IGNORED

The Venture must be one of the best bikes out there for bang-for-the-buck.

Humbucker

I currently own a Kawasaki 1600 Classic, it's not the best bike for two-up rides, it's a little bit shy on power for this purpose IMHO and the brakes and shocks aren't cutting it either.

Don't get me wrong, she's been a good bike but maybe not the best thing for hauling two people comfortably. I might keep it as my own ride and get something else for two-up.

I'll admit that I was kind of feeling the tug of the Harley Glides but the price is certainly up there, the reasonable side of my brain just can't come to terms with laying out that much cash for a motorcycle. They're nice bikes alright, but not that nice!

And while there's a side of me that wouldn't mind being part of the big HD family out there on the road, another side of me wants to buck this idea completely because I'd probably feel like a lemming for letting social pressure influence my choice of a bike. Believe me, I've wrestled with this on and off for a couple of years but I'm now pretty sure that the non-HD side is winning this war in my head.

While I've never had the chance to ride a Venture, I've got a feeling that for two-up touring, a V-4 would be better then any bike with a V-twin anyway, no matter what brand.

So, I've tried to hone in on what might be the best touring bike for me, which one ticks all the boxes, or most of the boxes.

The new Vulcans are out because they're V-twins, and I've read enough reviews that were less then excited about Kawasaki's newest offerings. Plus, there's not much of a dealership network for Kawasaki here right now anyways, so they're out.

There's always the Goldwing but I'm not keen on the overall look of that bike, it pretty much leaves me cold in that department. Plus, it's really pricey! Even used, they're way too much money.

So, that lead me to the Yamaha Royal Star Venture. Really nice looking bike, seems to be of the highest quality too. It feels quite luxurious when you sit on it. I find it a tad top-heavy but I'm six feet tall, so I should be able to get used to it. The hardbags and trunk are super high quality. Actually, it seems that the total carrying capacity of the Venture is exactly the same as the Harley Glides. So, lots of storage capacity!

It also seems to look a bit better then the Harley, especially when looking at the back end, the saddlebags and trunk don't look boxy like the Harley's.

Like I already said, I guess I just can't see any sense in spending a small fortune on a motorcycle when you don't have to. The Venture is a LOT of bike and luckily, doesn't come with an inflated price.

It just looks to me that the Venture is probably the best deal out there for a touring bike. It's a beautiful looking bike, performs very well, is super reliable, has a great track record, lots of them around, lots of Yamaha dealers around and is priced for the common man. Hooray!!!

Can you tell that I'm really impressed with these bikes?!:)

When I decided that I wanted a bike, I went to the yearly motorcycle show here in Michigan. I looked at and sat on all the bikes, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Harley.....all the bikes. The one that I liked the best, fit me the best and was the most comfy to sit on was the Venture. I bought my 07 used last year with 9100 miles on it. It now has about 17,500 on it. I love this bike. I have absolutely no plans at buying anything else anytime soon. I get ALOT of compliments on the bike. It has plenty of get and go, styling and great gas mileage. I just wish I could convince my wife to sell the house to move to a warmer climate so I could ride all year around.

Bought my 06 in 06 and have been very pleased with it. It handles 2 up with ease and is a comfortable ride. Yes, they are a little heavy in a praking lot or at slow speed but that also makes it a good road bike. Durable as a tank! I don't think you'll be disappointed. 40 mpg is probably the average for most RSV's. Look around and you'll find a deal. Also, this web site is a real + for owners.

When I decided that I wanted a bike, I went to the yearly motorcycle show here in Michigan. I looked at and sat on all the bikes, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Harley.....all the bikes. The one that I liked the best, fit me the best and was the most comfy to sit on was the Venture. I bought my 07 used last year with 9100 miles on it. It now has about 17,500 on it. I love this bike. I have absolutely no plans at buying anything else anytime soon. I get ALOT of compliments on the bike. It has plenty of get and go, styling and great gas mileage. I just wish I could convince my wife to sell the house to move to a warmer climate so I could ride all year around.

You know a guy said to me "Well that Venture is an Electra glide look a like but for about 35% less money and it is water cooled" :doh: I thought to myself that doesn't make me the dummy

Of COURSE I would say that!!! I just bought one for myself! I did a huge search and asked a lot of questions to the folks in this forum, and they did not do me wrong. If you live near NW Georgia I'll let you ride mine a ways.

To be honest, you really can't go wrong with an RSV ... even though I beatch & whine and grumble about this, that, and the other thing, and imply that I'm going to go buy a Wing or some other brand .... I look at my RSMV with admiration and pride... and every time I ride it ... all those grumblings simply disappear. All that I can think of right now is that by May next year, it will be paid for and all the new "safety chrome" I will be able to then afford, not to mention the goodies I will be adding during this coming winter.

She sits in my garage just waiting for a nice warm day ... while she sits there, I mount her and dream of days past while I was riding her. (no playing on my words guyz... LOL)

Guest tx2sturgis
.. while she sits there, I mount her and dream of days past while I was riding her.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, 'bang-for-the-buck'....

There is one major problem with the venture 1st gen or 2nd gen that no one here has mentioned. The longer you ride it the harder it is to get off of. Some have even started to look at there home as a drive in pit stop and expect their wives to bring breakfast lunch and supper out to the bike. :smile5:

This could result in some serious issuse at home. or as the saying goes------AND THATS WHEN THE FIGHT BEGAN.:Avatars_Gee_George:

I still ride my '78 750 Special that I bought new. While I love that bike it was too small for my wife and I to tour. We rented a couple Harleys for a long range test drive and I had settled on a new RoadGLide as I like the fixed fairing.

Two problems with the RG...

1) Still have a son in college @ $35K/year

2) Roadie is $25K new.

So I pestered the wife for several years (pulled out all the stops...mid-life crisis, getting older need a new ride before I can't get it off the kick stand, etc.)

She kept saying when we're done with college and after she replaces her 10 yr old car. New RG looked dim.

Then I saw the ad for used '08 RSV with 1600 miles. Well, rest is history..took the wife for a test ride (be nice) and she loved it.:smilies6:

Brought it home for 40% of the cost of the RG (really, look around deals are out there especially this time of year)

The Venture is everything you mentioned and more. With this site and the experience of the members, you can save alot of time and $$$ customizing the bike and still be in for a lot less :mo money::mo money:

So keep your eye open for bikes on Craigslist and check out dealers till you find the one with your name on it and plan on adding extras over the off season - you won't regret it!

There is one major problem with the venture 1st gen or 2nd gen that no one here has mentioned. The longer you ride it the harder it is to get off of. Some have even started to look at there home as a drive in pit stop and expect their wives to bring breakfast lunch and supper out to the bike. :smile5:

This could result in some serious issuse at home. or as the saying goes------AND THATS WHEN THE FIGHT BEGAN.:Avatars_Gee_George:

I don't have this problem...before I got the venture I couldn't get the wife on my 900lt said she wasn't comfortable,the the seat was to hard,not enough back support.Now when i get home from work I find her in her leathers ready to go riding.And you thought I was going to say something else,didn't u.:yikes::rotfl::rotfl:Get your mind out of the gutter.:rasberry: