IGNORED

Rookie Mistake

Rick Haywood

So glad you're okay, Rick, but I have to ask...

WHY was that a rookie mistake?? Were the roads freshly wet so it was oil slicked??? Did you come down HARD on your front brake? :confused24:

I'm not understanding why you're calling this a rookie mistake and what you did exactly that made you fall??????

The "rookie mistake" was hitting my front brake on wet roads while riding in the middle of the lane. An experienced rider like me knows better than to do that. I didn't hit it hard but with the rain and the oil that tends to be in the middle of the road when you are in town it makes for a bad situation and then to use your front brake..................:bawling:

Edited by Rick Haywood

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick,

Man oh man oh man, what are we going to do with you. :confused24: Better get that book started, (Stupid things you should NOT do on a bike). :witch_brew:

Glad you came out as good as you did, could have been MUCH worse. What was that saying "20 years from now we will look back and laugh?" :whistling:

Take care of him Shirley, and if you need help give me a call. :pushups:

Bryan

glad your some what ok. the bike can be fixed.

i read that you and mike eusa1 where heading out on sunday and i saw that it was raining here in peru. and i thought to my self i hope they have a good safe ride. looks like that didnt happen. right now just rest up and take care of them ribs. i have had cracked ribs before and every breath you take in feels like a sharp knife was stuck in to you. so heal up them worry about the bike.

Really happy that it wasn't any worse. Don't feel bad about the "rookie" mistakes. After far more years than I care to think about, I still occasionally lapse into "rookie hell". Fortunately I've managed to avoid anything worse than some embarassment ... so far! Just heal up and try to remember for the next time.

Andy

Glad you are pretty much ok, couldn't hurt that hard head of yours, right?

Seriously tho, couldn't believe what I was reading. Feel bad that you left here and didn't make it very far. Take it easy until you feel better.

Glad Mike was there to help ya. Guess it's time you think about "triking" it, huh? LOLOL!! You do realize this would not have happened if you had a trike...just saying...

Don

Rick,

Sorry to hear that you scratched that helment. Glad your not hurt any worse for the wear. Guess you will be sleeping in the lazy boy for a few weeks with the cracked ribs! That hurts me just thinking about them. My friend you take care make sure you get the breathing exercise so your lungs do not let fluid build up or phenoma set in. Get well and hope to see you soon.

Brian & Sherrie Lee

AKA Cowboy.

Hey Rick, glad you're not more seriously injured. Reading your post was a little de ja vu for me. It was almost a month ago I tapped my front brake and went down sliding too. Pretty sure the hail on the road and fairly heavy trailer in tow didn't help my cause much. As you did, I learned some lessons (that I already knew too). You also remind to be so thankful. In my situation the bike is a total loss, but I walked away with minor bruising. Heal quickly.

I had two really close ones on my old bike an 88 Voyager.First time I was slowing down at an intersection with a merging lane curve and some guys had poured concrete and washed their tools and got the street wet and I was using my front brake very lightly and soon my front tire starts to slide out from under me and I let off and hit the throttle and was able to keep it up.Made the old heart skip a few beats though.Second time I was riding home from work in rain and one road was being redone with asphalt and they did it in sections so I knew somewhere I was going to hit a spot with fresh oil on the surface and when I saw a sign that said bump ahead I knew this was it.I slowed to thirty not realizing just how slick it would be.When my front end dropped off into the oiled part suddenly I got big time front end wobble,a common problem on voyagers anyway,but on oil it was terrible I could hardly hang onto the bars.I slowed to 10 MPH and it felt like I was on Ice.Going up a slight grade my rear tire was spinning and I rode for a mile and a half with both feet down.I just thank God I knew this would be there and slowed down first.

I have been there and done that front brake at slow speed thingy on my RSD I had back in 1998. My wife and I both went down in a parking lot. Neither of us physically hurt but it again reminded me to stay off the front brake at slow speeds which is hard to do sometimes. I notice that I get to comfortable myself and that is when we get caught.

Elliott

And this is the exact reason linked brakes are a bad idea on the 1st gens.

Any time you do any braking you are using a front brake.

Glad your OK Rick, been a bad year here for members.

Gary

The trick is to not ride in the rain, and to stay out of the oily center of the lane if you can't...

Glad you came out of it only slightly dented Rick.... :thumbsup2: