IGNORED

Wild Fires - Texas

aharbi

‎14,000 acres burning in/around Austin, zero percent contained. Lost 300 homes with 100 more in imminent damger. All fire personell within 200 miles to report. National guard has been activated. I can smell smoke in the air and see the glow in the sky from my front yard. Worried - hell yes!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/321362_10150373148440864_721245863_10011131_5951669_n.jpg

Photo taken by a TWTexan member around 5pm today outside Bastrop, TX.

There are a couple members on that board packed up and ready to run and others who are taking in those who have lost everything.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63847

Zero percent contained. Power companies shutting off power as to not endanger the evacuees from driving over downed lines. Just had two fire retardent air drops. Stable lost 30 horses. 30 mph winds are driving 50 foot flames. This is not good.

There are 63 wild fires burning covering 32,936 acres. Closest was 1 1/2 miles from us but was contained last night after burning several more homes. It's hard running thru the house deciding what to take, jewelery? pictures? papers? The major Bastrop County Complex fire has destroyed more than 20,000 acres, and is zero percent contained. Lost another 100 homes (400+ in all so far) last night. Estimated to be 20 miles long. about 30 miles from us and burning to the south-southwest. 70,000 evacuated.

if it comes down to it....take the jewellry and the photographs and anything else that might be irreplacable (heirlooms etc)

Other than those few items...that's what insurance is for!

If the call comes...don't delay. In fact, it might be wise to "pre-assemble" so you can grab and run!

Don't forget to make up a "flee-bag" with things like water, food, flashlight, batteries, and a few hundred dollars in cash and have it ready to go too!

Wow, so pitiful. So sorry for all involved. Take care and please be careful. I had somewhat of an experience of this same thing last year, only it was a flash flood and no time to get anything. Just get the family up and loaded and drive to high ground. It was close but thank God we lost nothing. We set in the truck and prayed for the rain to stop, it finally did. Only liked about two inches from getting into my garage. Never saw anything like it before in my 47 yrs. It rained 8-9 inches inches in 2 hours. I could only imagine that fire would even be worse.

The water was all the way to the back of the barn at one time that night at 2 am. The walk bridge to barn was completely covered and water running through the back yard. Left this log laying on top of walk-bridge once. The picture dates are not correct.

[ATTACH]60558[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]60559[/ATTACH]

As dry as it is here now, I still would rather you have the rain we are getting now than us. Light rain all morning and still raining. I hoping you all would get some from the tropical storms coming in. Thinking of all you all.

Fuzzy

It has been raining since last night from tropical storm Lee. So far we are just a little east of the heavy rain that is "training" through Tennessee going north east. We needed some rain, but this may be a bit much. Right now it is headed to the very area in the north east that was devistated by Irene.

I was so hoping that Texas was going to get some of the rain, but not to be.

RandyA

No containment in sight. Wild Fires consumed another 100 homes today, over 500 so far. Now approaching 50,000 acres. Schools closed as they are housing evacuees. US Forest Fire Service assisting. Several lakes closed to public for aircraft to draft water to fight fires. Urgent need for cattle trailers to evacuate livestock.

It chokes me up to see the devastation and the fear on the people’s faces. My heart goes out to them and their families. It so hard to imagine the pain, suffer and fear of that many people at one time from this catastrophe.

I pray you get some relief soon!

Steve

aka Bubber

I hate it for those that are affected by these fires. I hope they get them contained real soon.

All of those "looky-lou's who just HAVE to get down there and take pics and videos get in the way, and cause problems for emergency responders. We usually had Police posted to close off the roads, and not let anyone in, who couldn't help the cause. They need to stay away.

Sad to say but we need a direct hit from a tropical depression with a whole boatload of rain. It's right here by us too, FM 1488 has been shut down for a few days and they haven't hardly been able to contain it. This is very sad to hear of all the folks that are loosing everything.

Just saw a post by my niece, she lives a little north of you Brad, and she said there were ashes falling in their area............I hope and pray they can stop these wildfires.

Sad to say but we need a direct hit from a tropical depression with a whole boatload of rain. It's right here by us too, FM 1488 has been shut down for a few days and they haven't hardly been able to contain it. This is very sad to hear of all the folks that are loosing everything.