I was one of those. Since I know there's more diabetics on the forum. I have about 6-8 novalog R pens and a vial of humalin N unopened that were donated to my diabetic cat. If you have a script for these, let me know. They've never been opened, been refrigerated, and are good until next year. I'd like to see them go to someone who can use em.

Hey Randy I am sorry to hear of your eye problems. The good news is that you can still do everything with one eye that you did with two, but please look after your good eye. About the only thing that might give you issues is depth perception, like when someone hands you a beer or a coffee,( I still have to use two hands as I cant tell exactly where it is.)

Take care of yourself, we are here for you if you need anything at all.

Brian

Edited by friesman

Sorry to hear your eye isnt responding as well as we all hoped, you need to go for a 1 hr walk everyday, doesnt cost a dime and its great for your overall health, all the best to ya Randy, I hope things start going better for you soon:fingers-crossed-emo

Craig