IGNORED

Any Auto Mechanics ?

Pappa Bear

My wife drives an 2006 Malibu 4cyl auto. It is making a humming noise in the front end. I have rotated the tires, no change. jacked up and checked for any free play in both sides, nothing that i could feel. While still in the air with car in drive the noise is there and only changes with the speed of the wheels or vehicle speed. Don't think it is related to engine or trans cause the sound does not change with the rpm only wheel speed. The sound is not a clunking sound that I would think a bad cv joint but like the sound of big mud tires on a truck! Could it be a hub assembly going bad and not have any noticeable looseness? Any thought or help would be appreciated. :think:

Hey Ron,

Obviously, without inspecting the car in person, this is a "guess" but it sounds like the wheel hub bearing is starting to go bad. (sing) If I am not mistaken, if you return it to Chevy, it will be covered under the 5 year "power Train" warranty.

If not then the hub must be removed from the bottom of the strut and replaced. Most cars now a days, come with the hub and bearing as a unit. Should be in the $200.00 range for the hub assembly at an auto parts store. (NOT the dealer) You need to know if you have ABS or not.

Hope this helps,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Some other things that could cause it are alignment and loose inner fender, also check to see if the tires are cupping or scalloping on the inside, that'll do it too if you do a rotation on a car with a really bad alignment problem.

Stupid idea but check the lugs and make sure their all tight.

I also agree with the hub bearings. I recently placed both sides on my son's Taurus and they were making the same noise that you describe. The ones on his car came as complete hub assemblies. Kind of a pain to do but no special tools were needed.

hmmm.....well....come to think of it, I did have to buy a large socket for the nut. I think that was about $17.00 and the hub assemblies at Autozone were around $50.00 each.

I had he same problem with my son's 08 Mazda 3. I thought it was the bearings too. I had it checked at the dealer and bearings were fine but the tires were cupped and it did sound like mud tires on a truck. We put a new set of Kumo's on it and everything is fine now. If you have new tires (or fairly new), they can be trued (shaved) to eliminate the cupping. You'll loose some milage but it can buy some time until you can get a new set.:178:

If you have it up on a rack, with the wheels suspended in the air, and not touching anything, and it still makes the noise, then it's most likely the hub bearing. You won't hear tire noise, unless the tires are on the ground, going down the road.

It's easy to change. Go for it....unless it's under warranty, then let them do it.

Although I agree with consensus of a bad hub, could also be a dragging brake. (Also dragging brake can create the heat to burn out the grease in the hub). Easy to test, just drive about 10 miles and feel the center of the hubs, should at most be just barley warm. If too hot to touch-its the brake, collapsed line or defective caliper.

Thanks everyone. I jacked up one side at a time and it only makes the sound on the passenger side. I drove the car in circles while in reverse like someone mentioned with no noticeable sounds like faulty shaft may make. So I also believe it to be the bearing assembly. Thanks everyone, I will let you know on the outcome after replacement.