IGNORED

long rides?

Hfab5

I am planning on about a 1,000 plus mile ride to Freebird's MD on my 83 pulling a 450 lb camper with about 143,000 miles on the bike. I need to change the oil and just check it over, but I am not worried about the bike. A lot of 1st genners don't think much of anything about a several thousand mile trip.

RandyA

I've ridden the '83 (first venture) on several long distance rides. The longest being about 600 miles and 11 hours, several in the 400-500 mile range. I personally have always liked the way it sat, and it was comfortable to me. With the pegs beneath my butt and the highways out front it gave me a lot of different riding positions. The full fairing gave a lot of protection at high speed. I miss the old girl. My son's riding her now and loves it.

:cody

My last bike which was an '87 with over 100k km on it... we rode 2-up from Vancouver, BC, Canada to San Lois Obispo CA via mostly the coast hwy and back thru Fresno, Yosemite, Reno, Klamath falls, North Cascades pass.

Couple years back before I sold her, I rode it 24 hrs & 1434 km's Vancouver to biggar Sask ... picked up the wife and rode back (not a 24 hr ride that time).

Years ago when I had my '85 VR, I rode several times back and forth from Kamloops, BC to Vancouver and all over the interior of BC and into Alberta.

Current owner of my '87 has put more miles an it than I did... I bet that bike is well over 200k now.

When I sold my '85, it had over 100k miles on it and was still running strong.

Never had any issues with either bike. these bikes will go forever... kinda like the Duracell battery... LOL

I did a 2,600 mile week last year on my '84 around NE, IA, MN, SD and down to MO. Kind of a trial run around the home location in case of problems. Over the last winter I made more improvements to the bike and the fear of having major problems on the road is pretty much in the past. Not worried about taking off and going where ever I feel anymore. I know she will get me home.

no problem as long as the bike is in good shape. I took my 91 vr to MD last year and that was a 3500 round trip with all the detours on the way there and back. My wife also rode her 97 1100 vtx wright along beside me the whole way. I also pulled my trailer full the whole way.

David

Thanks guys... I was invited on a 300 mile(give or take)ride in a couple of weeks. My '84 seems to be running fine. Ive put some good "local" miles on it, but always have that worry feeling. My bike will be the oldest by a mile! Guess I just needed some inspiration.:)

I have done many over 1000 miles on several of the 1st gens I owned. Last year we rode my '89 up to MD in Oberlin Ohio from Houston Texas. That trip was over 3200 miles, no worries and get the VR assistance list and put it on your bike. There are many brothers and sisters here that will help you out all over the USA and Canada should you have an issue.

300 miles is less than what I will put on this Monday for a local riding group ride, these bikes were made for distance riding. As long as you do regular maintenance you should be fine. Theres no reason to worry, as new bikes have issues as well.

If you need some reassurance, maybe get AAA coverage so you can get a tow without breaking the wallet, its nice to know that you wont have to scramble to get someone to look after you when you have the AAA coverage.

Brian

300 miles is less than what I will put on this Monday for a local riding group ride

The difference is, in your case, is out there on the flat prairie, one has to travel 300 miles just to find civilization, not to mention a bend in the road! :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :rotf:

The difference is, in your case, is out there on the flat prairie, one has to travel 300 miles just to find civilization, not to mention a bend in the road! :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :rotf:

That may be, but at least we dont have the mountains obstructing the view......:rotfl:

Brian

If you need some reassurance, maybe get AAA coverage so you can get a tow without breaking the wallet, its nice to know that you wont have to scramble to get someone to look after you when you have the AAA coverage.

Brian

Get an AMA membership. It includes towing coverage and you helping support the sport of motorcycling.

RR

Thanks guys... I was invited on a 300 mile(give or take)ride in a couple of weeks. My '84 seems to be running fine. Ive put some good "local" miles on it, but always have that worry feeling. My bike will be the oldest by a mile! Guess I just needed some inspiration.:)

That is a warm up run for these.......... I have done, Alberta to Ontario & back for the 2008 international rally on the 83, then 2 weeks later went to Minnisota for a pig roast.

The following year was a bit shorter, Nelson BC for a meet, 2 months later back to Minnisota for PIP & then to Cody Wyoming for the Venture Roundup, before heading back to work.

Last year was only Nelson BC & Minnisota. But this years planned trip, makes the 2008 trip a medium stroll. Vancouver Island to Ontario, down to South Corolina & back over to Cody Wyoming, before heading back home. With various other stops in between, of course, this trip I will be riding the new to me 86 & my neighbour will be on my 83.

Heading to Tennessee in 2 weeks with some friends. My 84 has 68,000 miles on it. Will put another 5-6000on this trip. The most I've done in one trip is about 2400 miles. I'm trusting that the old girl still has it in her.:fingers-crossed-emo

Where and when will be coming thru TN? I am in the north east corner. I think I sent you a rearend many years ago.

RandA

Last June 92' venture royal from Cottage Grove OR to MOAB Utah and back. 2350 mi. 8 days rnd. trip. Bought a new tire in SLC and learned about the " cold weather leak " since. All good and, I could walk and move when we stopped. LUV da' bike.

I typically do not read much. But I could not stop until I got to the end. Interesting story from a few years back....

Pashnit is the 'other' board I frequent since it's sorta local, and Tim, the boards maker, has done several trips like that. One of his trips to Alaska and back was the one that got me interested in Ventures in the first place. A 1stGen was his bike on that trip. Since then, he's switched to the Suzuki Hyabusa's. Very talented writer and his stories are always enjoyable.

Long distance on a well maintained 1st gen is very easy. I live near Hamilton Ontario and have been to Arkansas for the International (5,000 Kms round trip) as well as Indiana last year which was not as far. Just for fun the Navigator and I do day trips of 700 to 800 Kms frequently. I would not hesitate to jump on Blondie and go pretty much anywhere. Just go... and have fun..