IGNORED

Welding Question

GolfVenture

I was thinking about getting one of these. 120 Amp MIG/Flux Wire Welder with Wheels from Harbor Freight. I've never welded before. Is welding something that one can learn from a home video or should one attend a class or should it be left to someone that has been welding for a few years.

Dont waste your time on it, if you absolutely need to go with 110 buy a Lincoln or a Miller. The HF is junk, plain and simple, and if you dont have a lot of welding experience you will not have a solid weld. If you are going to use one and can afford it, go with a 220 volt setup. Both Lincoln and Miller offer great small welders up to 175 amps and you'll get much better welds

:2cents:

You can also get the basics on how to use the machine on the internet or by the multitude of books available. Welding is all setting the machine up correctly and practicing your technique.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Whatever welder you get, make sure that it has the capability to use gas shielding or flux core, if you wish.

Once you try using gas shielding, you will never use flux core again.

You can learn to weld on your own with some vids and books, and welding together a bunch of scrap metal. Until you get good at it do not try to weld anything that a failed weld would create a safety issue. Start with making decorative projects.

Miller has some new welders out that can be plugged into either 110 or 220. It just has less power when on 110. You will only need the 220 power when you need to weld thicker metal.

Of course the Miller or Lincoln have a bigger price tag, but some times you get what you pay for. The MIG welder that I have is an HTP brand. In 20 years I have ever had an issue with it.

I am just starting the early parts of shopping for a TIG welder to add to my shop.:mo money:

I was thinking about getting one of these. 120 Amp MIG/Flux Wire Welder with Wheels from Harbor Freight. I've never welded before. Is welding something that one can learn from a home video or should one attend a class or should it be left to someone that has been welding for a few years.

Do you mean 120 volt? I have a 115 volt stick welder that I used to make a lift adapter. I had a lot of trouble striking an arc, lots of splatter and voids. Managed to get the beads filled in enough to make it work, but not pretty welds. Better to use a 220/240 volt power supply and a more powerful welder. You can learn some by searching the internet, and most welders come with some basic instructions. Practice on some scrap metal before you take on the task of making parts you want to make look good and function well. It may be more cost effective to have a pro do it if you are considering one small project.

Totally agree with what Jeff said.

I have the Miller 110/220 suitcase stick welder. A great little welder, and to switch from 110 to 220 all you do is change the plug. It will do anything you need it to do. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Also have a Lincoln 110 wire feed and oxy set up.

Your equipment choice will depend on the type of welding you plan on doing.

Most Comm College's offer welding classes at night for the home handyman. That, in my opinion, is also well worth the money.

Stick welding is very susceptable moisture in the welding rods.

That can also explain why you had a hard time getting the arc started etc.

Always keep your rods in a warm, dry place...and before you actually start a major project, it doesn't hurt to put them into an oven to warm up and dry out.

With the right rods, and a little care, even the cheap 110v welders will do a decent job.

One of the biggest mistakes folks make is "surface welding".

you can have a nice bead but if there isn't enough penetration you won't have any strength.

For around the house I love my Lincoln Weld Pack 100 can take it any where plug in and weld if I have any heavy duty welding to do I pull out my Lincoln Power Arc 5000 and do it with stick I have been known to power my wire welder of this when needed in the off roads. Patial to Lincoln I guess since Ive worked there for 23 years. GO RED :big-grin-emoticon::clap2::happy65:

I have been around welding all my life, but never really cared for it. I leave my welding up to a good friend whom has welded for many many years. I have welded some and it looked pretty good and held. The trick I learned is that what welding is,is this, you are melting two metals together. You must mix them together as the metals melt, and that is the trick that is hard to learn.

You must set your welder correctly for every job and know your rods and setting up the welder. I never did get the over head welding technique down. I could not do it. Over head welding is tough. Unless you are planning a large project or building a lot, I would not recommend buying anything. Leave up to those whom already been there and done that. Spend the money to have the professionals do it.

It is also a dangerous job, be very careful. I burnt my eyes once and once is enough for me.

Fuzzy

If you have the desire to learn then you can do anything. I too would stay away from the Hf welders. Lincoln Miller an Hobart make good at home machines for wire welding. You will not like the results of flux core wire a shielding gas works better either CO2 or argon. However it does not work well outdoors if there is a breeze. Its not hard to wire weld with a lil practice the hardest part is listening an watching the weld an knowing what it is doing an what it needs to perform better. Most home welders do not do a lot of overhead welding which to me is the hardest to do because i dont do enough to know how to set up the machine. I do know a wire machine doesnt weld overhead very well for me the nozzle stops up to quick. I have a Lincoln i think 225 i got at lowes for around 700.00 it came with a cd an booklet that be would very good for someone who has never welded. Find some scraps to put together an practice on varying thicknesses. when you find the sweet spot make a note of wire speed temperature an thickness of material welding for future ref. The initial investment maybe to steep for you but it will last a lifetime. If your like me your not rich enough to afford cheap tools I'm still using a lot of my grandfathers tools. The rewards of fixing something yourself is priceless an can be passed down from generation to generation. P.S. most machines will get cold enough but may only get so hot so size does matter to a degree. If your still interested I would suggest going to your local welding supply an talking with a knowledgeable sales rep. on the size for your needs then go somewhere else an buy it if there prices arent in line.

Thanks FussyRSTD: I think that is the best advise for me.

You are welcome. But do not let me discourage you from learning. If this is something you have always wanted to do and feel now is the time and can afford it, then by all means GO FOR IT.

I once wanted a welder after I got my garage built. After thinking to myself, I said "Self, no more welding than you would need, just get Bub Price to do it." So that is what I did.

I had him to make me a flag holder for my trailer hitch on my bike. I drew the plans and done the measuring, he looked it all over and I left it with him. When I went to pick it up, he had made some changes to my plans and it was great. I posted it here.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63619

Fuzzy

As mentioned earlier Hobart, miller, and lincolin are the choices to go by. If you are only going to have one welder a 225 amp 220 volt stick welder is the best alround choice. You can even add a carbon arch torch to it to produce an electrical flame that is handy for heating metal and brazing. The carbon torch is also great for flameless heating of rusted nuts and bolts etc. You simply hold the part between the carbon rods like they were chop sticks, until the nut or such turns red hot.

Learning to weld is not that difficult you can take a small course at the local high school or collage (providing they have the facility's and equipment. Or you can teach your self.

A ferw things to remember are

1. Keep your rods in a dry place ( some rods like 6011 and 6013 don't mind getting wet, and are good all purpose rods that work well with an AC welder. but the majority of rods need to be kept dry).
  2. Keep your arc as short as possible. ( the tip of the rod as close as possible without sticking. A good rule of thumb is, that the length of your arc, should be no longer than the dia. of the rod you are using.
  3. Dont travel too fast ( Move you rod as slow as possible but watch the puddle carefully to avoid blowing right through. If you move too fast the weld will just lay a thin bead on top of the metal and the weld will be weak.)
  4. Listen while you weld.It should sound like smooth sissling bacon (eat first because the sound could make you hungry for bacon and eggs)
  5. Practice, practice practice this is one of those arts that practice pays off big time. Do not get discouraged . you can only get better you can never get worse.(Just to give you some idea, I am self tought myself and have developed my skill up to the level were there is pretty much nothing I can't weld and have welded everything from small toys to heavy equipment as well as cut and lengthened frames on transport trucks.) Only you can limit yourself.
  6. Welders flash. You will most likely catch a few but unless you get a severe one you will be fine. I have had hundreds over the years and my vision is still as bad as it ever was.
  7. Last and most important!! FIRE SAFETY. this can be one of the best BBQ starters ever made, so be very aware of nearby Flammable and explosive material. ( it also never hurts to go back every once in awhile to check the area you have been welding in because a small spark under the right conditions can stay live for quite awhile and hide in little crevices).

A few years back I bought a used Hobart 250 wire feed welder for 800.00 from my Linweld dealer and absolutely Love it.I have welded for many years and to me wire feed is the way to go especially for in a shop or garage where you do not have a wind problem blowing the gas away from your weld as someone else mentioned plus you don't have to worry about rod getting wet or the rod sticking and chipping the slag away and the wire welder is much easier to use and makes a much better looking weld in my opinion.The main thing is getting the heat and wire speed figured out.I use .035 copper free wire and argon for shielding gas.I have made two trailers using it and it is awesome for doing exhaust and bodywork on a car.I don't use it a lot lately but when I do it is sure handy to have my own welder.I owned a small 110 welder and did not like it at all.For me 220 is the only way to go.

I bought a small Lincoln wire feed welder about 8 or so years ago. It has come in very handy around here and I've used it many times. I had only welded a few times in my life and never had any proper training. For simple home repairs on lawn equipment and etc., anybody can become proficient enough to get the job safely done with a few hours of practice. Plus, I enjoy doing it myself.

Like others here have said though, buy a 220V unit. Mine is a 110V model from Home Depot. It was less than $200.00. It works OK on thin gauge steel, up to 1/8" or so. I've even welded 1/4" steel with it and it will work but you have to go slow and I don't know that I would trust it for anything structural. Spend the extra money and get a 220V unit.

If I remember right Hobart makes a M.I.G. welder now that all you need to know is you metal thickness. You just turn the dial to that thicknes and the machine sets itself (wire speed and volts). Overhead weld welding is easy, it's just like welding flat on a table just over you head. If you can afford spending a little more cash get a T.I.G. welder. Much cleaner welds. Also look at the duty cycle some welders have a lowwer cycle then others.

Duty cycle is a welding equipment specification which defines the number of minutes, within a 10 minute period, during which a given welder can safely produce a particular welding current.

For example, a 150 amp. welder with a 30% duty cycle must be "rested" for at least 7 minutes after 3 minutes of continuous welding.

A few years back I bought a used Hobart 250 wire feed welder for 800.00 from my Linweld dealer and absolutely Love it.I have welded for many years and to me wire feed is the way to go especially for in a shop or garage where you do not have a wind problem blowing the gas away from your weld as someone else mentioned plus you don't have to worry about rod getting wet or the rod sticking and chipping the slag away and the wire welder is much easier to use and makes a much better looking weld in my opinion.The main thing is getting the heat and wire speed figured out.I use .035 copper free wire and argon for shielding gas.I have made two trailers using it and it is awesome for doing exhaust and bodywork on a car.I don't use it a lot lately but when I do it is sure handy to have my own welder.I owned a small 110 welder and did not like it at all.For me 220 is the only way to go.
I agree that a mig welder is a wonderful machine to have and does beatifull work, for all the reasons mentioned. The only reason I recomend a stick welder is because of its versatility and the welds are often stronger. I have used it for burning holes, using a 6010 rod which I often wet to help keep it cool and cutting metal and with the carbon arch attachement for heating and brazing. And although most rods do not like dampness, 6013 is not so fussy, you can actually drop it in a puddle of water and still weld with and for an AC welding machine it is the ideal all purpose rod. I have used it to weld tie down chains to a flatbed to secure 20,000 LB steel coils and trailer landing gear. Two items that can really test a weld. 7014 also a good AC rod and very easy to weld with does not like moisture, but even then grounding it out and letting it get hot for a few seconds usually revives it. But don't let me sway you from gettting a mig welder, if all you want is something to do simple welding by all means get a good mig welder. The cheaper ones have one major down fall. As you improve you will want to get a better machine so spend the money the first time around.and get one that use's gas as well as flux core wire. The gas is nice and results in a better cleaner weld, but flux core is very handy for portability.

Buddy of mine fried his Truck ecu$$$ when welding plow frame. Mechanic said if battery was disconnected it wouldn't have happened.

This is 100% correct over the years I have seen ecu's, alternators, and even every bulb in the vehicle blown because someone did not disconnect the battery's. I use a device called zappit which you simply connect across the battery post's so you donot have to disconnect the battery's, which in vehicles with multiple battery's and connections can be a PITA. How reliable is it ? I am not 100% sure but so far it has not let me down.

Another note of caution always weld and ground on the same side of a bearing. If you ground on one side and weld on the other you can destroy the bearing due to pitting caused by arching. A contractor I know had to replace the turntable bearing on his excavator because some guy did this to him out in the field. I believe the bearing was worth over $100,000.00 dollars he told me but don't qoute me on that.

Edited by saddlebum