IGNORED

Bike or Trike

Look up B2Dad--and talk with him. He loves his trike.

Me too: :happy34: both of them I just finished Bid Bird in the sig......

Why wait for the warranty to get up,,,:confused24:

I have a build post in the Trike board section while I was putting it together if ya want to see some of what is involved.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50351

I have an '09 and my dealer still honors the warranty of whatever is stil original. Compared to the top heavy beast it used to be, triking is probably the best thing to do to it!

Don't just trike for the sake of triking, trike because there is a physical need to do so. My vote is for the Hannigan over the triwing kit, although it costs more...

I've had my 04 triked since 08 and I would not go back to a 2 wheel. I have a Hannigan on mine. After about a month of having it triked you'll really enjoy it. It takes about that long to get use to it. The size, the way it turns, and finding the best parking lot. Little things like that.

Ken

Edited by 1 - UP
left word out.

I have an '09 and my dealer still honors the warranty of whatever is stil original. Compared to the top heavy beast it used to be, triking is probably the best thing to do to it!

Don't just trike for the sake of triking, trike because there is a physical need to do so. My vote is for the Hannigan over the triwing kit, although it costs more...

Do they put some sort of reverse kit in it or do you still have to push it backwards ?

Some great feedback, Thanks., Saddlebum has a great point, What about reverse??:yikes:

There is a Reverse kit made but not by or through Hannigan, that is a little pricey, but works well. The option that Hannigan does have now is the extra gas tank. By all means get that and the rake for the front. I haven't really NEEDED a reverse on the RSV except to get it off the lift when I put it on there. It pushes easily. I rarely use the reverse on the Goldwing too,,,,,:confused24:

I agree with what the guys here have said so far. As far as I know Hannigan and Tri-Wing are the two companies doing trike conversions for the Ventures.

The differences are:

Hannigan is dealer installed deal only. It has independant suspension, a bit more storage space, and now offers an auxilary gas tank.

Tri-Wing can be installed be either the owner or have a dealer do the job. It has a solid Ford axle, and more traditonal body styling. No auxilary fuel tank that I know of but I built my own. You can save yourself a lot of money doing the work yourself if you're a capable wrencher.

As said neither have reverse but you'll learn quite quickly where and how to park. And whichever conversion one decides to use by all means rake the front trees.

Larry

If you are thinking of a trike conversion, Hannigan is my favorite. Mostly due to the independent suspension. I don't need reverse. As Carbon One stated, you learn where to park. They roll really easy so mostly it's not a problem anyway. AND if you have to push it, it still rolls pretty easily. OR bring the wife / better half. They are good for a push, lol.

I have had mine triked for over a year now and will never regret my decision. I absolutely love it. AND it looks great. It's a great conversation starter and wherever I stop, almost always someone comes over and talks to me about it.

Snarley Bill and Colesgrandpaw rode mine this weekend around the parking lot at Meramec. I think they liked it.

The BAD thing I will tell you about a trike conversion is that you will lose gas mileage. I lost about 10-15% on mine. Not sure what the others lost. I do ride hard.

I still recommend it tho.

Don

I had 2 GoldWing trikes, both had reverse and I seldom used it. Both of them were very easy to push backwards.

I agree - the reverse on the Goldwing is SLOW and it rolls so easily. I have only used reverse a couple of times. I could get along without reverse but it is nice to have just in case!

Thanks guys for the great feedback. All your inputs help alot, Talked to a Hannigans Dealer today and plan on getting things moving over the winter probably.

Again Thanks for the input.

I suggest getting that auxilary fuel tank as well. Yea I know it's pricey but you'll be glad to have it when out riding. Especialy on trips of any distance where fuels stops may be questionable. You can stop when YOU want to stop and not when the bike dictates it.

You'll be another happy triker once you get set up and rolling. :thumbsup2:

Larry

• 10 months later...

I've had the Trike ( Hannigan) 3 weeks now, Just finished a 4 day 1500 mile trip through New England States. Both of us love it, Auxilary gas tank was a great idea. NOW how do I get it in the air to change oil and general maintenance.:confused24:

NOW how do I get it in the air to change oil and general maintenance.:confused24:

My Tri-Wing sits about as high as the two wheeled bikes do so I'm able to use a modified lift adapter I sell for the two wheelers here. Then use my Sears atv/mc jack to get it up in the air.

The Hannigan is a whole other story thou due to them being so low to the ground. You'll have to use a small floor jack to raise up each wheel, placing a safety stand under that point of the bike to get it up where you can service the bike.

Another option would be something like a scissor or mid -rise lift or a two post type of lift used for cars. You might still need to adapt whatever you buy to accommodate a trike.

I'm going to seriously look at various types of lifts that I'll be able to us with both my trike and cars. Most of what I've seen in this caterorgy runs anywhere from $1300 to $3000. Something that will get the vechicals high enough to be able to sit on the ground under them to access the under carriage. Gotta free up some funds 1st thou.:confused24:

Larry

Here's something that might be good for just the trike: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-Lift-2-200-lb-Single-Column-Turf-Lift-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23120890e0QQitemZ150626406624QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Or this might be even better -- http://www.kwiklift.com/

Edited by Carbon_One

I put "car ramps" in front of the back tires and drive it up on that...then I take a floor jack and raise the front. VOILA! That raises it enough to work on it. I can change the oil, clean / wax it. It doesn't raise it alot..but enough.

Until Larry (Carbon One) makes a lift adapter...OR you want to spend megabucks...this is what I do.

Don

PS. Glad you got the Hannigan and hope you are really enjoying it.