IGNORED

Thinking of a K&N air filter but...

Hi I have read several posts about the K&N air filters. I am assuming the only advantage to going to a K&N type filter is that it is reusable and thus in the long run cheaper than replacing the stock filter over the life of the bike.

Is there any other advantage? Besides all the hubris and claims, does the K&N actually have an impact on HP all by itself?

I find that quite hard to believe so if anyone has any actual hard, factual information they would like to share I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I have K&N filters and they are fine. I only got them for more breathing for my Venture and that I would not have to buy paper filters again. As far as horsepower, I doubt any increase is provided. They will allow better air to the system and that in itself is an increase in performance.

:farmer:

Chris,

The main reason for many of us using K&Ns is mostly because it is a filter that lasts longer (like 100k?) than oem because it can be cleaned and re-oiled. And its filtration and air flow is really much better than oem. Frankly I have been using them for decades and have them in all of my vehicles. And even though there may be some better filters on the market (like the new AMSOIL filters) there are not many manuafactures that make one for our RSV and RSTD intakes.

So it's my humble opinion that for the money, you can't go wrong with a well maintained K&N. But since you asked the question, you will probably find many other differing opinions :Laugh:

Hope this helps,

Rick

When I bought the used RSV I swapped the filters to K&N as I really prefer them over stock. I clean mine out mid-summer and end of season riding.. on THIS bike they stay rather nice and clean compared to the exposed filter mods I have on the VStar..

The big difference I noticed was a slight reduction in fuel mileage.. and to be honest, I probably "feel" my bike has more oomph to it than a bike with stock filters (I have aftermarket slip ons as well..).. So the combo of the two allows the bike to breathe better..

I only say "feels" like it has more oomph as I haven't done a comparison dyno run on the bike with both setup, so it's all subjective.

Sounds better anyway =)

I'm more concerned with engine wear than performance. I had K&Ns but replaced them with the OEM. After reading a number of articles about ISO 5011. It would appear that although K&N does breath better it also allows more dirt to be sucked into the engine.

Best flowing and best filtering is really a contradictory statement. The K&N site does have a contra argument to the ISO 5011 testing, but being involved with the ISO testing folks for a number of years in my job I tend to lean more toward their findings. Bottom line, K&N was next to last for letting in the most dirt, or in other words was second best at letting in the most dirt. But the best in letting in the most air. Having ridden my bike both ways I find negligible difference in performance. Just saying...

I'm more concerned with engine wear than performance. I had K&Ns but replaced them with the OEM. After reading a number of articles about ISO 5011. It would appear that although K&N does breath better it also allows more dirt to be sucked into the engine.

Best flowing and best filtering is really a contradictory statement. The K&N site does have a contra argument to the ISO 5011 testing, but being involved with the ISO testing folks for a number of years in my job I tend to lean more toward their findings. Bottom line, K&N was next to last for letting in the most dirt, or in other words was second best at letting in the most dirt. But the best in letting in the most air. Having ridden my bike both ways I find negligible difference in performance. Just saying...

If you keep the K&N Charged properly it should do it's job just as well as OEM.

Flowing and filter don't have to be mutually exclusive. The K&n has proven technology, that is copied a lot. I used to own a Chassis Dyno (for cars) and saw a measurable increase in HP in EVERY car I put one in, with no other changes. How much hp? Depending on how hot the car was, it could go from 1-2 hp peak for a 120 hp street car to 5-10 hp for a stock muscle car or high hp sports car. Usually though, 1-3 hp is what most stock systems got.

They won't help fuel mileage any, because fuel mileage is basically measured at part throttle where air flow isn't impeded by a clean stock filter.

I have checked the intake tract of every vehicle I have had a K&N on for decades, and NEVER found any dirt past the filter except one time when I found i had put a hole in the filter! Closed the hole with some gasket maker, and the intake was clean again. but if you don't believe a "white glove" test on the intake, then believe the oil analysis I did on many cars before and after installing a K&N. Oil will pick up a noticeable increase in silicon as that is what is in most dirty air from concrete, dirt etc. NO increase except the one time with the hole in the filter. Huge difference before, during and after the hole.

If you have to have every last HP in your bike or car, then a K&N is some of the cheapest HP you can buy, but it won't be enough for you to feel. If you plan on keeping your bike for many years, you may be able to pay off the investment by just cleaning it for years.

If the above isn't true, then stick with a decent factory style filter, and don't worry about it.

• 1 year later...

Whether the OEM filter is better or the K&N is.......I've pretty much decided I'd just as soon not get myself all oiled up while changing filters! :-) That ALONE is enough of an argument to stay 'stock' for me. (Hate to sound like a PUSS.......but I got enough OTHER things messing up my floor, my jeans, and stuff!)

So, all that being said........anybody know the lowest priced mail-order source of a pair of stock air filters?

Thanks for any info,

Mike

I've used K&N oiled filters on many types of bikes. I never noticed any improvement in performance or fuel consumption, nor did I find any dirt on the clean side of the filters. I never did really believe the long mileage between cleanings K&N claimed, something like one million miles. I always cleaned and oiled mine every few thousand miles. I live in the desert, after all.. very dusty. The cleanability of the filters is the main thing that attracted me.

I still use the oem paper filters on the Venture, though. I replace them every 16k or so with new. Sometimes I will blow them out with light air, like the book says, but I don't make a big deal out of that... just when I have things apart for some other reason.

Ron Ayers has them for $23.18 each. You'll need two.

However, a couple years ago I ordered two of these from Ron Ayers. When I got the invoice, I saw they'd charged me an additional $30 or thereabouts because the filters are some sort of "special order" item that they charge a premium for. After that I stopped doing business with Ron Ayers.

But $23 each is not a very high price, IMO. If you can get them and not have to pay some sort of ridiculous premium over retail, then you should be good. Last set I got from the dealer shop. I think they were something like $30 each (can't remember exactly, brain is too old).

Patrick in Albuquerque

Just put K&N's in mine, because OEM's were leaving a trail of dust inside the filter housing to the cylinders. I will never "blow out" a paper filter.

Agree, should not use high pressure on the paper element.

Book sez "low pressure air" which I take to mean something on the order of canned air rather than a full blast of 120psi from the compressor. I've done this many, many times both on my Venture and my late, great Royal Star. Even with the canned air, I wouldn't open the valve full blast... you can regulate it.

I would, but I think it depends a lot on where you live. Out here in the desert, especially at certain times of year when the winds are howling, there's a lot of dust in the air. If you live in a greener area, could be you're still fine at that mileage. Still, for $50, its a lot of peace of mind.

And.................??

I would, but I think it depends a lot on where you live. Out here in the desert, especially at certain times of year when the winds are howling, there's a lot of dust in the air. If you live in a greener area, could be you're still fine at that mileage. Still, for $50, its a lot of peace of mind.

If it WERE only $50, that would be GREAT!

Unfortunately, it's considerably more expensive than that.

Bob Weaver Powersports in upstate New York (near Buffalo) quoted me a cost of $29.04 per filter........PLUS tax. (works out to about $65 with NY tax)

Here in Ontario (where I live), Kelly Cycle in Hamilton quoted me a price of $43.50 per filter........PLUS LOTS OF TAX......... i.e. 15%!!!

You have to get a LOT of peace of mind (and REALLY clean air) to warrant spending $100 on new air filters!!! (43+43+15%=100.05)

Almost makes you start thinking about McGiver-type solutions involving paper towels, coffee filters or the foam cushions out of your LazyBoy chair!

You must be using Canadian $. Can you order from a U.S. supplier without paying duty? Like I said before, they can be had mail order for under $25 U.S. each.

Even so, $100 once a year for air filters isn't out of line, and most people don't ride enough to have to do it more than every other year.

You must be using Canadian $. Can you order from a U.S. supplier without paying duty? Like I said before, they can be had mail order for under $25 U.S. each.

Even so, $100 once a year for air filters isn't out of line, and most people don't ride enough to have to do it more than every other year.

Actually, the Canadian dollar is trading slightly above par right now and has been for a while. And there's no duty on motorcycle parts. The problem is, our dealers still over-charge us because they can get away with it. Mail order can be useful, but the shipping costs can get ugly when they have to mail across the border.

For instance, Superstore tire shipping - free within the U.S. - $75 to Canada - at least that's what it was last year when I checked.

And, if it's sent by UPS, there is a $35 to $45 "brokerage fee" - another way of saying, "Bend over and brace yourself - welcome to the Great White North!"

Andy