IGNORED

Is a swivel hitch the way to go?

rstacy

So I found this 2009 trailer on CL. It was listed for $225. He took $185. It belonged to a Harley guy that used it a few times a year.

http://www.raymondstacy.com/hm.jpg

It came with a ball that swings from side to side. I guess this works ok but I was thinking that a swivel hitch like this would be better

http://www.raymondstacy.com/sh.jpg

The swivel hitch costs almost as much as the trailer. Is it a worthy investment?

I have the Northern Tool trailer with a cartop carrier. It does not have the swivel tongue and it pulls just fine... Took it out on a weekend ride last weekend and had no problems maneuvering twists and turns. I checked it when the bike is parked and ther is no tension on any of the parts....

Robert C.

Looks like the Harbor Frieght Tag Along. No longer listed on the site though.

There were customer reviews/recommendations...

- repack bearings

- rubber tubing on the shackle bolt (rear capture bolt)

- replaced lights with LED's

- put rubber thru the holes where the wiring went thru the frame

- replaced the zerk fittings - one was broken out of the box

- replaced bolts holding the "car carrier" box to the frame with eye bolts. Will replace these with ones I saw at a trailer store that fold flat. This way I can use helmet nets to secure any load down while trailering

- shimmed coupler bolts with a couple washers - DON'T over tighten or it squezes the coupler in and the ball release won't work properly

I didn't see how to remove the overload spring so I left it in. Didn't flip the axle either.

For wiring on my '09... I'm using a Reese converter.... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/sh...ighlight=reese - http://reese.cequent-cpi.com/product...l.asp?ID=78014 . My turn signal self cancel still works with the trailer hooked up.

For discussion on whether to swivel or not... check out http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14650&highlight=swivel+hitch

If it is the HF Tag Along... the specs are :

The tag-along trailer adds 16.6 cubic feet of storage space to your car, truck or motorcycle, and it's protected from the elements inside the lockable shell. Self-assisted hydraulic struts allow easy lid opening; when it’s closed, this trailer is streamlined for maximum fuel efficiency and savings. The tag-along trailer includes coupler, safety chain, wiring harness, trailer light kit, license plate holder, two keys and two additional side latches.

* Automotive load capacity: 600 lbs.

* Motorcycle load capacity: 200 lbs.

* Heavy-duty 4.80 x 8" tires

* 55-MPH maximum towing speed

* Extends 78” behind vehicle

* Leaf spring suspension system

* DOT certified

Edited by XV1100SE
add link to swivel hitch discussion, trailer specs

The only reason I see you would need a swivel is if you are going to be dropping your scooter :shock3: :depressed:, then the swivel would allow the scooter to fall over without putting any

stress on the tongue of the trailer. I pull a Harbor Freight trailer with a cartop carrier

attached to it (looks just like yours, except its a different color) and have no issuses

with not being able to lean the scooter as far as I need to in any curve.

C.R.

A swivel hitch is probably the safest way to go, but a regular hitch works just fine. I had a set-up pretty much just like you have, and used it on my 750 SuperSport many years ago. Never had a problem with it, even when I dropped the bike once. That was with a homemade hitch setup.

Remember to put a little grease on the ball from time to time and clean the inside area of the part on the trailer and lube it at least once a year, more if you store the trailer outside and it could get dirty/leaves up inside there.

Check the tires/bearings every time you get off the bike when towing, check for excess heat on the bearings (should be just warm to the touch at most, cool, on cool days!) and the tires, warm to a little hot on hot days, only slightly warm to cool on cool days. A tire or bearing too hot to touch for several seconds means there is a problem! Stop and check it out.

Always keep about 10% of the total trailer and load weight on the ball. If trailer and load weigh 200 pounds, that means 20 on the ball at least. Will prevent excess sway.

Check with Condor. He has the swivel ball on his hitch,

Actually I picked up one of those 'tilting' balls off Ebay. I was sceptical, but after pulling the trailer to Cody and back I'm a believer. Didn't even know the trailer was there... The nice thing about the ball is any MC trailer will work with it. With the swivel coupler it's only on one trailer.

ballhitch.jpg

I have a swivel hitch on my new tent trailer but didn't on my old cargo trailer. The old trailer pulled along just fine in the twisties. What I did do for it was install a ball with a slightly longer shank as it seemed the edge of the hitch might hit against the base of a "standard" shank on an aggressive lean.

As for the swivel hitch, I don't see that it makes any difference for normal riding but could see an advantage if one did drop the scoot.

Actually I picked up one of those 'tilting' balls off Ebay. I was sceptical, but after pulling the trailer to Cody and back I'm a believer. Didn't even know the trailer was there... The nice thing about the ball is any MC trailer will work with it. With the swivel coupler it's only on one trailer.

What bothers me about either the swivel hitch or this swivel ball is, what stops either of the components from riding on their edge so to speak. Example, in the case of the swivel ball, what's keeping the ball straight up? ... seems to me that once weight is applied, it will tilt to one side or the other, causing the hitch to be at an angle to the ball .... knowutimean?

I have both. The Cargo trailer does not have a swivel and when I went on to the crash bars there was no problems, nothing bent.

Not sure what happens if it goes all the way over. Maybe the trailer is kept the bike from going over further ?

Brad

I'm just back from a 3000 km trip with my Piggybacker with no swivel ......I don't really see a need for it in my opinion. I just think its another thing to think about wearing or breaking. I would say in the case of an accident it would be of use? The new Piggybacker comes with a swivel.

I guess like anything there are pro's & con's.

Check out the Delphi forum on Motorcycle Trailer Towing.....again lots of opinions there as well.

Keith

I pulled a trailer years ago and used the standard hitch. I bought an older camper trailer earlier this year and it has the swivel hitch. I never had any problems with the standard. When I went down last Sunday on a mountain road, the bolt inside the swivel unit broke off, leaving just the chains securing the trailer. As it turned out, it did not affect the accident at all, but it did give me cause to wonder.

I will be replacing the busted swivel hitch with a standard one.

I have a fried that had his bike fall with the trailer attached and it twisted the tong of the trailer and broke the hitch on the bike. He now uses a swivel.

I have a swivel on mine for the same reasons and if I should have the trailer try to flip while going down the road, It can go over and leave me upright.

There are pros and cons to this just like anything. You have to decide what your priorities are.

I did find a source for a swivel that is made to fit the oddball size of the Harbor Freight tongue.

You do have to let me know how your helies and other equipment fair after a ride in the trailer. :big-grin-emoticon:

When I went down last Sunday on a mountain road, the bolt inside the swivel unit broke off, leaving just the chains securing the trailer. As it turned out, it did not affect the accident at all, but it did give me cause to wonder.

I will be replacing the busted swivel hitch with a standard one.

The other question is, did that bolt breaking save the bike and or trailer from further damage? My guess is that when the bike went down the trailer and bike tried to move vertically till the ball bound in the coupler and that is what snapped the bolt rather than bend the tongue or hitch. Something has to give in that situation.

Edited by Flyinfool

I have 2 trailers, 1 with, 1 without a swivel. I can't tell the difference while pulling them. NOW, if you go down, the trailer with a swivel will stay with the bike, is that good ? I don't know, if you hit a curb or deep pot hole or large road debris it could flip over on you.

I have 2 trailers, 1 with, 1 without a swivel. I can't tell the difference while pulling them. NOW, if you go down, the trailer with a swivel will stay with the bike, is that good ? I don't know, if you hit a curb or deep pot hole or large road debris it could flip over on you.

I put one of those tilting balls on mine. It pulls great, and it won't go all the way over like a swivel hitch.... which might be a good thing.... I cut a corner a little too much coming out of a reststop last month and hit the curb. She bounced pretty high but settled right back down... Might have flipped if it had been a hitch...