IGNORED

1984 Venture but is it a Royale

Hi all!

I took a quick look at an 84 Venture and I think it might be a Royale but it doesn't have any Royale badging. But it is loaded with the Class air ride, factory cruise, rider/passenger comm. stereo w/speakers. So do you think it's a Royale or a loaded standard model?

And how would I go about test driving for the worn 2nd gear, just jump on it in 2nd see if it stays in gear?

Thanks!

Might want to let us know how many miles it has on it. Usually lose 2nd gear up around 60,000 but it also depends on how it's been ridden. The 2nd gear fix isn't too bad if you're mechanical and can do it yourself otherwise it can cost a bit. Having the class and all the goodies either means they upgraded a standard or they de-badged it themselves. Either due to painting or replacing the bags.

Margaret

Hi all!

I took a quick look at an 84 Venture and I think it might be a Royale but it doesn't have any Royale badging. But it is loaded with the Class air ride, factory cruise, rider/passenger comm. stereo w/speakers. So do you think it's a Royale or a loaded standard model?

And how would I go about test driving for the worn 2nd gear, just jump on it in 2nd see if it stays in gear?

Thanks!

I also owned a 84 but it was a standard. It did have all the radio's and all the things the Royale had except it had an after market Electronic Cruise Control that by the way worked much better then the stock ones do.

I'm thinking if the badge on the trunk doesn't say "Royale" then it is a standard.

Seems most will agree that the second gear goes bad between 25,000 and 50,000 miles. Mine had 92,000 on it when I sold it and the second gear had not been touched as far as I know. I bought the bike with less than 6,000 miles.

They are great bikes.

Good Luck,

BOO

It could have just been debadged. The standard is pretty much a royale without the added electronics and CLASS. I'm not sure but the standard may not have had the selectable dampening on the rear shock, it's a knob on the side near the rear tire eith a chrome faceplate with the numbers 1 - 4 in a circle and a black knob for selecting...

It could have just been debadged. The standard is pretty much a royale without the added electronics and CLASS. I'm not sure but the standard may not have had the selectable dampening on the rear shock, it's a knob on the side near the rear tire eith a chrome faceplate with the numbers 1 - 4 in a circle and a black knob for selecting...

Bob, both has the damping adjustment, but the standard also has a hole for the schrader valve installation.

Big differance between the standard & royale is the CLASS & rear shock. Royale rear shock has an external spring on the outside at the bottom half & standard shock has a rubber boot cover.

Also what is the model shown on the frame sticker, down under the clutch & waterpump.

It should be XVZ12 _ _ _ (probably 3 letter suffix) this will help clear things up.

When I was doing the wiring circuit diagrams, the identifying thing I found between the Standard & Royales was the dash layout. The wiring is very different between the two dashes, wiring harness connector are different.

The Royale version has the clock at the bottom of the dash and also has the instrument panel dimmer control on the fight side of the dash. Also has gear position indicator to left of clock (shown in 5th gear)

1st picture is of a standard dash and second picture is a Royale dash (the three LED's above the center CMU were added by me, not on a stock unit, also red line indicator on tach is 7,500 RPM's on stock unit.)

Gary

Gary, are you sure the pictures you posted are not just of different years?

I have an 83 Royale....dash is just like the pic on the left.

I also have an 84 Standard... and is exactly like that pictured on the right.

Same here. I have a dash from an 84 parts bike without CLASS & rubber booted rear shock.

Gary, are you sure the pictures you posted are not just of different years?

I have an 83 Royale....dash is just like the pic on the left.

I also have an 84 Standard... and is exactly like that pictured on the right.

I do believe I was wrong on this.

Just looked at wiring diagrams and dash is not a good indicator.

95 bottles of beer on the wall

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
woo hoo!

Congrats on the new purchase!

How much did you get it for?

I thought I did pretty good, picked it up for $700 starts, runs, drives, stops, air susp works, cruise works, all lights work, looks get a 7 or 8 out of 10. But the pipe from the H-box to the LH muffler is broken off and the guy mentioned having the part to fix it and a couple of other odds and ends also. So he starts dragging out parts, first is an h-box with 1 frt head pipe still in it, cool right? Next comes a milk crate full of (not sure haven't looked all over yet) crash bars, tail light trim pieces etc, nice. Here comes a frt wheel, tire, rotors, brgs, axle, awesome! I got a little more he says... now he hauls out a couple different color side panels, a saddle bag, bottom of a top box and some other odds and ends. We done? Just one more thing..... and he "rolls" out the back third of a VR! Nothing much ahead of the rear swing arm but most the bits behind are there, except seat/bags/lights.... Glad I had a good sized trailer heck I was 130+ miles from home. LOL

Congrats....um, just one thing tho....

:photographing:

Get busy with pics first.

I know right. I'll get some asap. I even took a camera along for the test drive and didn't take 1 pic, cant believe it. lol

OK here we go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/snow4brains/Bike%20Stuff/VentureR2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/snow4brains/Bike%20Stuff/VentureR1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/snow4brains/Bike%20Stuff/VentureR.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/snow4brains/Bike%20Stuff/VentureR3.jpg

At least it's not an 8-track! LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/snow4brains/Bike%20Stuff/VentureR4.jpg