IGNORED

how many miles with no valve adjustment??

just curious how many miles some of you have gone with no valve adjust... my 2005 with 35,000 miles is running better than ever and really hate to tear into it if i don't need to. i had an 2006 suzuki c50T and had valves adjusted twice and never really ran the same but cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I'm a believer in don't fix it if it aint broke.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I explained this issue in great detail in a much older thread. Bottom line is that the recommended interval is the point at which Yamahaha expects to catch the majority of engines that are changing clearances BEFORE damage occurs. This means that most will still be quite safe at that point. But just because someone else says theirs was fine at x,000 miles does NOT in any way suggest that your engine will also be fine.

Pushing the mileage limit for valve checks is not particularly intelligent, especially if you ride hard. My advice is to quit trying to guess at how long you can risk your engine and just take care of it.

This bike has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty - Yamahaha is concerned that if you push the miles between valve checks more than 27,000 miles, they will have to pay more for warranty work. Take the hint.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

I explained this issue in great detail in a much older thread. Bottom line is that the recommended interval is the point at which Yamahaha expects to catch the majority of engines that are changing clearances BEFORE damage occurs. This means that most will still be quite safe at that point. But just because someone else says theirs was fine at x,000 miles does NOT in any way suggest that your engine will also be fine.

Pushing the mileage limit for valve checks is not particularly intelligent, especially if you ride hard. My advice is to quit trying to guess at how long you can risk your engine and just take care of it.

This bike has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty - Yamahaha is concerned that if you push the miles between valve checks more than 27,000 miles, they will have to pay more for warranty work. Take the hint.

Goose

Question....after the dealer did mine, it felt tighter if that makes sense and I never noticed the engine heat till afterwards. Could be me or is there any merit to how I feel it's running. The power is still there, it just doesn't feel as freed up as it had prior. Fwiw the mechanic stated one or two were out of spec.

Question....after the dealer did mine, it felt tighter if that makes sense and I never noticed the engine heat till afterwards. Could be me or is there any merit to how I feel it's running. The power is still there, it just doesn't feel as freed up as it had prior. Fwiw the mechanic stated one or two were out of spec.

I can think of no possibility that any change in the valve clearances (short of valves being held open at TDC) could ever be felt by the rider. And in the odd chance that your valves were not fully closing, the adjustment would simply have improved the performance of the engine.

So whatever you think you sense after the adjustment, consider it simply an effect of your imagination.

Goose

I think i'll push it to 50,000 and then check. we ride pretty easy and do reg maint. plugs oil filters ect...... probably have a different scoot by then who knows. and has anyone had the yamaha joint in seymour,in. do there work?? i think it might be pauls yamaha... "dans yamaha" sounds more like it

Edited by kyle

I got my bike just at the time it needed the adjustment. I guess the 2nd owner realized that it needed to get done at got scared at the dealers price and sold the bike at a great deal.

With the help Of PONCH and his tool and shim kit I preformed it at 27k miles. The intakes were on the tight side but not passed spec

How much are dealers charging for this? Must be astronomical the get this volume of comment. Anybody got a ballpark #?

My dealer told me it was in the $600-$800 range. I forget what they said the book time was, but it's a lot of labor. It's not difficult, but it is very time consuming.

Guest tx2sturgis
How much are dealers charging for this? Must be astronomical the get this volume of comment. Anybody got a ballpark #?

The local dealer here said around $400.

$800 or $400, it don't matter...I can't afford it. Too bad we don't have enough 2nd Gen members close enough for us to have a valve adjust day.

The valve adjustment is the same on 1st and 2nd gens (and Vmax).

The hw you have to move out of the way may vary.

I did Riderdukes sunday and only 2 shims needed replacing.

as for the cost I am getting $400 but I do color tune and which means it gets plugs and a carbtune I have the customers bring the gaskets and plugs I found that most dont need new shims but they do need to be checked.

Jeff

$800 or $400, it don't matter...I can't afford it. Too bad we don't have enough 2nd Gen members close enough for us to have a valve adjust day.

Good idea, I like that. Would love to see this done. I only have 13,000 right now though, so I will probably wait a few more I guess. What does the book recommend ? Is it 25,000 I think ?

Fuzzy

i bought my old '99 rsv in aug. '05 ( 6 y.o. at that time )

bought it used ( and no history of any previous mx being done to the bike) with just over 21,000 miles on the clock. on july'09 with the help of goose, ponch and buddy rich over at tom's in blanco, tex. we had a carb float check and valve adjustment check all in the same day. at that time i had 68,250 miles on the clock. that was 47,250 miles of trouble free riding. i don't remember the valves needing to change but a couple of shims to say they were in specs.

now i have a 11 y.o. rsv trike bike that i bought with just over 18,000 miles. again no mx history. i'll just wait till there's another valve check day somewhere or go anouther 40,0000-50,000 miles but this is just me this is just my 2-cents and my experiance.

reguards

don c.

I need a valve check day here.......Im just sorry that I replaced the rear valve cover last fall without checking any clearances.

For those considering waiting to do a valve adjustment, allow me to relate my own experience with this motor.

I owned a 97 RSTD, bought new, put a total of 75k miles on it before I sold it. I did the first valve adjustment on it right at 26k miles. Most of the valves were tight against the lower limits of adjustment range, .004 for intakes, .006 for exhausts. However, one intake was so tight I couldn't even get my .0015 feeler into the gap.

With that memory, I decided when I bought my 07 Venture that I wouldn't wait until 26k to do the first valve adjustment. I reached 21k last week, and tore the top-end open at that time, and found essentially the same situation as with the Late, Great, RSTD. Most valves were snug against the minimum clearance, and one intake was at .003.

On the old RSTD, when I opened the motor for its second valve adjustment at 52k miles, I found so little change in clearance that I didn't have to replace any shims. I sold the bike about 20k later, and so never did a third adjustment on it.

Based on this experience with two different motors, I would say that the first adjustment MUST be done, on time. I would also suggest that it is probably a good idea to do it before 26k.

Myself, I put the valves in the middle of range, .005 for intakes, and .007 for exhausts. Once the motor is broken in, I doubt things move very much. If I set it in the middle of the range, then it has plenty of room to tighten up in case I decide to wait 30k or longer for the next adjustment. A valve adjustment on this bike is no small task. It is a huge amount of work. I can't imagine a professional mechanic doing it for less than $800-$1000. A price of $400 tells me that all they're doing is listening to the motor run and declaring it AOK, which, as Goose knows, is a waste of everyone's time and money.

Guest tx2sturgis
...... A valve adjustment on this bike is no small task. It is a huge amount of work. I can't imagine a professional mechanic doing it for less than $800-$1000. A price of $400 tells me that all they're doing is listening to the motor run and declaring it AOK, which, as Goose knows, is a waste of everyone's time and money.

Excellent article.

In my case, I had other work done at the same time and possibly they cut me a break on the labor. Plus, the engine is now much quieter on startup than before...no more clicking sounds. And even though it may only be 'in my head'...it does seem to have a bit more pep now.

Even if they did NOTHING....the receipt says they did...so if there should be a problem during the next year in that area, the bike's factory warranty would be in force, since I have the proof I had that service 'done'...

... I can't imagine a professional mechanic doing it for less than $800-$1000. A price of $400 tells me that all they're doing is listening to the motor run and declaring it AOK...

That might be a bit high. I figure it's about a 5 hour job to check them. In my shop that'd run $350, a dealer might be more like $425 - $500. If any needed adjusting there would be an extra charge for shims. If it only needed a couple I probably wouldn't boost the labor, but if it needed half or more I'd tag on some extra labor too. The valve cover gaskets would probably run another 60, on a Venture I won't warrant leakage unless the customer pops for them. On bikes that are simple to get to I'll re-use gaskets if they look good.

But you are correct - listening tells you nothing.

Ugh, guess I need to plan to check mine just acquired an 02 RSV about a month ago with 28k on it. Up to 30k now and pretty sure its not been checked.

What does everyone do for shims, sounds like it is a hassle to get down to it so would be nice to have aasortment of shims if needed and not have to let bike sit, or take everything off twice.

Bob

Marshall, il

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk