IGNORED

Test rode an RSV today

Took a test ride on an 08 RSV today and yes the whine is there. It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. My question is : does this whine get worse as you place more load on the engine such as riding two up or pulling a trailer. Really liked the bike. Just wanted some info before I take the plunge. Thanks.

Never heard it change according to weight. You will find it louder at certain rpms. Such as 45 in fourth. That's how mine works. I don't really hear mine much anymore. I don't even get out of third till about 65 when I'm just taking it easy. And you can take third to about ninety. Bike is smooth as it can be at higher RPM's .

Edited by BuddyRich

If the price is right (+/-10,5) then that's a good deal and you should pick it up. I guess I got lucky because my 08 is quiet. Dittos on the warranty, just had my headlight dimmer switch replaced.

WHOA, I musta been in a coma.....totally missed that you got an RSV! When did that happen? Were you drunk, or just in an emotionally weak frame of mind when you got it?? :whistling:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Joe

I usually get the whine at lower rpms: 2,500 ~ 3,200 rpm. I usually ride at 3,500 and up though, so the whine is gone. But when it is there I never notice it. Putting on some louder pipes definitely cuts your perception of the whine - my pipes are too very loud either.

Hi neighbor,

I just bought an 09 RSTD this summer and the whine in my bike seems to mirror what phertwo said above. I can hear it but not a problem.

I just changed oil at my 600 mile mark and put in synthetic. I haven't ridden it yet but I'm anxious to see if that changes the whine.

Edited by Hog Buyer

WHOA, I musta been in a coma.....totally missed that you got an RSV! When did that happen? Were you drunk, or just in an emotionally weak frame of mind when you got it?? :whistling:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Joe

He got it some time before the International Rally at Cody,Wy this past July. I think he's been keeping a tight lip on this so he won't catch flack from the rest of you antique riders. :stirthepot:

Got some pics somewhere and will post em later.

Larry

Hog Buyer, I'm going to warn you if your bike hasn't had full synthetic in it already.. Full synthetic can cause the clutch to slip under load in 5th gear at higher rpms. This stuff is so slick, and its a wet clutch, so just to let you know. I put in a full synthetic royal purple in, and it did seem to help the noise, maybe a tiny bit, but after a few weeks/months (don't really remember) the clutch started to slip in 5th.

Just be ready to either purchase the PCW spring or kit OR the barnett pressure plate if you start to notice the slip!

He got it some time before the International Rally at Cody,Wy this past July. I think he's been keeping a tight lip on this so he won't catch flack from the rest of you antique riders. :stirthepot:

Got some pics somewhere and will post em later.

Larry

Hope you weren't referring to me.....2003 Goldwing ain't antique yet, is it???

Joe

. I think he's been keeping a tight lip on this so he won't catch flack from the rest of you antique riders.

Good one Larry but most likely true, not even a picture on here.

Just got an 08 with 4,800 miles and it is quiet, but my other two Ventures both had the whine. You can block it out and you don't even here it anymore, as i is nothing to worry about.

Good luck with your decision.

BRad

Hey there

I purchased an 01 in 08 and the whine is there and consistent.

I like to think that I noted a bit of a decrease when I switched to full syn oil. (Yamalube)

But in any event, in no time I was used to it and it is just part of the integral part of a finely tuned machine.

Great price = great ride = great fun

Jinx

• 2 weeks later...
Before you purchase it, have the dealer see if the clutch basket has already been replaced with the "I" basket. If not, Yamaha will do it one time under warranty. Not sure if you were already aware of that.

I like what you have said yet I hear that many owners have a lot of difficulty getting their dealer to do it. They report that their dealer states the noise is normal. I have a 07 RSTD, the noise is there yet not crazy loud although it could bug me if I concentrate on it. I still have 14 months of factory warranty, should I wait until near the end of it or approach them now? Is there some factory recall or memo that I can use when I take it in?

Wait,wait why would you wait,it isn't going to heal on its own and you don't know how much of that 14 months its going to take to get it done.As far as I know there is no memo or recall that has been issued but it is a known problem that Yamaha and the dealers have tried to ignore for 11 years. Some dealers are very good about working with their riders others are not.If you don't get satisfaction from one try another.