IGNORED

Question on Metzeler Tires

PGunn

I was out riding to a friends house last Saturday felt something like a rock under the rear tire after that nothing smooth ride all the way up to 80+. I get near my friends house slow down to around 40 and I start feeling thump like a flat. I pull up to my friends hous get off look at the tire give it a kick and it's solid so I figure I lost a wheel weight. We head out tearing up the road on to the highway running up 90+ and back down then out onto Route 1 in MA and stop for a Lobster roll and some seafood chowder. Finish eating and then head back to the bike and we were standing there talking and I happened to look down at my back tire.... Now has anyone else run into one like this. The tire pressuse has been kept at 40 psi and the tire has around 9,000 miles on it.

Have used Metzelers for years, but no more.

Returning from a trip last month, doing a 600 mi. day and stopped to get a bite to eat.

Lucky I did because I always inspect my tires when I stop. Had the exact same problem and I mean the EXACT, except my steel wrap was showing. 150 miles from home and Sunday riding I-40 doing 55mph, no where to get help. Made it OK. The next week went to get new tires. Could only find Dunlop 404's but will be putting E3's on soon. Since I always look at my tires, I know they had 1/4 inch of thread above the wear indicators when I started the trip of 1500 mi.

This is the first time I've had this problem with a metzeler, and it will be my last.

I was out riding to a friends house last Saturday felt something like a rock under the rear tire after that nothing smooth ride all the way up to 80+. I get near my friends house slow down to around 40 and I start feeling thump like a flat. I pull up to my friends hous get off look at the tire give it a kick and it's solid so I figure I lost a wheel weight. We head out tearing up the road on to the highway running up 90+ and back down then out onto Route 1 in MA and stop for a Lobster roll and some seafood chowder. Finish eating and then head back to the bike and we were standing there talking and I happened to look down at my back tire.... Now has anyone else run into one like this. The tire pressuse has been kept at 40 psi and the tire has around 9,000 miles on it.

Wonderful pictures. What you have is the classic problem that seems to happen to a lot of Metzeler junk on these bikes, but no other brand of tires. And when you complain to the company, they will immediately tell you the problem never happens and you are an incompetent fool that destroyed your own tire through total ignorance.

More importantly, this is a wonderful example of why so many of us here stridently yell about how dangerous Metzeler 880 tires are on this bike and will never own any Metzeler tire again. Ever. And we wonder why there are others that continue to say it is no big deal, just because it has not happened to them yet!

Goose

It happened to me twice, the first tire, I too was on a road trip, and needed to replace it after 12,000. miles, but the shop I stopped at only Had the Metlzers, so I had to get another one, the second tire only lasted about 6500 miles, my chunk was from the right side of the tread. & we, (2 up) pulling our trailer, rode it home 120 miles, in the pouring rain. Now there where the 170's Rear,

I moved up to a 180 on the rear and it is steel belted. this tire has about 8,000 on it now, I put 48 LBS in it ( 50 is max LBS)

Because of the posts on here I watched mine real close. I already had it on before I joined. When it started to fail I caught it early. After a fight with them and threatening to post it all over the internet I got a new one. It started to fail even quicker. At that point I wouldn't have taken another one if they paid me. I have run Metzeler Tourances on my DR but it weighs about 1/3 what the Venture weighs. The second one was made in Germany. I didn't check to see what the first one was.

Boy you have me scared I have only had my venture for four years but have had only had metzeler tires on it. I am on my third set and get between 13000 and 14000 mile but i run them until almost no tread left on the front and then change them both. Most of my riding is on sencondary roads in Arkansas. Sorry for the spelling

guess if you run them until the trea is almost gone there won't be any chuncks to come off....

Boy you have me scared I have only had my venture for four years but have had only had metzeler tires on it. I am on my third set and get between 13000 and 14000 mile but i run them until almost no tread left on the front and then change them both. Most of my riding is on sencondary roads in Arkansas. Sorry for the spelling

The recommended air pressure for the Metzler 880 rear is 50 lbs.

Actually, recommended pressure used to be 48 lbs. I ran 48 and lost rubber on two different sets.

Are you going to contact Metzeler about this, I for one would love to hear what they will have to say..

Metzeler will try and put the blame on you for "abusing" the tire. In no way will they accept responsibility for this. They already told me so when it happened to me and I tried to report it to them. Admitting fault would involve a major recall on their part and loss of much money. Easier to blame the rider.

Look at the branding on the tire and see where it is manufactured in. Would be either Brasil or Germany.

Doesnt matter where it was made. One set of mine was from Brazil and another from Germany. Both lost rubber

I ran this tire until there was no tread and had no problem but I always kept 50 psi as recomended on the tire in it. Do you think that the lower pressures may be overheating them to the point of separation???

Tires should not seperate like that. Maybe at a really low pressure but not something so close to the recommended specs. Every product should have a safety margin built in. Metzeler dont seem to follow that thinking.

All those who continue to run this piece of crap tire please keep an eye out for any signs of splitting/delamination. A poor tire is a poor tire....no masking the facts. This has been going on for at least 5 years that in aware of.

Sorry guys,

But I have been running ME880s (and ME88s on my 5 1st gens) for over 9 years now and I have never had an issue with loosing rubber and I also pull a trailer at high speeds. Now I do run 5lbs more than required in the rear, where it's my humble opinion that only heat from an underinflated and over weighted rear tire will cause tire to separate. In fact on my recent 5,500 mile trip to Northern California (and back) I had a flat going into the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, plugged it and rode it another 1,200 miles home. In fact I plan on taking it off and putting a plug/patch in it to make another ride to Arkansas for the year.

But, if you have been keeping up with this issue, I don't think there is a touring tire on the market (with the exception of the 2 ply radials) that hasn't had an issue with ply separation.....Avon Venoms included. I was however able to run one Venom rear before my wife discovered it and asked me to remove it. She just didn't like the way it felt with her sitting over the top of it. But fortunately it was ready to be replaced anyway, where it certainly didn't get any better mileage than my ME880s.

In all my years of riding Ventures, Dunlop has always been the most solid tire on the market.....where if you ever had a doubt about a tire, you could always feel safe putting on a Dunlop. And Yamaha has always built a Venture to run on a Dunlop or Brigestone. They were never the best tire, but a safe tire.

Flame suit on,

Rick

No flaming, Rick. Just consider yourself one of the lucky ones. 2 times was enough for me. And I always maintained my air pressure properly. Its too bad because the Metz is a great handling tire. I just want my rubber to stay on the tire. Thats not asking too much.

This shoddy company has been getting away with dumping these dangerous tires on us for WAY too long. PLEASE report this event to the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation. The process is quite simple - here is the link:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

They won't do anything for just one or two reports, but if everyone who gets screwed from Metzeler reports it, it won't be long before something is done. These cases are just too obvious. Thanx!

Goose

I lesson to the pros on this site when it comes to tire pressure. I don't know anyone the puts MAX air in the tires, as spec'd. except for the 180 I have on the back, I run 48 LBS.

as a question? you'll get the right answers. and if your under warranty, you can tell the shop to STICK IT !!!!