IGNORED

Is the RSV good to cruise at 140 KPH or 150 KPH all day long?

Hi, I own a 2004 RSV and was wondering if the RSV is good to cruise at say 140KPH or 150 KPH all day long kind of thing.

It's a purely subjective question but when I had my 1800 Wing it could cruise all day long at 150 160 KPH no problem.

All comments are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Chris in Red Deer, AB

I'm too lazy to convert those numbers to MPH, but the answer is an unequivocal "yes".

This engine is rock solid (except for Dave's), and it cruises at quite reasonable RPMs - it will happily do anything you can do, for longer than you can do it.

On several occasions I have spent over 15 hours straight, the majority of that between 85 and 95 MPH.

Goose

Thanks folks. I appreciate all the comments. I didn't say I cruise at that speed I was just curious if the bike would cruise at that speed for extended periods of time.

I kinda figured it would. The reason I asked is that I do know folks who get on the highway and that is their regular cruising altitude. Don't know why, but there it is.

Chris

I generally cruise between 130 & 150 when I'm riding the freeway and I've done this for much of the distance between Vancouver and Hope (appx 150 km).

When I had my '87 (basically the same engine) and I rode out to Sask, I set the cruise on 145 and let 'er go across the prairiies.

Sure, an 1800 Wing can do it a bit effortlessly but these engines on the Venture can certainly handle high=speed cruising for extended periods of time. Like was said earlier, your gas mileage drops dramatically tho.

Ive had my cruise working at speeds above 85 mph. Sask is probably one of the best places in the world to test out your cruise control,....for hours and hours.....lol, at least if you stay on the trans canada highways,.... not a turn for 50 miles at a time...

Brian

Edited by friesman

The 2nd Gen cruise control will not go beyond 80mph as stated in the owner's manual. A true ground speed of 80mph will produce an indicated speed of 85-87 on the 2nd Gen. This causes me to speculate that the speedometer error is intentional.

The speed limit on the interstates in most western states is 75mph, so setting the cruise control at max is pretty safe as far as speeding tickets go. The 2nd Gen will easily cruise at 100mph, but the fuel mileage will drop into the low to mid 20's-mpg. My worst mileage was on a short sprint from Rawlins to Rock Springs, WY with a strong head wind, 2up, and heavily loaded. Had to use 4th gear to push the wind and run 95mph, (GPS). We got 21mpg. We usually average 30-32mpg on the interstate at 80mph, (GPS).

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions.

That is pretty much what I was expecting to hear.

I don't normally run anywhere near that speed but it is nice to know it will do it and that it is available when needed. I had a 2001 RSV and really loved the bike. I have since then owned two Honda Gold Wings; a 1500 and an 1800.

I sold my 1800 to come back to the RSV because for me, and just my humble opinion, the RSV just fit me better and felt so much more comfortable. The wing always got blown around in the wind but the RSV never that I can recall got pushed around. As a matter of fact my very first long run on the 01 RSV was with a salty old biker who had a 99 RSV and we were out in the windy nowhere of Central Alberta running east and he said over the CB, "By the way do you notice the wind at all?" I said, "What wind?" And his response was typical Kipling of course from Kipling's story of how the Elephant got his nose which I highly recommend you goggle and read, as such he said, "Oh rash and inexperienced traveler, Vantage number one young fellar." You done don't get pushed around in the wind on these here 2nd gen RSV's like you did on the 1st generation configurations.

So for me I really love my RSV. Other than getting the bike home just in front of our first Calgary/central Alberta snow storm in November, I can't wait for riding season 2011 to begin. I have been busy putting things on and getting her tuned up for 2011. All I need to to do now is synch the carbs with my trusty Carb Synch II that I used previously.

I have since put on a set of new Avon Venom X's, a new Tulsa tall, a high output stator and a set of Yamaha driving lights, new rear brakes, synthetic oil and new filter and a new fuel filter. The air filters were mint clean so kudoos to who ever owned the bike before the guy I bought it from.

I do recall back when I had my 01 some guy in a truck trying to pass me on a passing lane going up a hill out in the middle of *uck duck no where Alberta and just for funning, I slapped spurs to the old girl and walked away from the guy in the truck like a scalded cat. I finally backed off the throttle at about 165kph if I remember correctly and let him pass me. He waved and gave me a thumbs up as he went by. Or was it the bird?? I don't remember. Oha Waelll!

I also recall very clearly swapping bikes with a buddy who had an 01 1800 wing (Which I eventually bought from him) and we put the peddle to the metal and he was totally *ucking shocked that the RSV has the power it had. It really surprised him. His words more or less were something to the effect, *&holy *ucking #hit, this thing hauls @ss.

So thank you for the confirmation for me while the snow is still thick and deep on the ground and roads and the 2011 riding season has yet to start for us poor unfortunates who live where we really get winter.

Chris in Red Deer, AB

The wing always got blown around in the wind but the RSV never that I can recall got pushed around.

Chris in Red Deer, AB

Chris ... were you at Kruisin Kootenays last year??

Your comment above is one I always find interesting although it doesn't really come up very often. The reason I find it interesting is because I can't concur with it and it makes me wonder why folks make this statement. We were out this past Saturday for a short ride and it was the first ride on the scoot since last October. As it turned out, there was a bit of a wind blowing ... not much ... and I could immediately feel it. I was, at times, having a hard time staying in my "track" ... that being either the right or left of centre of the lane. I've noticed this since the beginning when I got the bike.

IMHO, the effect of wind or air turbulence on the RSV is far more than any "frame mount" fairing bike I've ever ridden, including an 1800 Wing which I ran at over 200 km/h on the freeway last year. This also includes my previous 4 bikes which were an '87 & '85 Venture, an '83 Wing, and a 74 Honda-4 ... all with frame mounted fairings.

Hi SilvrT, regarding your comment about being blown abouts by the winds on your bike.. I also have a 2006 RSV (Midnight) and I used to get that a lot until I got the neck bearings sorted out.. they were so loose that any push on the fairing was exaggerated in the handling of the bike.. As were the shoddy D404 tires on the bike.. Once I got the neck and suspension sorted out on this used bike, it tracks solid on the highway at just about any speed..

We get a lot of wind on the East coast, so those fixes and adjustments made a huge difference from when I first got the bike..

I have been able to ride for hours at a time at 75 -80 mph on the interstate between San Antonio and Dallas and that's with a sidecar (w/passenger), with some flux in speed on hills. It's harder on the cruise control, some times on steep hills the cruise control will cut out.

But, HEY it still works for me.:thumbsup2:

Rick A.

Hi SilvrT, regarding your comment about being blown abouts by the winds on your bike.. I also have a 2006 RSV (Midnight) and I used to get that a lot until I got the neck bearings sorted out.. they were so loose that any push on the fairing was exaggerated in the handling of the bike.. As were the shoddy D404 tires on the bike.. Once I got the neck and suspension sorted out on this used bike, it tracks solid on the highway at just about any speed..

We get a lot of wind on the East coast, so those fixes and adjustments made a huge difference from when I first got the bike..

Good info but... I got this bike essentially new (1300 kilometers) just over 2 years ago and in now has just over 31,000 kilometers.

I've haven't checked the bearings for torque but have changed the tires. Although I suppose it's possible but I find it hard to believe the head bearings could be out of whack that bad with such few km's on the bike. Heck, I rode my '85 and '87 for twice that many km's and both had well over 130,000 on them and head bearings was never an issue, nor was the effect of the wind as noticeable.

The other part of my "arguement" is that anything bolted directly to the forks such as a fork mounted fairing which, in this case, catches ALL the wind is bound to have a direct effect on the steering ... it only makes logical sense. A frame mounted fairing disperses that effect through the frame and not so much on the steering.

Getting back to the bearings, there is no looseness and I have done the "test" by checking the "bounce-back" off the stopper and it does as folks on here say it should so I had no reason to go so far as to do a torque test.

Perhaps what we're into here is a difference of individual interpretation???

Having said that, I will, for arguement's sake, get around to checking the bearing torque as I do have the proper wrench for it. Being the skeptic that I am though, I doubt my effort will show anything out of spec.

Thanks tho for your input ... it is appreciated.

Chris ... were you at Kruisin Kootenays last year??

Your comment above is one I always find interesting although it doesn't really come up very often. The reason I find it interesting is because I can't concur with it and it makes me wonder why folks make this statement. We were out this past Saturday for a short ride and it was the first ride on the scoot since last October. As it turned out, there was a bit of a wind blowing ... not much ... and I could immediately feel it. I was, at times, having a hard time staying in my "track" ... that being either the right or left of centre of the lane. I've noticed this since the beginning when I got the bike.

IMHO, the effect of wind or air turbulence on the RSV is far more than any "frame mount" fairing bike I've ever ridden, including an 1800 Wing which I ran at over 200 km/h on the freeway last year. This also includes my previous 4 bikes which were an '87 & '85 Venture, an '83 Wing, and a 74 Honda-4 ... all with frame mounted fairings.

Hi SilvT thanks for your honest and candid comments.

My comments are purely my subjective evaluation of riding the following bikes in the wind over a period of 25 years and coming to the conclusions I have come to.

1984 Venture Royale

1986 Venture Royale

1983 Venture

1984 Venture Royale

2001 RSV

1500 Gold Wing

1800 Gold wing

2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

2004 Midnight RSV - current

and riding with a GWRRA chapter on many rides in very strong winds and on the interstate behind large tractor trailer rigs.

Please remember this is only my totally subjective experience and my wife's input who has been with me on just about all of these windy rides and who has always ridden with me on the back of all the above named bikes.

Worst - 1800 Wing Hands down. That also comes from the three dozen wing riders in the local chapter who also grit their teeth when ever it is windy and making similar comments and observations. The person I purchase my 1800 Wing totally refused to ride in the wind and would not take his bike out in it. A friend who lives across the street from me owns an 1800 2008 Wing and he absolutely hates riding in the wind because the huge amount of exposed sail on the wing blows it around.

Next are the 4 1st gen Ventures I have owned and riden across the northern US with my wife and life time riding companion.

On one trip coming home on a 1984 Venture Royal from Lloydminster Saskatchewan to Red Deer we basically white-knuckled the entire trip home driving on the shoulder of the road it was so bad. We repeatedly kept asking ourselves if the situation was serious enough to warrant stopping for the night.

Best bike hands down in any kind of wind was my HD 06 Electra Glide Classic. It didn't matter how windy it was, the HD was always rock solid and never got moved around.

The second bike I have owned that I would consider the best, better than the Gold Wings was my 2001 Yamaha Royale Star Venture. My wife will place the same vote hands down. She knows instinctively when something is wrong and by the tenseness in my upper body and how I am responding to the driving conditions.

I can honestly say that the RSV handles good in the wind and in the buffeting behind a big semi-tractor trailer rig.

I know how to ride curves and counter-steer in windy conditions and it is my opinion that the RSV far out handled my gold wings in the wind. Don't flame me. I loved my Gold Wings but my choice and reasons for switching back to the Yamaha are because it handles better, doesn't get pushed around in the wind and is more comfortable for me adding to my overall confidence and safety for both myself and my wife.

I don't know if that helps you or not.

Here are things that I do before each trip and once a week when not holidaying

Tire pressure - inflated to what is written on the sidewall of the tire at cold psi, not the bike owners manual or the rear trunk lid.

Front forks inflated for my current ride and adjusted if road and ride conditions change

Rear shock adjusted for current ride and again, adjusted if necessary as the trip progresses.

Those little things are things I do religiously no question.

I don't know if this helps you or not but it works for my wife and I.

Kind regards

Chris

Good info but... I got this bike essentially new (1300 kilometers) just over 2 years ago and in now has just over 31,000 kilometers.

I've haven't checked the bearings for torque but have changed the tires. Although I suppose it's possible but I find it hard to believe the head bearings could be out of whack that bad with such few km's on the bike. Heck, I rode my '85 and '87 for twice that many km's and both had well over 130,000 on them and head bearings was never an issue, nor was the effect of the wind as noticeable.

The other part of my "arguement" is that anything bolted directly to the forks such as a fork mounted fairing which, in this case, catches ALL the wind is bound to have a direct effect on the steering ... it only makes logical sense. A frame mounted fairing disperses that effect through the frame and not so much on the steering.

Getting back to the bearings, there is no looseness and I have done the "test" by checking the "bounce-back" off the stopper and it does as folks on here say it should so I had no reason to go so far as to do a torque test.

Perhaps what we're into here is a difference of individual interpretation???

Having said that, I will, for arguement's sake, get around to checking the bearing torque as I do have the proper wrench for it. Being the skeptic that I am though, I doubt my effort will show anything out of spec.

Thanks tho for your input ... it is appreciated.

Two years old and ONLY 31,000 kms on it?? ouch.. you don't get out much.. I put 33,500 Miles on the RSV summer of 09, and 29,500 miles last summer.. ;)

The neck bearings on mine were very out of whack.. and though the 'bounce test' as you described showed it was OK, the pulling on the axle showed a lot of knocking in the bearings (front to back angle).. Once I got that taken care of, the bike handled SO much better..

I see what you mean about the fairing.. I ride my bike with an extra tall / wide windscreen and then in the hot days of summer will swap it out for a little 3 inch thing for direct wind cooling.. there IS a very noticeable difference in the bike's handling in any condition when you go from big to tiny windscreen but I honestly can't think that the big windscreen and fairing causes a lot of wind shifting..

Are you basically just comparing the feel from the GW to the RSV or is the condition very difficult to enjoy the ride on the RSV in the wind? I've never had the opportunity to ride a GW before so I don't know how they handle in the wind.. it's JUST the maintenance nightmare that shies my away from them.. I'm soon going to be old enough to own one.. but I'm gonna stick with the RSV for a while.. ;)

I might be out your way next year on a cross-Canada run, we can compare notes then.. Cape Spear this summer to dip the Atlantic..

I didn't know the NJ Pike was 180 miles long

It only FEELS that way lol.. I like jumping on the I95 in Houlton Maine and stopping 3 days later in Miami... then turn around and go home ;) Just to feel the heat..

However I need to find a way around NYC.. going through Brooklyn at 5pm sucked canal water lol