IGNORED

If you could trade your Venture for a Goldwing

zooer

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

previously owned '06 RSTD - loved the conversion provisions, fuel mileage and the mustang seat. traded for a previously owned beautiful sparkled '07 RSV and ultimately wrecked & totaled the RSV 12/10 - loved the ride on the long days. the yamer dealer was honest, fair and considerate but ultimately closed due to economy. anyway, after the wreck, was determined to obtain a GW for no more than the insurance settlement. previously owned '03 GL1800 purchased 01/11 and 10K miles later, loving the agility and lower CG. wish I still had the RSTD and RSV along with the GW, but, I won't give up the GW for either the RSTD or RSV. Butt Doctor helped me with the seat to accommodate my 29 inseam. riding buddies all ride 2 cylinder bikes. to each their own as long as it is 2 wheels.

If the Venture is in any kind of shape, I would most definitely prefer the Venture. It is a lighter bike, more power, much sportier looking, and in my humble opinion, the classier bike.

But then, that is me.

Best luck in whatever you decide.

Wiggyii

No offense but stock Ventures dont have more power. A GW1800 has power in every gear no matter the rpm. Twist the throttle in 5th gear and your gone.

GL1800 ... a Blue one like in TV5150's post .. yeessssssssssssssss!!!

Some might recall earlier thread of mine stating that I was going to get a Wing. In fact, I still want one but it's hard to make that "jump" ....

Our RSMV will be fully paid for by May next year. Once that bill is paid, we will be debt free. Our plan is to then funnel all our extra money into our retirement savings. With only a bit over 3 years to go, we need to save as much as we can and we're counting on all things remaining the same between now and then. So the dilemma ... do we borrow more and get a Wing or stick with the RSMV? .... it's almost a no-brainer.

As for a comparison between my scoot and an 1800 Wing .... seems there's a lot of pro's and con's being posted here. Some statements make me think that some ppl are either b/s ing or just don't know what they're talking about. I rode an '03 Wing a couple times ... I had that thing up over 200 km/h on the freeway and it didn't matter if I was running at the speed limit or at 200, that bike was rock solid and handled like a dream .... it actually gave me a scary feeling of confidence. Twisties were also a breeze not to mention the ease of manouverability in a parking lot. The thing practically drives itself. My only complaint was that the seat wasn't comfortable.

Would I trade my RSMV for an 1800 Wing??? ... I say again... in a HEARTBEAT ... if I could afford it. But, that is not to say I don't like my RSMV. ... It's a great bike and I love the looks but it's a bike you have to work at to drive it (compared to a Wing at least) and I'm getting too old to be workin any harder than I have to.

(just my $0.05)

Well, here I am... less than a year later ... and what am I riding now???

GUESS !!

LOL

And for those interested individuals, this Wing runs circles around my RSMV in every way, I don't care what anyone says to the contrary. Well, not in "every way" exactly ... fuel economy isn't quite as good. But I don't buy a bike based on that .... if I did, I'd be riding an electric scooter LOL

I have had three (3) Goldwings, a Honda-matic and a 750 Shadow, two Suzuki's, and now a RSV. As for the trade? No thanks. I really like the looks of the RSV. I'm not one to put down other bikes. I like what I like. There are things that I wish Yamaha would put into the RSV, but for now I will keep my Venture. Besides, it is kinda cool to walk into a parking lot full of Motorcycles and find your bike without much trouble. Not too many RSV, I like that.

If the Venture is in any kind of shape, I would most definitely prefer the Venture. It is a lighter bike, more power, much sportier looking, and in my humble opinion, the classier bike.

But then, that is me.

Best luck in whatever you decide.

Wiggyii

you just keep telling your self that SUNSHINE! and keep your helmet on incase you fall out of bed

now when you get a chance ride a wing and tell that story again!

my 2 cents....I have a RSTD not a venture. So minus trunk and full fairing I would assume it should be somewhat more nimble. I rode a buddys wing last year for a short ride. I loved the fixed fairing, but didnt like the leg room, or the plastic rubbing the inside of your calves while using the highway pegs. So when my purchase came around this spring I went with the HD Road Glide Custom (I know, I know....HD). Everybody always compares the venture/wing/ and the Ultra Classic (batwing). The Road Glide (fixed fairing) compares much better to the wing as far as handling, and blows my RSTD away in that category. Plus no cramped feeling from the fairing. The Road Glide fairing is farther ahead. The feet forward positon on the Road Glide is much better than the wing, I am not a small guy by any means (6' 1" and 265 pounds) and the road glide was hands down the best fit from me. I know this isnt quite what the origional post was about, and that it is an old thread. But if you get the chance to ride a Road glide try it, you might be surprised. I thought about trying a Venture instead. But I already own a bike that is a discontinued model, and I think everything is going Stratoliner. So I have no desire to own another discontinued model.

The only GW I ever rode was a late 80's model.

But then, my VR's are 83,84 and 88 so I am comparing apples to apples.

VR wins hands down.

They are faster, and corners way better!

The GW seemed to drag the center stand every time I tried to get into a decent corner!

The only GW I ever rode was a late 80's model.

But then, my VR's are 83,84 and 88 so I am comparing apples to apples.

VR wins hands down.

They are faster, and corners way better!

The GW seemed to drag the center stand every time I tried to get into a decent corner!

Theres no comparison to the 1800 GW it was designed by Hondas top sport bike designer to get rid of the old GW (1200 and 1500) stodgy image. Yes you would be right comparing the old 1200 and 1500 gw to 83-93 venture. The GW 1800 is basically a grown up sportbike / sport tourer. Like the 83-93 Venture. A riding style I prefer. Todays Venture is basically an old guy cruiser/ tourer bike. Theres nothing wrong with that to each his own ,but, I have to laugh when people say theyre not old enough to ride a new wing. Usually these people are a 2 nd gen rider on a bike design that looks like it came out of WWll.

Edited by CrazyHorse

No, they are a Cadillac of a bike for those who like that type of a ride from what I have saw and read. I like my RSTD and would ride a Goldwing if ever given a chance, just to find the difference for me. I do like the looks of the stripped down version, Valkyrie I think it is.

Fuzzy

Not mine, just a picture of one I would like to call mine......

[ATTACH]61624[/ATTACH]

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

But if you get the chance to ride a Road glide try it, you might be surprised.

I tried the RG Limited this past summer at Harley's Demo Days ... It was pretty nice alright but the 2 things I didn't like about it were the fairing (too far forward) and I found that it had more vibration than the ElectraGlide .... I really like the EG Ultra Limited.

Now, not saying the RSV isn't a good scoot... coz it is a really good one but, I am finding so many things about the Wing that I like a lot more than my RSMV.

Power - the Wing has it when you need it and a lot less changing gears to get into that "power range". One of the things about the RSV is that you need to run it at higher rpms to be in that power range. Due to the design of the engine, this means a noisier ride. The Wing can poke along in 5th gear @ 30mph (50 km/h) , you can crack the throttle and away it goes.

Handling - because the Wing's centre of gravity is lower and better balanced, the bike feels like it is much lighter than the RSV. Even just lifting it off the sidestand and rolling it around by hand is easier. Stopping and going is almost effortless whereas on the RSMV I always had to be conscious of balancing it. Parking lot turns are much easier on the Wing, even 2-up. High-speed slabbing takes no effort whatsoever.... the bike tracks very straight and true even on grooved or patched pavement. In the twisties .... well, except for the fact that it's lower to the ground than the RSV and you regularly drag the pegs, I can blast thru those corners much easier with less effort that I could on the RSMV and because of that, can take them faster, not to mention that once thru the corner I can accelerate a whole lot faster.

Comfort - Well, even though the Wing has pegs instead of forward floorboards, the feeling is similar to my 2 - 1st gen's ... which I was quite comfortable on. Additionally, I find I sit straighter and therefore am more comfortable and less sore after several hours riding than I was on the RSMV. The seat on the Wing is better for me and my skinny arse than the seat on the RSMV.

Wind - I dunno, I've read others comments that the Wing is crappy but yanno, I just don't see it that way. To me it's better than the RSMV was and neither Nina or I feel any "head buffeting" at all. I haven't felt that cross winds are any worse than any of my last 3 bikes and wind blasts from semis don't seem to be an issue either.

Other - The bags and trunk seem to hold more and are much easier to operate. I really like the display when it shows that one of them is not fully closed. The stereo system is better but that being said, I do have all four Polk speakers. The controller is simpler to use. I like the gauges ... easy to read and everything is there ... tach, clock, speedo, fuel, etc ... all easy to see. And then there's the mirrors ... MUCH better and since they are fairing mounted, and that the bike overall is smoother, there's absolutely zero distortion. The brakes on the Wing are far superior to those on the RSV (IMHO); however, they are also much "touchier". Thankfully this bike has ABS and linked brakes.

Appearance - Well, just like any other make of bike, color is a personal preference and I absolutely love the color of this Wing and the PO has added just the right amound of safety chrome in the right places. About all I will add to it is the bag and trunk chrome light strips. I didn't think I would but I am really liking the looks of MY Wing.

Two things I don't like - Fuel economy is not as good as the RSMV was but, I didn't buy any bike ever based on fuel economy so that is really not a big issue for me. Alternator and/or gear whine ... yes, some of these bikes have a real annoying whine but it's most noticeable at idle or when in 1st gear ... once beyond that, you really don't hear it. I'm going to change out the alternator over the winter to see if that helps any.

So, in summary, and to the OP's question .... I did and I'm happy I did. I didn't trade the RSMV but I did sell it for the same price I paid for this Wing so the only extra money I am out is the taxes I had to pay.

Edited by SilvrT

not yet as I only have 1200 miles on it, but I am looking into highway pegs, a kit to raise the handlebars and a kit to move the drivers pegs down and forward, but I don't have any disposable dollars till after January........

I have the kuriakin highway pegs with the fold down heel stirrups they help

I already stated my oppinions re the RSV Goldwing issue . In hopes of making the goldwing as comfortable for me as the RSV I would like to raise the handlebars and move them back a lot 3 inchs back maybe. This would allow me to have the seat recut to move my butt a couple inches further back, all this to give me a couple inches more knee room on the goldwing. MY knees only occasionally hit the fairing, but my knees are bent almost as much as when I ride my FJR Of course once I make all these changes the bike will handle like crap and I will be out a couple grand.

I already changed out the triple tee bearings to minimize the front end wobble Goldwings don't have (see the goldwing forums).

oh got to rambling forgot what I was getting at. who what how are you planning to fix up , what you see as the short commings of your wing. I am looking at a russel seat with a recut to move me back. Have no idea as to the handlebars at this time

None of these bikes are perfect So I just ride which ever bike fits my mood

My 2 cents worth,

I probably would do the trade for a loaded NEW Wing, but then I'd sell theWing and buy another used RSV (they're such a great deal on the used market), and maybe a nice used Victory with whatever was left over.

I've looked into Wings in the past, and no doubt, they are awesome bikes. But my issues with them are:

When I sit on a Goldwing, I feel like I'm sitting in an Accord, not on a motorcycle. To me motorcycling is an awesome visual experience, I don't want to look at a bunch of plastic and automotive looking guages.

I don't like saddlebags that open out. Unless you use liners, when you open them up everything will fall out.

I always get low to mid 40's mpg on my Venture even with my wife on the back and a full touring load. Wings seem to only get mid 30's.

Another big thing, I like to shop around and buy nice used bikes and let someone else take the depreciation hit. Ventures are an awesome deal on the used market, and come very nicely equipped. Goldwings are very pricey on the used market. I think that's mainly because of the "herd mentality". Most people in the market for a touring bike that don't buy a Harley will automatically buy a Wing, just blindly following the crowd.

A lot of what is standard on a Venture is optional on a Goldwing. My buddy's wing doesn't have a CB or a 12V charging outlet! (Of course it doesn't have a cassette player either). But who cares with mp3, Pandora internet radio, etc that you can play through your phone and the accessory jack!

And finally, I know the wing is probably a little faster but come on! How much speed do you need! A couple days ago my wife and I were with a group heading back to Orlando from the Keys and we got a little behind from me taking it a little too easy. With just a little twist of the throttle we went from 70 to 95 mph, in seconds, with no vibration, no drama, easy as falling off a log.

Yes, I'd take my Venture over a Wing anyday!