IGNORED

2 bikers bunch more hurt.down in 6 hours here...........

VTirelli

when it rains it pours, 4 bikers killed on Long Island last weekend......bunch more hurt.........

get to work this morning and find we had 2 bike accidents this morning, one looks like the guy hit a deer, one of our officers found him on the side of the road (under the bike)..no idea how long he'd been there, no deer found but they found hair on the front of the bike. Local guy, I kinda knew him, did the tile work in his kitchen a few years ago.

Other one hit a deer about 6 this AM, not hurt too bad but the bike is messed up. Another local, don't know if I know him or not yet, didn't get his name.

These darn deer are getting tough man...............

from all the talk I've heard on here about deer, seems to me you all need your deer hunting season opened up. Danged deer around here are scarce at the best of times...hunting season opens up (which is very limited) and *POOF* ... they go hide! LOL Have to admit tho, some areas have more deer than others.

Would be nice to find out if they had deer horns on their bikes..

Been many a disscussion on this site about them in that YES they do work and.....NO they dont..

But then again, they could have run into been deaf deer... or...

just plain suicidal deer..:rotf:

Deer are a huge problem in Wisconsin also. Dept of Natural Resources estimates that deer herd is 25 times greater than during the Civil War. (now there is an oxymoron)

I worry about it all of the time when rideing. Try to stay on roads with wide shoulders and plenty of lateral visibility. I think WI has the highest density of deer per square mile of any state in the union. Becareful.

They guy who wrote the column "Staying Safe", Larry Grotski, I think, was killed by a deer in Texas.

With all the construction of new homes and office parks the last few years, it has taken away many natural areas for animals to survive in. I hate to see anyone get hurt and im sure not a tree hugger but it stands to reason that if you cut down a wooded area for development then the animals have to go somewhere.

Here in MN the hunting seasons are opened up and the limit was increased in high heard population zones to 6 deer total per person per season. The extra deer tags only cost a few dollars. The problem is we don't have extra hunters. I hunted two seasons out of the past three and I'm not hunting this year.

I truly think there are fewer hunters due to the anti-gun crowd and the anti-hunting crowd. They've been polluting kids with their crap and fewer and fewer are taking up hunting.

Also a huge problem here in south east PA. Trouble is your not allowed to hunt around populated areas an thats where the deer are. If you go around Valley Forge Park there are hundreds (NO Hunting). This time of year it's more luck than skill that you don't hit one.

The problem with deer is they are like people in that they can adapt to their surroundings. If you move next to a railroad or airport eventually you don't notice the noise. Deer whistles worked great when they came out but now with so many vehicles with them deer have gotten use to them and pay no attention to the sound. Indiana also has seen a boom in deer population. IMHO the biggest problem here is lack of hunting ground, because hunters have abused what properties they were allowed to hunt on, it's hard to find farmers that will let you hunt.

They guy who wrote the column "Staying Safe", Larry Grotski, I think, was killed by a deer in Texas.

so.......was the deer armed with a shotgun, or did he charge at larry grosslooking and killed him using the antlers as a weapon? :confused24:

maybe us riders should be riding at reasonable speeds so that if we see something in our way, we are able to stop. and if that isnt possible, then we shouldnt be riding at nights. then we would have no reason to blame the deers for the accidents WE cause. and yes...i hug trees....so what?:bighug:

With all the construction of new homes and office parks the last few years, it has taken away many natural areas for animals to survive in. I hate to see anyone get hurt and im sure not a tree hugger but it stands to reason that if you cut down a wooded area for development then the animals have to go somewhere.

right on....ruffrider! :thumbsup2:

so.......was the deer armed with a shotgun, or did he charge at larry grosslooking and killed him using the antlers as a weapon? :confused24:

maybe us riders should be riding at reasonable speeds so that if we see something in our way, we are able to stop. and if that isnt possible, then we shouldnt be riding at nights. then we would have no reason to blame the deers for the accidents WE cause. and yes...i hug trees....so what?:bighug:

I wouldnt laugh at that. I know a guy that was charged on his bike by a Buck. He had his lady on the back and the antlers got stuck in the engine case. Broke the deers neck. Bike stayed up but he broke his leg. Freaky!!

There is a reason that we have deer population problems. No predators, habitat encroachment and abundant food. You cannot know which way a deer will jump when frightened. Ride safe, don't over ride your headlights and watch the sides of the roads. Rod

chabicheka,

I'd be interested to hear your opinion after you catch a deer over the handle bars. Perhaps you'd give the deer your place in the ambulance since you caused the accident by using the road.

Also if you were being serious in your comments about the people being injured or killed in these mishaps I can only say, What an a**.

chabicheka,

I'd be interested to hear your opinion after you catch a deer over the handle bars. Perhaps you'd give the deer your place in the ambulance since you caused the accident by using the road.

Also if you were being serious in your comments about the people being injured or killed in these mishaps I can only say, What an a**.

animals are creatures created by god....same as humans and i feel for both. and accidents are a way of life and there's nothing you can do about it. they have been happening for ages and will continue to happen. calling me an ass is not going to solve the situation. by the way, it takes one to know one....or however the saying goes. so you being maybe a smarter ass than me...didnt exactly come up with a solution....what do you say...we wipe out the deer population? and what do we do when YOU hit a pedestrian? wipe out the population that dont ride bikes? you have a nice day. cause i dont easily get bothered by ...........you may fill in the blanks anyway you like, tough guy.

"maybe us riders should be riding at reasonable speeds so that if we see something in our way, we are able to stop. and if that isnt possible, then we shouldnt be riding at nights."

the deer I hit on the bike..........3 PM, bright sunny day. It was on a full run. Never saw it until it broke the tall grass on the side of the road. No shoulders. I wouldn't have been on the road because of that it had not been for a detour I was in. By the way the tall grass is a problem here in MN. South of US 10, state statute prohibits the mowing of the ditches until August to protect nesting and brooding critters.

I've worked straight nights most of my carrer. Most years between work, cage and bike about 50K in miles. Every one of the deer (by the way 8 months since the last one, knock on wood!) I've hit were on a full run. When it comes to deer, brake and aim straight. Do not swerve. Fewer fatalities that way. Did have a friend though, worked as a National Forest Ranger, drove a full size dodge P/U for work. 7 o'clock in the AM, a car going the opposite way struck a deer, catapaulting (sp) the deer towards him. The deer went through the windhield and struck him. He died right there.

Yeah we can take 6 deer each here in MN , but that won't touch the numbers. I bet I see 500 to 600 deer a night feeding in the ditches. I should keep count one night. In the City they've now made it unlawful to feed the deer. Some homeowners have fancy automatic feeders to keep the deer coming in all night. On a cold winters night, some say it is nothing to have 50 deer in the backyard, all fighting for a mouthful of corn.

They remind of rats and no matter how much you exterminate them, they keep coming back!

Venison anyone?

Ol' Erns