IGNORED

How much more will it take?

Been at this for a week now almost,,,, trying to remove the fly wheel so I can send the starter clutch to Dano, so he can make his millions, but the dang thing won't jump off. Just how much torque is too much or is my next tool selection a sledge an then a jack hammer.

I've heated it, tapped it, pounded it, spoke to it, about it, did everything but take it to bed with me,,,,,, I'm not sure Marca would understand or appreciate it. What Now??????

Wanna borrow my shop gremlins? I fought mine for a full afternoon and gave up and went to bed.

In the morning I found it laying in the pile of packing quilts I had used to protect it from hitting the floor if/when it came off.

Damn shame I slept through it. Would have liked to seen it make that 1 1/2 foot jump into the pile.

I had gone through the impact tighten, heat, impact tighten, heat and tap and impact tighten again all day. The temps dropped over night into the 20's and I guess the change in temps did the trick. Then again having left the puller on with a full load on it probably helped. LOL.

But I like the shop gremlin story better myself. I guess they moved. I have left all kinds of unfinished projects out there and they are never done when I wake up.

It's worth the fight. I've had my new engage in for a full season now and it never misses a lick. Great upgrade!!

:080402gudl_prv:

Looking at those pics again I'd guess you don't have an impact wrench. If you don't you might want to try to rent one or try a tool loan program from a parts store. After what I went through I do not belive the long breaker bar is going to do the trick. I used a 1/2 drive and was considering borrowing my buddies 3/4. LOL! And make sure you have something for the rotor to land on. Don't want that puppy boucing across the floor.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth
An afterthought...

Take a dull punch and stick it against the outside sleeve that goes over the crankshaft and hit it with a hammer. It is the same principle as taking a tie rod end loose on a car. The way that works is to hit on the outside ring that the tie rod bolt goes through and it will instantaniously deform the part and it will pop loose, without actually bending anything. I notice you still have the nut on the end of the crankshaft. Do you have it loose enough?

RandyA

I'm sorry hear about your Problem, Carl. Yes, those B......s can be a real pita.

Smart A.. Comment ... are you sure the Pipe Fitting you used as a Spacer between Crank Shaft and Puller Spindle is smaller than the Bore on the Flywheel(22 mm) ?

I see, you use a Sort of Pipe Pliers as a Holder Tool on the Puller, this may cause some Distortion on the three Bolts which connect to the Rotor and disturb the Force applied to the Rotor. I allways use a flat Box End Wrench with 32mm on the Flywhell itself. Works every Time with only half of the Lenght of the Cheater Bar ....

Other than this, i wish you Tons of Luck :fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo and may the Force be with you ... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

+1 on the impact wrench. And it cannot be one of those Harbor Frieght ones. I've needed one a couple of times and have a buddy that is a heavy truck mechanic. He has an electric (Snap-On or Milwaukee don't recall which) impact wrench that puts out about 550 to 600 ft-lbs of torque. It has worked every time.

Make sure the battery is charged fully.

Good luck.

RR

Same suggestions as above especially make sure the nut is loose...

You can also take a babbot (lead) hammer and hit dead center the joint of your cheater bar while you or helper applies pressure. You just need a lot of vibration.

!/2 air wrench with 150 lbs air would be best as it would come right off (or break your puller)

They also make electric impact wrenches.. Believe they sell em at harbor freight.

Just be careful what your beating and heating...

Answers:

The spacer is smaller, I made it just right with that in mind.

I have an impact, but I think I'll look for a bigger one. I think the vibration may help if nothing else.

That puppie won't fly off, but just in case there are a whole bunch of rags in a basket ready to catch the critter when and if it does birth.

I watch the puller closely for distortion, but you may be correct on minute twisting, so I go for an impact.

The bolt going into the crank has a spacer under it which fits inside the flywheel, so things can pop if they want to.

Going for the impact.

Thanks Guys, you're good support.

And Oh, I think the exhaust on Wayne's machine is manageable, I think it's starting to listen to reason after seeing what's going on next door.

Buy a second gen.:stirthepot:

Get as much of a bind on the puller as you can use a heal bar or what ever you have to pull the clutch away from the case then hit the puller center bolt with a hammer. If it doesn't come off tighten the puller bolt some more it will usually turn some more after you hit the bolt

When i pulled mine with a cheep puller it bent the puller , then i bought the one pcw sells for the vmax flywheel and i mounted it up tightened it with a 1/2 inch impact driver then hit the end of the centerbolt with a medium hammer and it poped right off. worked so good i installed it on a second one and it poped off just like the first one . i havent used the puller since but it was worth the money.

Carl....Heat it with a propane torch, it will come off as I had to do that with my '89 and Gunboats '99 when I did my starter clutch and his stator upgrade.

Tried that,,, now a number of times,,,, heated all the way around, in one spot only, and just about got some heated words to if that would be the ticket,,,, but all to no avail. Next maybe to take the pressure off, then heat it, then put the pressure back on,,,,, along with a 1\2" impact.

If the rest of the bike is as stubborn as this piece we'll have to 'hit it over the head' to get rid of it,,,,, now,, that won't happen anytime soon!!!!!!!!!

+1 on the impact wrench. I've needed one a couple of times and have a buddy that is a heavy truck mechanic. He has an electric (Snap-On or Milwaukee don't recall which) impact wrench that puts out about 550 to 600 ft-lbs of torque.RR

10-4 0n that! A friend of mine owns a service shop. I noticed one day the lack of the old ever present air lines around the shop and I asked him about it. Turned around and handed me a Snap-On 1/2 impact. Electric with the battery pack. I just kind of laughed and he pointed to a 5/8 bolt with a rusted nut on it. I went to try it and he stopped me and said, "Both hands!" Man that thing had some power!!

Only about $400.00 each but every mechanic in his shop had one. Wave of the future I guess.

Mike

Ahhh, not even close Brad...........

You got that right Dano,,,, young Brad still has a few things to learn, as we seen in another thread, but that's a different story.

I did try the punch trick,,,,,again, and again and then again after it was suggested, thanks anyways, all ideas are welcome.

And oh, it's still there,,,, ja,,, still there,,,,,, well m a y b e,,,,,,,, nope it's still there!:confused:

Ahhh, not even close Brad...........

Hey Dan I think the bike is trying hard and I think it may be gaining a little. :rotf:

Carl, hook it up to a couple of those pulleys on the ceiling maybe that would help. It went on so it has to come off. :stirthepot:

I probably would have broken something by now.

Brad

Alright everybody, thanks for your input, especially BradT,,,right,,,,

the fool thing is off!!!!!!!!!!

Now if you like to know how it was done,,,,,,,,,well.

As you can see I manged to screw up the puller, so first I had to fix that somewhat, after that, it seemed to be a good thing to also fix the spacer a little, so I did that, then I brought the whole business over to where is was going to be most useful and proceeded to install it all back on the flying wheel, which hasn't done too much flying and I was starting to think that maybe it was named wrong so I was coming up with a better name, but in the meantime I was putting the heat of fire under the so called flying wheel tower,,, after which I tightened the snot out of the puller using my 3' extender bar. I tell you things were poping and snapping at me, but I gave it no mind whatsoever, for the end of the puller was not what it used to be, or ever be again. After some time, and getting quite cranky, I said: that's enough for now and then proceeded to use the punch trick again, this time with more forcefulness than what thought would be normal, but seeing as at this point nothing else was normal, why should I then limit it to the punch affair,,,, so I whacked away it with all my heart,,,,, I kept all the words to myself but then I let one thing slip out,,,, it was kind of a threat I suppose, but Scamper took heed when she heard the words: if this don't come apart soon, I'll go look for a second,,,,, and at that point, IT JUMPED APART. So my friends, i have determined that it's all in the words you use,,,, nothing else,,,,Scamper will live on to see another day.

Something that no one has mentioned.

That flywheel has ceramic magnets in it.

Ceramic magnets do not like heat or shock/vibration.

Be careful with the torch and banging on things or you may end up with the nice working starter and no charger.

Impact can also be hard on the puller.

Now for the dumb obvious questions; But I have to ask.

Did you oil the threads of the puller?

Did you take out the bolt that holds the flywheel on?

Are you certain that you puller is pressing on the end of the crank and not the end of the flywheel?

Are you using a puller that has a ball and socket pad on the end? Did you grease it?

When you put in the 3 pull bolts, did you put them in only finger tight and not tighten them with a wrench?