IGNORED

Total Kee Replacement

Crash

Well I have scheduled to have my right knee to have total knee replacement surgery on Feb 7th. So the I will have 2 bionic knees. :thumbsup2: One other nice thing is the drugs I get also take my headaches away. :cool10: Just too bad I get take these drugs all the time. :rotfl:Oh well. Please wish me well on the 7th and send a little prayer my way. Thanks.

Good luck Crash

It looks like we could start our own section on people being rebuilt. I had my staples taken out yesterday from my left knee replacement. I had the right hip and the right knee done 2 years ago. I do have to say they have come a long way in 2 years. The pain factor for this knee is much less and is healing up much faster.

I wasn't looking forward to getting this knee done but really looking forward to the next month to be over with and being back to normal.

Good luck and heal fast riding season is still a way off so what better time to get it done.

Good luck

Steve

Thinking I had injured my knee at the gym I was diagnosed with arthritis on my right knee about 3 years ago. I can only assume jumping out of airplanes had brought this on early in my life at the age of 50.

I was not really interested in my doctors advice about a partial knee replacement. I remember him telling me that I would know when it was time. Upon quizzing him what that meant I was informed that the pain would bring me in for the surgery.

Since then I still hit the gym on a regular basis, but avoid anything that might aggraviate the knee, such as lunges, I take glucosamine religiously and try avoid any stress to that area. Sometimes she flares up but I no longer wake in the middle of the night from pain.

I know my time will come but I will do everything physically and spiritually to delay that surgery! It does my heart good to hear that those of you that have gone through the procedure continue to ride. Prayers are sent for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

Not to scare you or anything, but knee replacement do fail and they fail more frequently than most people realize. Example I have had one total knee replacement on my left knee, in 08, less that a year later it failed, something about the adhesive on the lower protheses, so that had to go in and do what they call a revision of the TKR, got the revision done late in 09. Ok got a totally different type of knee things went well until a componant of the new knee broke off, in 2010 got a third revision. Ok, doing well so far on the left knee. So that brings us to October 2010 time to do the right knee. Doing well so far. Worked hard to get at least 98 degrees flexibility in my right knee and and by mid Nov. I was riding my Roadstar 1700, I had to devise a new technic to mounting my RSV because is is a lot taller than the Roadstar and my hip had a hard time swinging that right leg with the new knee over the seat. Long story short I am now and have been riding both bikes for about a month.

My operations was performed at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio TX. I was in very good company during my rehab working along side our wounded warriors.

You may do better than me. I am not in the best of physical conditioning, but I make it by riding a lot now.

GOOD LUCK. Have a good ONE.

Rick A.:thumbsup2:

My wife had her left knee replaced this past June. We learned a few lessons some of which I thought I might share. First 'range of motion' is everything. The goal is to get as much as possible as fast as possible. In order to get it you must push the scar tissue off from around that new knee. Once that stuff hardens it is hard to get off. Read that manipulation. So in addition to the physical therapist we did intense PT every day at home. Don't wait. Get after this right away. If they will let you get a blanket and do it on the floor in the hospital. After the assigned exercises we also bent the knee as much as she could stand it. Pain pills are a must. It was difficult at first to bend her knee because she was lying on her back. This meant I would have to grab the areas that were stitched. Not good. We learned that if she rolled over on her stomach I could place one hand on the back of her calf just above the knee and the other on her ankle. This allowed me to exert quite a bit of bending force on her knee. She could also pound her fists on the floor. There are two main tendons on the back of the leg at the knee. By putting some downward pressure on these right at the back of the knee as I held her calf her pain was greatly reduced. Meaning I was able to bend further before it became unbearable. At this point she has 135 degrees of motion and we have reduced our PT to every other day. We are hoping for 140 degrees by next June. After that just maintenance exercises. Maybe we will reach our goal maybe not but we weren't willing to settle for that 90 to 110 degrees the therapist was willing to sign off on.

Best of Luck

Hope this Helps

Mike

Thanks for the well wishes. I got great motion after my left knee was done. Lots of exercises and funny that no one mention the CPMhttp://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CEIQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FContinuous_passive_motion&rct=j&q=cpm%20machine&ei=Y_xCTZa9NouGvgOc1b3SAQ&usg=AFQjCNFG8fKwE615e6aJjgXAIfi3I0AMFA&sig2=rAoRvQj27G50ZjhcPKFBcg&cad=rja machine. That machine was great.

I used the CPM for a week but we have a stationary bike that I use everyday. Started with the seat way up and have been reduceing the seat distance everyday. I can get a lot more reps. in a shorter time.

Pt released me this morning and I can get 110 degree's out of the knee in 2 weeks. Getting full extension on the leg is just as important as flexion.

No matter how hard you push it healing takes time. If you overdo it it will take longer for the swelling to go down.

I use the bike about 15 min.s 4 times a day and when sitting I use a pillow under my left ankle and a 3 lb. weight on my knee. this has gotten me to 0 extention with out any problems.

My rt. knee I worked the same way 2 years ago and have 135 degree's in it with no problems.

Best of luck with a fast recovery I'm sure there are a lot of us that just abused our bodies when we were young and are paying for it now. If I knew I would llive this long I would have taken better care of myself. LOL

I've had both replaced. Wish I hadn't waited so long. Quality of life is much improved and the pain is GONE.

Ask the doc for Percodan. Doesn't make you too goofy and kills the pain. Great dreams too!

I was walking unaided in 7 days, out of re-hab in a month, back to work in six weeks.

Modern medicine and the grace of a loving God does miracles.

You'll do well.

Prayers up.