IGNORED

What should I Do !!!!

milkman

Went out to eat, afterwards sitting on curb talking to wife noticed screw in back tire. Not leaking air so went strait home , easy like. Pulled out 2" screw it went in at angle middle of tire. Tire is a Avon Vemnon with 865 miles on it. Do you'all thing i could plug & patch. Just to get some wear out of it before replacing it? (good meal didn't settle to well go figuer)

Larry

Was it leaking after you pulled it out? If not, don't worry about it.

If it was leaking, I would plug it if it was me, at least for a while. I would definitely use a pull-through plug/patch.

Well, in my opinion, it's pretty much centered on the tire. If you go for a patch that's the best place to be. The closer it is to the sideway the more concerned I am about it failing. Myself...........I'd go for one of the mushroom headed plugs. They are the best chance for a realiable seal and very durable. It isn't going to work loose and throw it.

I hate running on a tire that has been repaired because there is always that thought in your mind.....is it going to hold?

The best bet would be replacement but as the tire is so new I get where you are coming from. That sucks. I have used the mushroom plugs several times over the years in both car and bike tires with no problems.

Just my :2cents:

Mike

if your asking the question??? then you already know the answer.

been in this debate before. only have 2 tires. they should both be 100% safe

pitch it and lose that question that could ruin a great ride.

mike.

I would do the pull through plug/patch as mentioned and wear the tire out. :)

+1 That's what I'd do. And I've done it three times without any problems. Although, I do check the plug on a regular basis and the air pressure each and every time I ride plugged tire or not.

I have an E3 off my Honda sitting in the garage with less than 500 miles on it. I had it repaired with a plug patch, got home and told my wife about it, her response was.... replace the tire, we can't replace us! Couldn't argue with that. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you all for the replies so quickly!! I've decided to 'plug n patch'. For the miles I'll put on this summer, tire will be about half worn & will replace in the fall ... IF IT QUITS RAINING!!!

See you at Freebirds MD.

Thanks again ... Larry

I went with a plug/patch and a tube in my Dunlop after consulting the tire dealer and him calling his Dunlop representative to get their thoughts. He wouldn't re-install the tire without the tube. He didn't want to be liable for the repair even though Dunlop said it was OK. He's a motorcycle only tire dealer and been in the business along time, so I went with his advice.

On my own I may have installed just the patch/plug and let her ride!

Here's a quote from Dunlop's "Tire Tips Guide"

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/pdf/11D_FL_SAFETY.pdf

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum

1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted

tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform

an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper

repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after

repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise

your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three

(3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected. See the

Dunlop Service Advisory for additional motorcycle tubeless-tire repair

information. Follow the same repair procedures for tires on rims requiring

tube replacement. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any

instructions to the repaired-tire user.

Advise your customers that no form of temporary repair should be

attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object

may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form

of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask

secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Advise your customers

that reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and

accident.

Milkman, I had the same issue with my new venom rear tire. At 1000 miles it picked up a nail and had a slow leak. This was back in 2003 when I first got my 99. I called Ride-On and spoke to one of the owners there. He made a recommendation and I tried it. He shipped me a bottle of Ride-On after telling me to leave the nail in. Once I received it I followed his instructions to take all the air out, add the Ride-On sealer, refill the tire, ride it for 5 miles to distribute the sealer, remove the nail and ride it for another 5 miles. I tried it and it leaked air after the nail removal for about 1 block before the sealer kicked in and at 13k I finally had to replace the tire. Never once leaked during that time. If the hole is larger then 1/8" then it probably wont work. I had a 12 penny nail sticking in mine.

Just another option for ya....

Pull it and vulcanize a patch on it. I'm not really thrilled with plugs though they do work, but leave the plugs to cages! You, only have 2 wheels...

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:

A plug will get you home.... then fix it properly or replace it.

With a plug I'd be checking tha air pressure every time I rode it.

With a vulcanized patch or tube I would not feel the need to...That's about as safe as you can get.

I would not throw the tire away unless the cords were damaged or you had a sidewall puncture/cut or sidewall damage due to the weight of the bike coming down on it. The side wall flexes the most and if somethings going to work loose (patch or plug) it will be there.

Don't know if you've ever had a flat on a bike but, it is definately not a good feeling on a straight away let alone a turn. Rear flats feel like someone put an uneven jelly fish around your rear tire. :eek:

This is just my opinion.

There's only one me.

There are 5 people that depend on me, my wife and 4 children. Sometimes one or another of them is riding as a passenger with me.

New tire give or take $150.

That's $30 for every person that needs me. It's a no brainer. Replace it.

Milkman, I had the same issue with my new venom rear tire. At 1000 miles it picked up a nail and had a slow leak. This was back in 2003 when I first got my 99. I called Ride-On and spoke to one of the owners there. He made a recommendation and I tried it. He shipped me a bottle of Ride-On after telling me to leave the nail in. Once I received it I followed his instructions to take all the air out, add the Ride-On sealer, refill the tire, ride it for 5 miles to distribute the sealer, remove the nail and ride it for another 5 miles. I tried it and it leaked air after the nail removal for about 1 block before the sealer kicked in and at 13k I finally had to replace the tire. Never once leaked during that time. If the hole is larger then 1/8" then it probably wont work. I had a 12 penny nail sticking in mine.

Just another option for ya....

Yep Ride-On... :sign yeah that: Ride-On also has balancing properties...

I have used Techs perma seal tire plugs for years on both trucks and cars without ever having one fail. They are an external plug through repair. The mobile supplier I use, had 250 of them in the side wall of his front tire for demo purposes by the time he wore out the tire. Not that I would recomend using these on a MC tire for other than a temporary repair. But I am just pointing out that armed with the knowledge that these plugs are that reliable, I would have no problem using the next one up which is thier pull through plug and patch. The main thing is that the repair area be absolutly clean for proper bonding.

Also putting an inner tube in a tubless tire is bad practice as this generally causes increased tire running tempratures, for which the tubless tire is not designed, risking possible casing sepparation.

Gotta ask yourself how much is your life worth! If it were me that tire would be replaced ASAP and to heck with the monetary cost.

You can always sell the tire to someone who does not mind riding with a plugged tire.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez riding with the pygmies gives me enough grief.:whistling:

Gotta ask yourself how much is your life worth! If it were me that tire would be replaced ASAP and to heck with the monetary cost.

You can always sell the tire to someone who does not mind riding with a plugged tire.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez riding with the pygmies gives me enough grief.:whistling:

Speaking of pygmies are you missing a few. as of late my bike seems to be mysteriously plagued with problems :think: