IGNORED

What is your Christmas present to yourself?

SilvrT

c'mon now... I know I ain't the only one who buys hisself a gift for xmas. Well, the wife and I decided to get a "common" gift...one that we both wanted and both can use so, we went out and bought a new 37" HDTV and a HD satellite receiver (we already have satellite TV). WOW! ... what a difference and, what a learning experience we went through before we settled on a specific TV brand/model. Then came the fun and games connecting everything (Satellite receiver, DVD player, Stereo system...) ... thos "sales people" don't tell ya everything and even though they seem knowledgeable, they don't always know everything either. I got the HDMI/DVI cable (coz the sales guy said I should)... but when I hooked it up (tried the s-video first) .... I had no sound! Great picture...no sound. Phoned the satellite tech support ... guy I got said I needed to turn the TV on before the SAT receiver so that a proper "handshake" could be made... well, that didn't work. Then I phoned the store where I bought the stuff... tech guy there wasn't sure why but said try shutting it all off. (I was at work during these calls so couldn't actually do anything). Got home, tried shutting off and starting TV first, then SAT receiver... no sound. Got on the phone with SAT tech again...went from tier one to tier two all the way to tier three support...they even downloaded a manual for the TV... and that's where it is obvious what was needed.... a simple $12 Audio 2-into-one cable that runs the audio from the SAT box to the single RCA/DVI audio jack on the back of the TV. THAT info was not in the paper manual that came with anything and it's obvious none of the tech guys knew what was needed without themselves referring to a "book". This process took over an hour and a half!

Well, we're very happy with it now but this whole thing proves a point... the more "high-tech" things become, the more knowledge a person has to absorb and ya sure can't rely on nobody tellin ya simple, clear, layman's instructions no more.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same problem until I hooked the SAT Audio into my Stereo Amp

and switched it to TV (used the TV input) ,.. Darn near pealed the paint off

the walls and chattered my windows ... Ferfot to turn the amp down .. hahaha .... Sounds great in 7:1 800w surround sound ...

OH YEAH ... What did I get myself for christmas ... A new home and all the bills

caused by the grandkids ...

Got the 42 inch plasma last year. This year something a little different. A fire and water resistant SAFE. I needed to store some valuables at home. We got all the high priority stuff at the safe deposit at the bank. This home safe holds the keys and titles to my first gens.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

DiamondR backrest, DiamondR RSV horn side cover, DiamondR leveling links, HD license bracket with lights, chrome radiater grill, rain booties, low air pressure pump with gauge, polishing kit, turn signal shades, passing lamps. Shades, chrome fender trim, chrome saddle bags trim are coming in the New Year.

I've also asked Santa for good warm weather for all of us so we can get rid of this cabin fever and go riding! :sign isnt that spec

:canada::7_6_3[1]::canada: