IGNORED

Learning to ride with a passenger

Flyinfool

Erika is considering trying out the role of passenger with me.

We will wear proper gear.

I do understand the adjustments to the suspension of the bike for the extra weight.

I have not had a passenger on the back of a bike in about 25 years, and she has never been a successful passenger. Back in her high school days her boy friend took her for her first ride and was showing off and they crashed, it was a bad crash with extended hospital time. So she is understandably concerned.

Neither of us are small people and it will be a load for the bike.

I am wondering about the best way for us to safely learn to ride together.

My thoughts were to find someone that is an experienced passenger to ride with me a few times to let me get used to the extra weight, and higher center of gravity. Someone that already knows the dos and don't of being a passenger. I am sure the handling will come back to me quickly.

and/or

Have her ride with a friend that has done a huge amount of 2 up riding.

Or just load her up and head for some deserted roads and/or my favorite practice parking lot.

Any other suggestions?

My thoughts were to find someone that is an experienced passenger to ride with me a few times to let me get used to the extra weight, and higher center of gravity. Someone that already knows the dos and don't of being a passenger. I am sure the handling will come back to me quickly.

YES, do this!... a good idea.

AND

YES, do this!... a good idea.

Or just load her up and head for some deserted roads and/or my favorite practice parking lot.

NO, don't do this until after doing the two things above!

Any other suggestions?

As per inserts above.

All your thought are good ones,but in the end I would still take her to an empty parking lot and go through a cource. (figure 8's, Start, Stop, avodance, etc) Tell here to staywith the backrest and not to try and counter lean (or shift during turns) but you probably know all that.

Make sure that when she is on the bike not to start until she has told you she is ready. She needs to know not to make any sudden movements while riding. When turning right she should look over your right shoulder and turning left over your left shoulder. This will help keep your balanced. Practice practice practice.

Might be able to talk Karen into rinding with you for a bit??:confused24:

You'll definately want to stiffen up the back suspension.:thumbsup2:

The biggest concern I have is Erika getting on and off the bike in the first place.;)

Once on, she just needs to become one with the bike. :D

And you have to deal with a bike with more weight on it...:scratchchin:

hopefully not a moving around right about the time you stop the bike kind of weight.:doh:

You could start with a few sacks of potatoes or something strapped on the back seat to get used to the weight.:scratchchin:

Good Luck, Scooter Bob

Edited by Scooter Bob

When I had my V Star 1100, it wasn't much of a concern. I wouldn't allow my wife on the back of my RSV until I had 2 years experience with it. We did the parking lot thing at first. It was just fine. I'm sure I could have handled the bike with the extra weight of a passenger before 2 years, but, I was trying to make sure I wouldn't hurt her, thus, the 2 years of getting the feel of the extra 200+ pounds of the RSV versus the V Star. Just make sure you are completely vertical when coming to a stop. I'm sure you already know that with the weight of these bikes WITHOUT a passenger. Have fun. :)

I think your idea of having someone that is experinced with 2up is a great idea. With the suspension just add pressure till it fills right to you (within specs). I ride two up 90 percent of the time and I will tell you it adds another element If your wife would like to talk to mine about it give me a shout.

As per inserts above.

Soooooo.........

Your saying it would be a good idea to suggest a one day wife swap with one of my riding buddies and make the ice cream stand loop........:Avatars_Gee_George:

Purely in the interest of safety of course........:duck:

OK....Maybe I'll have to word it differently than that.:missingtooth:

Soooooo.........

Your saying it would be a good idea to suggest a one day wife swap with one of my riding buddies and make the ice cream stand loop........:Avatars_Gee_George:

Purely in the interest of safety of course........:duck:

OK....Maybe I'll have to word it differently than that.:missingtooth:

now sissen here lister .... that's sounding kinky to me ... :cool10: :smile5: (did I suggest that? :confused24: :whistling:)

I hate to sound like the macho go get em balls out type. but I thnk if you have exp rising and you know that there are limits and differences then you should be fine.

1200 miles on this bike and I just took my wife out % eeks ago.I would rent abike in another cpountry and ride 2 up as well. The line of communication is the key. She doesnt hop on or off until getting my ok. I dont crak the first throttle till I get her ok.

Under 20mph she knows not to shift and in turns she keeps her hands on my side to become an extension of me.

KNOW THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO MORE FORGIVING WITH THE CLUTCH AND EXAGERATE THE POINT WHERE YOU BEGIN TO HIT YOUR BRAKE.. ( START WAY EARLY).

go OUT PUT SOME SLOW MILES AND BEGIN TO DO MORE AS YOU GET COMFORTABLE.

The parking lot idea would be OK after a little open road, get used to it riding.

These things handle like a beached whale in a parking lot type enviroment, any little miscue would be harder to deal with.

But on the other side of the coin, if something where to happen, the results would be less severe.

Gary

Also. Try to go out on a cool sat or sun morning for a quick ride for breakfats. This was you avoid heavy traffic and any need to speed. You also break up the training witha positive meal discussing whats comfortable and whats not. things that should be adjusted.

Share the learning exp together. She has to get used to you and you to her.

I hate to sound like the macho go get em balls out type. but I thnk if you have exp rising and you know that there are limits and differences then you should be fine.

1200 miles on this bike and I just took my wife out % eeks ago.I would rent abike in another cpountry and ride 2 up as well. The line of communication is the key. She doesnt hop on or off until getting my ok. I dont crak the first throttle till I get her ok.

Under 20mph she knows not to shift and in turns she keeps her hands on my side to become an extension of me.

KNOW THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO MORE FORGIVING WITH THE CLUTCH AND EXAGERATE THE POINT WHERE YOU BEGIN TO HIT YOUR BRAKE.. ( START WAY EARLY).

go OUT PUT SOME SLOW MILES AND BEGIN TO DO MORE AS YOU GET COMFORTABLE.

Have a non voice signal for the passenger to indicate they want to stop. Something like tap both sides of the rider's ribs twice.

Guest tx2sturgis

The rest of us learned by giving lots of 'girly' rides at the local biker bar/hangout/tavern/club....wont this work for you?

:whistling:

Hey I think its a bad idea to let your wife 'learn' passengering skills on another mans scoot.

Too many things to go wrong there.

And...drum roll please:

I dont know how large you two are, but if we are talking about a load that will be close to or above the bikes capacity, say around 400 pounds total, then I would rethink this plan.

I am not a fan of loading up a 2 wheel touring bike with 400 pounds or more of human cargo, then 20-50 lbs of gear, and heading for the hills. Just too dangerous. Many on this site will disagree with me. So be it.

Many well-intentioned riders have injured themselves and their passengers when trying to haul someone larger than the bike is meant to carry.

Now if you want to enjoy riding together as a large couple, then a trike is the way to go. They are more stable and nearly always have more carrying capacity.

Or, get her interested in a motorcycle of her own. A rider course and a decent starter bike are not that expensive...and a lot less expensive than an accident!

Just my :2cents:

Last year was my wife first exparence riding 2 up.we are both large people.450 lbs plus.The riding wasn't the problem,it's the stopping that will get you.These bikes are a bear to hold up with all that combined weight. I guess what i'm trying to say is,pay close attention to what you are doing when coming to a stop. Use the friction zone combined with a little rear brake.It really works.Don't ask me how I learned all this about stopping. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Thie biggest thing I found was to ensure my wife learned to SIT STILL at low speeds or when stopped...and not to get on or off until I was braced and ready for her.

She learned the hard way....she went to climb on once when I wasn't ready and we very nearly ended up on our side!

Same thing...we were at a stop light and she decided she wanted to get something out of her purse that was over her shoulder. Instead of centering her purse, she "reached around" to get it and almost put us over.

Have a non voice signal for the passenger to indicate they want to stop. Something like tap both sides of the rider's ribs twice.

My wife twists my nipples to show dissaproval. Usually when I swerve. She cant see the reasn why I swerve and therefore gets frightened. Understandable. But if I have a bumpy road Planned. I will need cold crea for my sore nipples

My wife twists my nipples to show dissaproval. Usually when I swerve. She cant see the reasn why I swerve and therefore gets frightened. Understandable. But if I have a bumpy road Planned. I will need cold crea for my sore nipples

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hubby decided last week to put me on his bike, some would disagree to the idea since he's only had the bike 3 mons. However the car needs a new steering gearbox so just in case we needed reliable transportation we went to the middle school parking lot to work it out. Now some of you know I have ridden with other ppl before. The 1st time I got on a bike was when a friend had to rescue me from being stranded and w/o thinking he hopped on his bike to get me. He decided I needed to learn how to ride a bike after that because I was hooked. Fast forward 6 years and now I'm riding with Hubby, I wasn't worried about my ability as a passenger, I was worried about him managing my weight. He's done great in the past week with having me on the bike. We've ridden on wet roads, in rain, and it's like nothing will stop us now save a wreck. I do think Jeff's wife would do well to have a couple of rides with someone experienced with 2up riding. It made hubby's transition to having a passenger easier on him.

Practice good friction zone rear brake parking lot maneuvers (Ride like a pro video) solo till you are comfortable going real slow and turning. Make sure to be straight up stopped with dry sand free footing and dont turn the bars too far when stopped unless you have good dry footing and know the consequences -don't ask me how I know.

Then ride with passenger very gently and in a stress free setting where you can both feel comfortable and relaxed.

My wife wasn't a big fan of riding (but would begrudgingly at times) till I started riding Ventures, she is very comfortable now. Combined we are 450 lbs and I haven't had an issue with either Venture.

and/or

Wife swapping!

I would offer to help here, but, I don't have a wife

:Laugh: