the pavement. Rick Buttler modified my seat, a big help. The bike was a

REPO. You would think I bought a problem, a lemon. Maybe not, runs

OK. Wait-a-minute, I don’t have a history to reflect on to make this

judgment I’ve read the “TechTalk”, and I probably need the rear shock. But

this carb sync, lean adjustment, AIS, etc. although not Greek to me, I am

looking for help. Anybody around Houston, 77021, who would like to help

a retired guy …lets get together.

My first long trip was to Galveston, it was an education. Those who have

made the trip may recall the long left-sweeping curve entering the Causeway.

( After reading “How to Ride Like a Pro” on YouTube, I wanted to apply

some of what I learned). I was at 65 mph, counter steering, leaning left

and I could not hold the turn. CF was pulling me to the outside of the curve.

I shifted a good 5 ft.

I’m an avid read of the TecTalk, I enjoy the comments and helpful hints. No

regrets on my ’03 purchase, I wish I had made the purchase 10 yrs earlier. It's

a fun ride.

:301:

Man, my hat is off to ya, an RSV for your first bike and you are short too. If you can handle that baby you can handle anything! I am only 5'5" but I have been riding a long time, had Rick re-do my seat and he did a great job, but if you want to get even lower find a used corbin and get him to re-work it. Good luck with the new ride. Craig:080402gudl_prv:

Forget the leaning thing,,,, it will do that by itself, just don't try to stop it. Counter steering is the answer, if you are tracking outside the chosen path, and the curve is to the right, push right, look right and you'll go right, it'll lean all by itself, no need to worry about that part of it, consecrate on what you need to be doing,,,, looking, for sure looking, looking for sure, pushing and riding it out. Did I mention looking where you want to go?

I really think going left is almost the same, except opposite,,, I don't often go left, I like right much better. But I do think you should be looking left if you want to go left,,,,ya I think that's right, but some one will put me straight if need be,,,, 'course then I have to look straight,, not always easy either.

Sounds like someone (Squidley) in the area needs to put together an Maintenance M&E :whistling:

I would like to have a maintenance M&E at my place sometime. I live just about a half mile south of hwy 105 in Lake Conroe, there are great roads in this area to ride, and I have a rather large piece of property to accommodate lots of bikes. I just don't have clue as how to organize one of these. Squidley?

We can not stress this enough. If you need to go right. Push on the right hand grip. If you need to go right real bad...push hard and look where you want to go. Trust the bike it will go where you want. But you must not be afraid to lean it over, in a emergency. Low speed practice in a parking lot is recomended also. Also keep your speed down until you are comfortable on your scoot. Welcome, and have fun.

I would like to have a maintenance M&E at my place sometime. I live just about a half mile south of hwy 105 in Lake Conroe, there are great roads in this area to ride, and I have a rather large piece of property to accommodate lots of bikes. I just don't have clue as how to organize one of these. Squidley?

There is really not much to do to organize a maintenance day - you just pick a date and post here to invite all who desire to come. That's all you need to do. No food or special arrangements are expected or needed, but some people choose to do those things too.

The only other thing to consider is maybe making sure you have someone there who is fairly knowledgeable and handy on the maintenance things, since the majority of people who show up are there to get some help. If you have the skills, that is covered. If not, then you should probably look for a commitment from at least one other person who can fill that bill.

Also, try to avoid letting people get their hopes up on doing major repairs or major maintenance things like valves. A maintenance day should focus on things that can generally be handled without special tools and in less than two hours. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Just post a date and folks will show up!! I`m gonna have one end of march or early April, but these can happen every month or so and people will show up!!

Good to know, thanks. I don't have the skills, just have a good place to work on the bikes and a great area to ride. Maybe I'll try and put something together after the holidays.

A BIG WELCOME to the FAMILY!!!! there are a mess of us around the Houston area, I live in Waller. any time you want to get together and ride or BS, change a tire or tinker or go for Ice Cream!! just give me a hollar or post somthing on the board... we will ride for Ice Cream!!

Kreg

I’m new to the MC world. The ’03 RSV is my first bike. Acquired this

past summer I soon determine my legs height needed to be increased to touch

I shifted a good 5 ft.

a fun ride.

I bought a 1st Gen last summer and then moved to a 2nd Gen a couple of months ago. Now, I had rode motorcycles all my life, but nothing bigger than a 750. One thing that really surprised me about these bikes is I had to focus on looking all the way through the turn to the exit point to make it through ok. Never had to do that on the smaller bikes. It's not as big a deal now that I'm used to the big bikes, but for a long time I had to concentrate on looking at the exit of the curve all the way through the turn in order to come out on my line. Just keep your head up and practice and you'll get it soon enough.

I rode a MC for almost 40 years and had a short break from riding for almost 10 years. I bought a Yamaha 1100 and had no problem picking up from where I left off. But in order to ride my bike on post and get it registered for on post riding I had to have a MSF card. The course was fun and it really challenged me and they provided the bikes 250cc. I will, next year take the advanced course, this time using my own Yamaha Roadstar 1700, and yes I do expect to drop it once or twice. Not my RSV it has a sidecar. I don't think it would work out.

Rick

Guest scarylarry
dont mean to offend you but a beginer MSF course might be helpful, I know after a 10yr no riding season I took it before riding again 9yrs ago and it was very good. I would think it would be better then watching a video

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::amen::amen::amen:

Best couple hundred dollars that can be spent..

The bike takes some getting used to in turns. Don't be afraid of scrubbing off some speed just as you enter the turn with the rear brake only. Then roll out using the technique that the others have talked about. As you get used to the bike then you can push the envelope a bit more.

Forget the leaning thing,,,, it will do that by itself, just don't try to stop it. Counter steering is the answer, if you are tracking outside the chosen path, and the curve is to the right, push right, look right and you'll go right, it'll lean all by itself, no need to worry about that part of it, consecrate on what you need to be doing,,,, looking, for sure looking, looking for sure, pushing and riding it out. Did I mention looking where you want to go?

I really think going left is almost the same, except opposite,,, I don't often go left, I like right much better. But I do think you should be looking left if you want to go left,,,,ya I think that's right, but some one will put me straight if need be,,,, 'course then I have to look straight,, not always easy either.

:think:and if you look back and pull back on both handles you should be able to go backwards, thats why you don't need a reverse gear.:stickpoke::rasberry:

Guest PlaneCrazy
I’m new to the MC world. The ’03 RSV is my first bike. Acquired this

past summer I soon determine my legs height needed to be increased to touch

I shifted a good 5 ft.

a fun ride.

Hopefully you can get some people locally to help you out with the mtce. side of things. This forum is a amazing for the amount of people here and the experience pool.

I have say that I admire your courage starting out on an RSV as your first bike! It drives like a dream but it's a lot of bike to handle. I've been riding since '94 and I still had a "honeymoon" period with my RSV when I bought it last April. Especially with it's slow speed characteristics. I don't much like how the steering "locks" in tight slow turns nor how the rear brakes are a bit grabby and the weight really moves forward under hard braking. I've adjusted to it though and I plan on some mods in the spring.

I'd echo the other reply above though and suggest you invest in a Motorcycle Safety Course in your area. I took the beginner one and an experienced rider one and a refresher once so far and they are worth every penny. The beginner one is a must. It usually pays for itself in insurance savings... especially if you are a newly licensed rider. What's great about these courses is you can learn the proper techniques with good instructors watching you and if you make a mistake, it's on a cheap small course bike and nobody cares. Make a mistake on your RSV and you'll care... I guarantee it! lol.