IGNORED

And your next bike will be?

Chiro

WEll I ws going to get a FJR1300 but yamaha put in defective valve guides so the bikes have a common problem of the valves failing in the FJR engines. OF 4 I looked at 3 had the same tick in the engine that indicated worn valve guides at 36,000 miles. So that bike is off the list.

Honda has their Goldwing, I dont want to take out a second mortgage..

Their Goldwing Lite the ST1300 are harder starting than my 1st gen venture after sitting for a winter in storage from my experience in riding one this smmer. How can a fuel injected bike not start within 1/2 a revolution? It has a stiff ride, but that can be tolerated with a corbin seat upgrade. Lots of complaints online about build quality with the tupperware and the power windshield.

BMW: again, overly expensive. and a lot of gadgets that I will not use. I worry about serviceability in the driveway.

Kawasaki Concourse: Probably the bike I will buy... I cant find any negatives on this bike online... That means the owners are happy with them.

My gripe is that all these bikes have tiny tiny saddlebags and a ugly tiny trunk, why cant they make a decent set of bags for these "sport touring" bikes?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only other bike that interests me is the Victory Cross Country. Its feature set falls short of the RSV in several ways, even with trunk added, but I might be able to make the downward adjustment or find ways to upgrade it for better lower weather protection, CB, etc.

That said, I have two over-18 kids in college and an eight year old (maybe in college in nine years). Maybe I could get another bike after the first two are out of college, but right now the RSV is holding up well, if the deer would just stay out of the way!

In another thread I was asked what was so special about my bike, since I want to transport her to Europe to tour! I have thought about that long and hard since but it really fairly easy to answer. This bike is special to me. I don't want any other. I was captivated when I first laid eyes on her. At the time I did not know it was a Yamaha. Took me two days to track her down and find out. Once that was done I researched everything about her even down to what color scheme I wanted.

This love affair has not diminished one bit since that first encounter. I find myself on wet, dreary, days, with not much else to do, tinkering with her in the garage. I just recently installed a center stand. Upon getting her up on the stand I could not resist cleaning her. The center stand reminded me of my first bike, Suzuki 550, and the times I use to clean her while on a center stand. I cleaned her before even finding out if I could get her off the center stand!

Yhea, I know I got it bad! It does my heart good to see so many others here are staying with theirs!! Although I do like a Valkeryie Interstate, they have a similar color scheme to mine, I truly do not know any other bike out there that I like as much!

My plans are to drive her into the ground, sweep up the dust and drive her some more. I'll do the trike conversion once my body can no longer support her upright, but not till then!

Well, in all honesty, I really don't think I'll be buying another bike...at all. I really enjoy the Midnite Venture that I have, it's only 7 years old, only has 110,000 k's on it, and it's dressed up the way I like it...almost. There's still some more to add......

I'm in my 55th year....I don't see the need to change out of something I like. Wasting money way too close to retirement for me. I like what I've got, it runs like a charm, looks good, feels good, smells good, tastes good........

I'm thinking when I'm done with it, it will have been triked....and when I can't handle that, I'll pass it on to someone else who appreciates what is has been and still would be.

They just ain't cheap(I guess I am), retirement isn't that far off(I hope and pray)and it's barely broken in.

So why change?

gunk:Laugh:

I hope I'll get another 20 outta this bike. Unless the rear shock goes again. I might think about getting a different bike then. I really don't like the idea of having to pay so much for a part with a bad design. I mean, look at the 1stgens. They don't lose their shock every couple of years. If it goes, so will the bike, if I can find something as comfortable.

I'm thinkin' that my '07 RSV keeps feelin' taller and more top heavy the closer I get to 74 years young, 'specially when two up. I'm looking into the "trike" kits that just add two more wheels, not the full blown trike conversion. Mostly a matter of budget, don't want to take off all those good parts (wheel/tire, saddle bags, etc.) in order to replace them with the high $ conversion.

And then there is the Can Am Spyder. Maybe find a used/demo for a decent price? It would have to be a touring model, and I'd want the manual transmission. That electronic do-dad shifter just would not make me feel comfortable about reliability. If anyone here has any experience with the Can Am or know someone who does, please comment.

I posted before about the Can-Am. My cousin has one and I've ridden it on more than one occasion. It's solid and it's automatic. Takes a little getting used to and it has it's problems like any other bike. His has been in twice under warranty, once for the front hatch not seating properly and once for some thing to do with the tranny, but I think that's been worked out. Personally, I like it and it would be on my short list, but it seems unreasonably expensive to me for what it is. I think he paid too much, like, 27k. Like you, I might keep my eyes open for a used model.

I too have to consider the ol' knees. They are not getting any better with age. Right now I'm with out, but I'm always scheming and conniving, so hopefully, soon.

:fingers-crossed-emo

My next scoot will be an dual sport of the Honda XR650L persuasion, to replace the dual sport I sold to buy my RSV. I like power slides and jumps and wheel stands.

When my Venture wears out, and if I can still hold one up, I'll be looking for another Venture. :D

The RSV fits quite well and if I should change, it will likely be for a bike that isn't made yet.

For me and a few of my friends, we have found on all bikes we've owned; their little annoyances or ergonomic issues.

There will likely never be a perfectly bike built for everyone; but the one that I would prefer requires fuel injection, ABS, full fairing including leg protection, CC, heated seats, backrest with the same or more power and smooth as the RSV.

Presumably a great handling Lazyboy on 2 wheels? :hihi:

:2cents:

well i have had several bikes growing up but my first love has always been a yamaha. i bought my step dads honda 750 drove it every where then one day i needed the money so i sold it then it was my birthday and i was on third shift my woke me up me up and said go get your birthday present and she new i wanted a bike again so i went looking and i found a 1983 venture royal fell in love with her had her for a few years then we had kids so that fell by the road side so did with out again then we decided it was time to get another one i looked and looked and then i came apon a bike that like the best bike to me plus it was a yamaha. i looked at all the models and all the colors and i fell in love with the 2006 black cherry with the tank emblem that was like no other i think that is what caught my eye bi looked all over and when i would find one it was sold i almost gave up then my wife found one on cycle trader in kansas city i called and put down a down payment and went and picked her a few day later. i have had some trouble with radio but i am working on that but other than that i will not be looking for another bike till the wheels fall off or there is no VENTURE RIDER FAMILY any more and i dont see that happeing any time soon. glad to be a part of this site and wouldnt trade all things that i learned and all the freinds i have meet and the ones i havent meet yet. thank you all for letting me talk.

Guest RawHide

Was 85 Venture Royale and it was really comfortable for long cruising tours. I saw NYJerry GOLDWING and I like the features. Hmmmm I dont want a Trike though...but who knows. Whatever....I look for smooth comfort riding for traveling!

I think I am a die hard when it comes for touring...VENTURE RIDER I AM!

You know guys,

Many of you are going through the same trauma, indecision, etc that many of us went through in 1993 before we knew for sure there would not be a 1994 Venture. Frankly prior to then there was some speculation that Yamaha was coming out with a newly designed compeditor to the GL1500. You can imagine what we felt when we learned there would not be a 1994 model? Many of my friends bought the GL1500 just because they wanted a new bike. It was interesting that within a few months every 93 that was still on a showroom floor was immediately sold. But others like me stuck with our Ventures and I bought a low mileage 93 as soon as I could. But I created a new model by moving all my black 91 plastic to the 93 and created a blue 91....two one-of-a-kind bikes.

I don't know for sure, but in hindsight I think Yamaha had a plan for changing their marketing focus to the cruiser. In fact when I came back from Sturgis in 1991, I had this crazy idea of droping a Venture drive line into a Harley frame. Frankly what I had envisioned was the 1996 Royal Star? Not a bike I would trade my 93 for but I knew it was only a matter of time before they gave us our Venture, which came in 99.

But you know what they kept during all of those years.....yeah the V-Max which still continues today in a newly designed bike and drive line. In fact when it was announced that a new V-Max was being designed and they came out with that prototype mockup, I was talking with a long time V-Max owner. And his immediate take on the bike was that once the V-Max was out, they would take the changes they made to this driveline and put it into a new touring model....something that would really compete with all of the other touring models. This is pretty much what they did with the 85 V-Max where they took the improvements from this driveline to create the 86 1300 Venture.

Have any of you noticed the long wheelbase of the new V-Max? I frankly had not, even though a close friend of mine bought one. It was not until I was working a corner at a track day and was watching a new V-Max running in the beginner class, that I realized this bike doesn't handle corners like I thought it should. Then I noticed how long this new V-Max was compared to it's older brothers. That's when I decided to check the specs and found that the new V-Max was only a few mm shorter than our RSV.

So here we have some well calculated speculation that we will not know for certain until Yamaha announces it after the dealer's show in August. I really thought it would happen this year as a 2011 model, but I suspect because of the economy they may have decided that this year was bad timing. From what history has shown us, Yamaha will be closed lipped about this big of a change until they can really hit the market with something that no one has. And I don't beleive for a moment that they will take one of their big twins and turn it into a grand touring bike.....where everyone has already done this.

So...this means we all will just have to wait. And if you still want a new Venture, buy one of the current models where they are still the best buy in the market and available. Frankly in my area, they sell as soon as they hit the showroom. My 02 Midnight now has 130k on it and it's still going pretty strong even though I had to replace the stator this past year. And I'm keeping it as long as it will hold together....or they come out with a new Venture? I still feel Yamaha has a plan to give us a new V-4 touring bike?

There you have my insight,

Rick

Next bike will be an 09 or later ultra classic. Hey MasterGuns. Where can you buy a 2011 screamin eagle ultra classic for 38,000. I insured a 2010 screamin eagle ultra classic for a guy last february and he paid close to 45,000 and had to go to south carolina to find it.

I bought my RSV last summer......It is my next bike. I also have a Road Star and love it so I have no intentions of getting rid of it or the RSV. I looked and decided that the RSV looks like a motorcycle rather than the Gold Wings. No doubt the wings are great motorcycles but I just didn't care for a motorcycle that you can't see the motor.

I'll drive both of my Yamahas until they turn to dust then but another one.

Now on the other hand if I couldn't get a Yamaha I would look at the Kaw 1700 Voyager.

I don't like the HD attitude enough to join that crowd. Every HD rider I have rode with seems to think that I ride a clone and that makes them better than me.