IGNORED

clutch and brake levers for gorilla hands?

Can someone tell me why yamaha made clutch and brake levers to fit a gorilla hand? The reach on these levers is rediculously far with no adjustment! And my hands are not small, I'm 6'-0", 190#. Does anyone else agree? Does anyone have a solution?

... Does anyone else agree? Does anyone have a solution?

:confused24:

I've never really had a problem with it and I don't think my hands are all that big. For what it is worth I am only 5'7; 'medium' gloves are a tad tight on me but 'Larges' are a tad loose (to give an idea of hand size).

I don't know if there are after-market levers available, I do believe I have seen that discussion on here once or twice in the last couple of years. Perhaps someone replaced you levers with non-OEM or they machined their own.

I too think it is silly that there isn't an adjustment though. Most other bikes I have ridden have had some sort of adjustment, even ones with the hydraulics.

Hopefully someone else can jump in that has done a mod and help you!

I wear a large size glove, and I consider the reach just a bit too far. They are oem levers.

Thinking about it, where you keep your hand(s) on the grips really makes a big difference too. I'll have to go try and see where mine end up...

Can someone tell me why yamaha made clutch and brake levers to fit a gorilla hand? The reach on these levers is rediculously far with no adjustment! And my hands are not small, I'm 6'-0", 190#. Does anyone else agree? Does anyone have a solution?

No problem for me... But then again I used to be able to palm a basketball.... It's kinda nice to have something that fits the big guy in the world of Mr. Average.... :whistling:

No problem for me... But then again I used to be able to palm a basketball.... It's kinda nice to have something that fits the big guy in the world of Mr. Average.... :whistling:

LOL.. braggard... I have large hands, still can't find proper gloves..

My buddy had the same complaint about the levers as the OP did.. and all it took was rotating the levers up on the bar a little more to make them easier to access.. doesn't bring them closer to your hand.. but makes it easier to reach..

This surprises me because of anyone I know, I probably have the smallest hands ... heck, even my wife's hands are bigger LOL ..... yet this is something that has never even occurred to me ... meaning, I've never felt that the levers were too far away or for that matter, difficult to pull...on any bike I've ridden. Very interesting!

Did you try rotating the levers up more so your fingers don't have to reach down and around as much? Might not sound like a viable fix but if your hands don't have to reach down and over, it might help you get more grip on them..

I can't believe Yamaha sets the clutch lever free play at 1" or greater before it engages the clutch. Does anyone have away to adjust this over amount of free play? I've owned Goldwings and HD Ultra., they all had away of adjusting the amount of clutch lever travel.:bluesbrother:

This surprises me because of anyone I know, I probably have the smallest hands ... heck, even my wife's hands are bigger LOL ..... yet this is something that has never even occurred to me ... meaning, I've never felt that the levers were too far away or for that matter, difficult to pull...on any bike I've ridden. Very interesting!

DITTO^^^^^^

I replaced the stock levers for the ones sold at JCW. I think they do come back a bit futher then the stock ones do. Due mostly to the flatness of them and possibly the curve of them. I'll check measurements tomorrow. I do wear a large size glove so haven't really had a problem like some of you folks.

I also agree that these bikes should have adjustable levers on both sides. Like many others here I had a Suzuki Volusia with the adjustable levers, neat feature.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
Kuryakyn makes levers for the Venture...or at least they do through this company...CHROME TOO.

http://www.ironbraid.com/leversimp.php

I am going to order some of these (LOVE THE BRAIDING with the BOLO braids)... maybe in the next week or so....

How hard is it to REPLACE the levers/

Not hard at all.. just watch for little springs near the switches.. Just did my VSTar levers, similar set up. Clean up old grease, add new.