IGNORED

Key hard to turn

Need advice before I do anything.

I ride a 2006 RSV with 12k miles. 3rd owner.

Getting ready to leave work today and I jumped on the bike to take off. Put the key and it won't turn. I had tge bike locked. Had to move it back and forth and pulled the key in and out and it finally turned.

I did wash the bike last night but no hard water spray.

Thoughts? Replace, WD40,

Did you have the forks locked? If so, you sometimes have to move the handlebars to take pressure off of the locking mechanism before the key can be moved from the "locked" position to the "off" position.

I was having the same problem with my bike and electrical contact cleaner and WD-40 didn't help on mine. I bought some dry graphite powder at Advance and used it. Took care of the problem. I'll probably have to do it again in a few months, but no biggie to do it.

+1 on lubeing all moving points and use a lock and key lubrication on the ignition.

Perhaps next time you wash your bike,cover with plastic to prevent water from entering.

Yeah but, if you cover your bike with plastic. How are you gonna get it clean?........:doh:

During one of the service talks given by the Yamaha factory reps at Bikeweek a few years ago, they said one of the main causes of fouled ingition switch key slots was the clear plastic covering the factory puts on the bezel around the ignition switch. They put it on to protect it during during assembly and predelivery. The dealer is supposed to remove it when the bike is prepped for delivery to a customer, but most do not. That plastic covering will sometimes work lose or small bits will come off and get jammed in the key slot, you can imagine what happens after that.

So maybe that is something else to check also.

I used WD-40 when I first had that happen, but then it happened again. So I put a thin coating of some Motorkote I had in the garage on the key and slid it in and out several times, also turning the ignition on and off several times, and that cured my similar problem. That stuff is a hyper-lubricant and adheres to metal surfaces for a very long time without breaking down. WD-40 is good for immediate results, but I guess will wear down faster.

Glad you got it fixed!

I have been doing lock work for over 15 years and would never! I say NEVER recommend graphite in any lock. We use a lubricant called Houdini, but the cleaner/lubricant sounds good too. The graphite could mess the electrical switch where it won't make contact and if you use contact cleaner with graphite it aint pretty. This is just from my experience...Ken

I had this problem too, used spray lube and it worked like a charm. But .... I'm pretty sure I compounded the problem .... I must drive the bike forward about 15 feet onto the sloped driveway before washing, and I was leaving the key in the ignition. I think this made it worse (water getting into the ignition?). I don't do that anymore.