IGNORED

Just an FYI for anyone shipping something from US to Canada

SilvrT

DO NOT ship by UPS

ALWAYS ship via USPS (United States Postal Service)

The reason's are:

1. UPS rates are generally higher

2. If sent by UPS ground, it generally takes longer

3. If the value is over $20, we get dinged brokerage fees when we receive the package as well as tax on the value.

4. If you can't be home when the package arrives, you have to wait for the 1st delivery attempt and then either go out of your way to their location to get it or have the delivery location changed. The latter cannot be done until AFTER a 1st deliver attempt is made.

If you send via USPS, none of this applys.

Why do I post this?

Because I bought an item off a member on another forum for $65 + $15 for shipping and got dinged $35.71 after the fact for brokerage fees ... add that up and it's really not worth the purchase.

What's worse is that UPS assured the sender that there would be NO ADDITIONAL fees.

I f****n HATE UPS coz they have done this to me before.

Yep to what SilvrT says.

I haven't actually shipped anything vie UPS to my Canadian customers but know well the pitfalls doing so. Thus all my shipping across the border is thru USPS. Still every once in a while they will have to pony up some money in either taxes or brokerage fees. Marking the packages as a gift helps as well. Whatever it takes to help the brothers across the border to save some funds.

Items are almost always received within a week too, regardless of whether it's Ontario or one of the western provinces since they go by priority air.

Larry

the Only way to get anything shipped into Canada without getting a brokerage fee is to use USPS. Ive had Fedex, UPS, Purolator all want to charge me big charges for the brokerage fees. It really bugs me how they hide this and dont list the charges anywhere until the item shows at your door.

When ordering anything from the US now is I specify USPS and in the text box for special directions the sellers always have I write in "Ship US Postal Service ONLY" If sent by any other carrier this parcel will be refused at the door by buyer and seller will issue full refund including shipping.

So far this seems to get the sellers attention because it may cost them if they dont follow my instructions. I am sick and tired of paying the high hidden costs to ship across the border. One time I had a satellite radio receiver come in that was worth about 45 bucks and Fedex had the nerve to want to chage me 30 bucks in brokerage fees, I let that one go back to sender and had Visa reverse the charge as I had specified the shipping with USPS>

Brian

I let that one go back to sender and had Visa reverse the charge as I had specified the shipping with USPS>

Brian

Seeing as this guy apologized for not following my request, that he is not a "vendor", and that the total cost now to me is still a bit under what a new one would have been, I'm paying the extra fees but I will certainly be using your method in future.

I agree, and use USPS almost all the time, but sometimes it's unavoidable with a large fairly heavy item. I'll then try to ship it as a gift of no value, and make sure the NAFTA statement in on the bill of lading.... When shipping to Europe we just have to bite the bullet...

... to rectify a situation. Kudos to the sender of my package!

He has discussed the issue with UPS (remember, they told him there would be no additional fees) and he is arranging with them to reverse the brokerage fees.

A great big THANK YOU!!!

Yah! shipping across the border is a pain in the butt, even with USPS!! I let my Canadian friends ship stuff to here then they come over and pick it up. I have also in the past shipped a few things by taking it across the border and mailing it in Canada...

I do have a drop point in Blaine, WA which only costs me $5 per pickup so that gets around the cross-border shipping problem (and cost) but sometimes it's more convenient to pay the shipping cost when it isn't too much. In this case, it would normally have only meant an extra $10 and I'd burn that much gas going to Blaine & back so why bother.

As it turns out, UPS has now reversed the brokerage fees (the guy had the paperwork adjusted to "gift") and all I'm now having to pay is $15 for document processing fees.

I can live with that.

USPS Priority Mail is generally the least cost way to ship packages internationally, not only Canada. However, you need to check the package dimensions, and maximum insurance which will vary from country to country. generally maximum size is 108inches girth plus length, but some countries is less.

USPS Priority Mail is generally the least cost way to ship packages internationally, not only Canada. However, you need to check the package dimensions, and maximum insurance which will vary from country to country. generally maximum size is 108inches girth plus length, but some countries is less.

But with USPS the price is the price, with UPS and the others there is that exhorbitant hidden brokerage fee for crossing customs, so even if USPS might be a bit higher because of dimensions, overall it will probably still be cheaper.

I really get angry over the way the couriers just try to hide this fee when people send a parcel internationally, but the recever is expected to pay for it without any advance notice.

Brian

Most of the dimensions limits like the 108inches width+girth can not be exceeded with USPS, irregardless of what one is willing to pay. It does vary somewhat country to country. And USPS has a co-op agreement with Fedex for large packages that exceed USPS sizes, I'm not sure if that gets into the end user fees or not. I've only used that once for Australia, and am not sure of what end fees were charged in addition to duties.

Most of the dimensions limits like the 108inches width+girth can not be exceeded with USPS, irregardless of what one is willing to pay. It does vary somewhat country to country. And USPS has a co-op agreement with Fedex for large packages that exceed USPS sizes, I'm not sure if that gets into the end user fees or not. I've only used that once for Australia, and am not sure of what end fees were charged in addition to duties.

AAHHH! ok I read your post ioncorrectly thansk for clarifying that for me Randy.

Brian

... to rectify a situation. Kudos to the sender of my package!

He has discussed the issue with UPS (remember, they told him there would be no additional fees) and he is arranging with them to reverse the brokerage fees.

A great big THANK YOU!!!

As I was reading along here I was hoping this would happen. Glad it did. I can say that I am happy you posted this SilvrT, for I had no idea and usually request UPS here for any of my packages to be received. I sent my rider-seat to Rick Butler a while back in Texas. I used UPS, the shipping was $50.00 ($25.00 for going and $25.00 for coming back to me), the charge for the job from Rick was $35.00. The package was a bulky item though.

Thanks again for informing those of us whom did not know these things. Also thanks to guy whom made this a better transaction for you. That is the way I would have handled that situation. Always pays to be good to people and treat everyone as you would want to be treated. Has costed me a little extra sometimes, but the feeling of knowing I did what was right is worth far more.

I once traded trucks with a fellow and the truck I traded him blew the engine just after we had traded, maybe 200 miles or so. He was upset about it and accused me of knowing something was wrong. When I heard of it, I took the truck that I got from him and the title and went looking for him.

I went to his brother's house and told him that I was going to give the truck back and he could keep them both with the title in hand. His brother told me not to worry about that and do not think anything of it. He did finally talk me out of it. But if there was going to be hard feelings, then I would have gladly done it in a heart beat. Just me.....I am not bragging here, I just think this is the respectful way to do things. And I am glad there are others that believe this too.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

After my first experience with UPS shipping from the U.S. to Canada I've requested USPS when ordering anything else. Think my first item was $60 brokerage plust HST (13% sales tax).

When I ordered my LED lights from Custom Dynamics they have :

Canada & Mexico:

(Customer is responsible for all Duty and Custom Fees)

Mail (3-4 weeks): $11.95

Preferred Shipping Method: UPS Expedited (2-3 days to most locations): Calculated on weight with insurance and tracking, Brokerage Fees* Included, Rates Starting at $32.95 for 1-5 lb package, Guaranteed Delivery

So I thought, "okay.... I'll try it and see". Sure enough, NO BROKERAGE FEE was charged on delivery. Still, future shipments I'll request USPS to make sure.Also, think if it is marked as "motorcycle parts" there is no brokerage fee but not sure about this.

Also, think if it is marked as "motorcycle parts" there is no brokerage fee but not sure about this.

Quite likely there is no DUTY...but they will charge you HST and Brokerage fee.

The brokerage fee is supposedly for doing the paper work to import the item.

USPS is definately the cheaper...but higher risk because once it is handed over the the Canadian postal service, tracking stops.

Quite likely there is no DUTY...but they will charge you HST and Brokerage fee.

The brokerage fee is supposedly for doing the paper work to import the item.

USPS is definately the cheaper...but higher risk because once it is handed over the the Canadian postal service, tracking stops.

DUTY ... isn't that a thing of the past? I don't recall any such thing as "DUTY" on anything I've brought across the border over the past several years. Heck, even if you go state-side and buy a bunch of stuff, they don't seem to care if you're over the limit.

What exactly is DUTY?

A lot of stuff is Duty Free.....but trust me....you can still get dinged big time for duty.

Ask about importing Jewellery....One of my clients got charged something like 35% on a diamond/gold ring.

Duty is a tax governments impose to make imported goods more expensive.

This is supposed to promote buying domestically therefore protecting local jobs and building their own economy rather than everyone sending all the money to another country.

I wonder what the restrictions are coming from, Canada, to the United States ? Is there DUTY fees and brokerage fees ? Just wondering...... I have always admired Canada as a country with some really good respectful border laws. Unlike the United States, no disrespect to either side. Just from what some has told to me lately, since I mentioned riding in that part of the world. I am still trying to learn more. I have talked to people whom have hunted up that way and have been ask a number of times to go up that way and bow-hunt for bear and go fishing . I do not bear hunt.

But sometimes I think the United States is just to liberal with the border guidelines for anyone or place. Way,way,way to liberal or free, sort of speak. I do not want to take away from this thread here or make this a border argument. Just wondering about the shipment laws coming this way. ???? :confused24: :think: :usa:

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

A lot of stuff is Duty Free.....but trust me....you can still get dinged big time for duty.

Ask about importing Jewellery....One of my clients got charged something like 35% on a diamond/gold ring.

Duty is a tax governments impose to make imported goods more expensive.

This is supposed to promote buying domestically therefore protecting local jobs and building their own economy rather than everyone sending all the money to another country.

Duties on most goods exchanged back and forth between the US and Canada are supposed to be tariff free for about the last 10 years ( since Nafta came in). there are still a couple of types of trade where tariffs apply, but its something less than 5%of our total trade .

If the goods come from offshore countries most tariffs still apply. (ie; sometimes something imported from the US was actually originally from China so duty might be applied)

Brian

Guest Slab_Ryder

I now Ship to a PO Box I rent in Houlton Me. It makes a nice day ride from Halifax, to get a package, install or wear, then cross back into Canada