IGNORED

2011 venture?

bj66

Guest scarylarry
It kills me when someone says they are going to buy an Ultra Glide if Yamaha doesn't change the Venture. Guess what the Ultra, with the exception of a little bigger engine, is the same as it was 30 years ago. I used to ride a Roadking and almost every part fit for 30 years. The sucess of the Harley has depended on no change, why do you think they still shake your eyeballs out of there sockets at a red light, because if they balanced them no one would buy them.

Wait a second, they did slow down the oil leaks....Yaaaaaaaaaa

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha is one of my clients. Some of my others in this industry are Suzuki, Polaris (Victory), BRP, Kawasaki and Arctic Cat. I can tell you that my senior level contacts at Yamaha assure me that there will only be a 2011 RSV if their Japanese planners at the factory feel they have reduced their existing inventory levels sufficiently to warrant the cost of ramping up production of the model. They've done a pretty good job of reducing overall inventory levels so far this year, but I'd give it another 90 days at least before that decision is made and anything is announced. The only member of the "big 4" that turned a profit last fiscal year was Suzuki, and that was despite a 45% drop in overall sales and employing very strict austerity measures. Yamaha had a bad year on the bottom line, as did Kawi and Honda, and that drives all decisions, not what customers want. So don't hold your breath for a 2011 RSV. If there are a lot of "new", unsold '09 and '10 units out there, it may not happen.

Since im working on retiring within the next 3 years I may never be able to afford a new bike, much less a revamped RSV. Not that I cant handle the payments but I choose to get myself debt free within 1-2 years. So it looks like my trusty 99 will have to last a little while longer. I truly dont see Yamaha coming up with anything new for the RSV until the economy picks up.

However, if I did have the extra cash the new 2011 HD Road Glide Ultra caught my eye. I always liked the RG fixed fairing and now its a full Ultra model. 24k is still a lot of wood though. Im not a big HD fan but the bike looks sweet. Either that or a Triumph Rocket 3. :smile5:

Guest scarylarry

Maybe where I live but I have yet to see a 2010 2 dealerships close by and one is semi large but doesn't have a 2010 on the floor, wings and Kaw yes but not one 2010 RSV...

Since im working on retiring within the next 3 years I may never be able to afford a new bike, much less a revamped RSV. Not that I cant handle the payments but I choose to get myself debt free within 1-2 years. So it looks like my trusty 99 will have to last a little while longer. I truly dont see Yamaha coming up with anything new for the RSV until the economy picks up.

However, if I did have the extra cash the new 2011 HD Road Glide Ultra caught my eye. I always liked the RG fixed fairing and now its a full Ultra model. 24k is still a lot of wood though. Im not a big HD fan but the bike looks sweet. Either that or a Triumph Rocket 3. :smile5:

Ruffy you hit the nail on the head. At Sturgis i saw a rocket III sitting on the street, cool. And the other bike I kept seeing that made me stop was the road glide. especially the ultra. Since the closest triumph dealer to me that i am aware of is omaha neb. I think I know which way i am leaning. I try not to buy into all the HD hype but that road glide is a nice looking machine. I might have to investigate this winter. If I do id have a real good 08 rstd to figure out what to do with. But Im not putting the cart before the horse. Gotta think about this for a long time

...senior level contacts at Yamaha assure me that there will only be a 2011 RSV if their Japanese planners at the factory feel they have reduced their existing inventory levels sufficiently to warrant the cost of ramping up production of the model.

Read that to say that if it shows up at all as a 2011, it'll be just like the 2010

"Yamaha had a bad year on the bottom line, as did Kawi and Honda, and that drives all decisions, not what customers want..

And yet, according to the article in one of posts, the "new" Goldwing will have a dual overhead cam 2 liter and a bunch of goodies. Hmmph! Fancy that.

Finally, not to be argumentative, but while the bottom line is what it is, any company that doesn't at least try to accommodate their clientelle, will suffer when that clientelle finally has had enough and take their business to someone who does pay attention and the company wonders how it happened!

Think about it! If they have all this '09 & '10 inventory laying around, it's not JUST because the economy sucks. Somebody (likely more than 1) at Yamacentral screwed the pooch regarding inventory needs and reading their customer base. Yamaha can't possibly be that stupid (or arrogant if not stupid) Frankly, I don't understand their mentality on the model upgrade from even before the economy took a dump. If they're not going to compete or pay attention, then they should say so and get out.

OK I'm done.

the bottom line, drives all decisions, not what customers want. So don't hold your breath for a 2011 RSV.

How sad is that?

But that brings up 2 thoughts...IMHO

1. If they have too much inventory, perhaps it is because the customers are telling them they don't want 1980's technology on a 2010 bike (carbs and cassettes) at 2010 prices
  2. All businesses are in business to make money...to take care of the bottom line. But there is a basic truth of business. "NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL SOMEBODY SELLS SOMETHING". If they don't take into account what the customer wants, they won't sell very much...and won't continue to be in business very long.

Well, at least the guy with yamaha was honest. He's the first one I have heard from that was honest in saying no one will know until yamaha introduces the 2011 line up. As far as inventory, the new models are introduced every september so yamaha won't be waiting another 90 days before they introduce the new models. From what I have heard from many former and current dealers that are honest, yamaha is arrogant. They don't listen to are care what the dealers say and suggest.

As I read this thread it makes me go back to the time I owned a 2001 Voyager 1200 .. Great bike pattern from a early GW Kaw stoped making the voyager for aleast 4 years before the new ones came out ... All the people wanted was to add a curve here and there and up the product a little... The bike was great the way it was.. All I,m saying is be careful what you ask for a better radio a CD player.. There is places that do transfer music to tapes Just got to take the time to check it out... I went from Voyager to Harley Clasic and now Venture and I think it,s a great bike RON:scorched:

I just went on a 4 day ride around Lake Michigan with 5 other guys. All were on Harleys. A top of the line 2008 Ultra (Scremaing Eagle Pkge), a 2010 Street Glide CVO, A Night Train and two Fat Boys. I was on my 2004 RSV. The biggest noticable difference was lack of muscle in the motor, when passing another car. My RSV simply didn't respond a quickly as the Harleys. My RSV felt more like an old cadillac, it has muscle, but takes a while to engage it. Those Harleys twisted the throttle and the response was immediate. I'm praying for Yamaha to upgrade the motor, use Fuel injection, and upgrade the electronics (i.e. get rid of the cassette player). So much of the RSV is wonderful, that imho, the changes needed to make the RSV competetive with the Ultra or GW are within their grasp. It's really a shame.

I just went on a 4 day ride around Lake Michigan with 5 other guys. All were on Harleys. A top of the line 2008 Ultra (Scremaing Eagle Pkge), a 2010 Street Glide CVO, A Night Train and two Fat Boys. I was on my 2004 RSV. The biggest noticable difference was lack of muscle in the motor, when passing another car. My RSV simply didn't respond a quickly as the Harleys. My RSV felt more like an old cadillac, it has muscle, but takes a while to engage it. Those Harleys twisted the throttle and the response was immediate. I'm praying for Yamaha to upgrade the motor, use Fuel injection, and upgrade the electronics (i.e. get rid of the cassette player). So much of the RSV is wonderful, that imho, the changes needed to make the RSV competetive with the Ultra or GW are within their grasp. It's really a shame.

Me thinks yer riding yer RSV like it was a Harley. Maybe yer lugging the engine, otherwise they shouldn't have anything on ya!!! Just my :2cents: worth!! IMHO

The biggest noticable difference was lack of muscle in the motor, when passing another car. My RSV simply didn't respond a quickly as the Harleys. My RSV felt more like an old cadillac,

That's what I never had with my bike .. most of the people of my riding group, can't keep up with my Venture :innocent:

Me thinks yer riding yer RSV like it was a Harley. Maybe yer lugging the engine, otherwise they shouldn't have anything on ya!!! Just my :2cents: worth!! IMHO

Well, for example, we're traveling at 80 mph, and come up to a couple of cars. The Harleys twisted the throttle and were GONE. My RSV did get up to speed, but just not as fast. We were in a pretty tight formation so we communicate well when we're going to pass. I could see them twist and go. I would twist, wait, and gradually excellerate.

Well, for example, we're traveling at 80 mph, and come up to a couple of cars. The Harleys twisted the throttle and were GONE. My RSV did get up to speed, but just not as fast. We were in a pretty tight formation so we communicate well when we're going to pass. I could see them twist and go. I would twist, wait, and gradually excellerate.

At 80mph in 5th gear on your RSV, you're only churning about 3700 rpm on an engine that will run up to 6000 rpm. Drop her into 4th and run her up to as fast as she'll go.

4th is still an overdrive.

ok, i will throw my hat into the ring........

i purchased a first generation venture many a moons ago, and rhode the old girl with great pride for a gazillion miles or so, and mounted ever bit-o-chrome that could be had, along with every light and gizmoe. and looked at many other brands and styles of bikes over the years, but....the venture never changed..... then they stoped making it all together!! well nuts!! i really loved that v4 power that took me back to my v-max days of luggage free speed and carefree times.....now what??? i shouda purchased that last year of the first gen.. i sez to myself!

then the v4 returns to me in a 96 royalstar td and i kept that untill the 2nd gen came along and have had a couple of them......as i have now, my 2nd 2003 rsv i found new in the box in december of 05 after the first 03 was crashed.

I am one that enjoys things that don't change, as long as it works well, and the rsv does that for me, and for those of you that are still making payments on your bike,-- you should be happy that there has not been a 3rd gen available yet... why?? the 2nd gen is holding a hellofa good resale for a metric machine, and as soon as the 3rd gen comes out.. the bottom will drop out of the value in your 2nd gen, just like it did for the first gens in 1999! remember?? i sure do!

If it's all about the cassette deck, quitcher*****n and put the gauge kit in, heck they offer a cd disc changer for another thousand bucks, and it didn't shut anyone up..

My rsv works very well for me, and i have not met any new or old harleys that could run away from me when i pick the rite gear. there are cassets in my saddlebag along with my ipod and extra sd cards of music for my cell phone player.

i'm not looking for a new bike yet, so i'm fine with the value of my bike staying as high as it is and the parts being interchangable with the 2010 models

whatever your riding... i think it looks good on ya.. enjoy it.

mike

My prediction for the 2011 Venture...

A Stratoliner Deluxe with a trunk.......

I've been saying this for a long time. I am in full agreement with you....that's why they put a fairing on the Strat for '10...getting us used to seeing them before they install the trunk and call it a Venture.

I don't even use 5th gear until 70mph.... passing a car 80mph in 5th gear will take some time.. drop a gear and let the motor do its job you will pass those HD !!!

Did a Poker run today and we were first out and first back in, 175 miles total in 107F temp and none of the HD in the group could keep up with Peg & I

we were at least 12 minutes ahead of the pack I did most of it in 4th gear not once did I ever have any trouble passing a car or truck on a hill or flat land!!!. The heat almost did Peg in but the Venture cruised along with no problems what so ever

but some of the HD riders had to cool their bikes off they were getting to hot for them so they say:rasberry:

few of HD riders were looking over the Venture motor after the poker run they said They heard of the bullet proof motor but never seen one until today

So I asked them how they liked my tail lights:crackup:

P.S. all the riders were on HD except us, we were the out cast today who kicked some butt Venture style.... :happy34:

treat it like you stole it .... It dint get the name bullet proof for nothing!!!!!!!!!!

It kills me when someone says they are going to buy an Ultra Glide if Yamaha doesn't change the Venture. Guess what the Ultra, with the exception of a little bigger engine, is the same as it was 30 years ago. I used to ride a Roadking and almost every part fit for 30 years. The sucess of the Harley has depended on no change, why do you think they still shake your eyeballs out of there sockets at a red light, because if they balanced them no one would buy them.

No it is not! Newer models have had fuel injection since the late 90's. Other updates include a cd with 40 watt per speaker at that, six speed transmissions, wide tires, ABS, better plastics, different frames, larger motors, a cylinder c/o system to reduce idling heat, better paint schemes than any other manufacturer, etc. Need I go on? The success of HD is based on frequent updates a proven marketing design. And my Ultra doesn't shake eyeballs out at a red light and is just a smooth or smoother than a 2d Edition at any speed. No it is not as fast but it doesn't have any whine at all either. And talk about aftermarket accessories. I am not a great fan of HDs even though I do own one nor am I a fan of any motorcycle company that now relies on the HD styling to sell their bike. Besides the V-8 and inline four have been around a lot longer that the HD VTwin design so what's up with that??!!

I agree the RSV is a solid design. Only in need of a few upgrades to make it a current competitor. Perhaps FI and a six speed. A modern radio and gps wouldn't hurt either. But alas I believe Yamaha is telegraphing their intention through their accessory offerings. Few of the accessories available a year ago are still listed on their web page. The only reason I can think of to so thoroughly deplete the accessory line up is if you are going to do away with the primary vehicle.

Mike

And my Ultra doesn't shake eyeballs out at a red light and is just a smooth or smoother than a 2d Edition at any speed.

who are you kidding???:shock3::confused07::starz::scratchchin:

next time ya see a 2nd gen........ya might want to ride it ??

i like you and your harley just fine, but me thinks there might be a screw loose from all that shaking???

take a look in the mirror at the stoplight:stickinouttounge:

but most of all, thank you for serving:thumbsup2:....i don't care what ya ride.

mike

And my Ultra doesn't shake eyeballs out at a red light and is just a smooth or smoother than a 2d Edition at any speed.

who are you kidding???:shock3::confused07::starz::scratchchin:

next time ya see a 2nd gen........ya might want to ride it ??

i like you and your harley just fine, but me thinks there might be a screw loose from all that shaking???

take a look in the mirror at the stoplight:stickinouttounge:

but most of all, thank you for serving:thumbsup2:....i don't care what ya ride.

mike

It's not as bad as it looks. But, even with the shaking at idle, who goes anywhere "at idle". Silly arguement to me. I ride my Harley when I want to go in style and my lst Edition when I have to be there quickly. Everyone should own both. I, however, have an American Standard mount on only one of em.

My dealer told me the 2011 Yamahas, opps I mean Stars, will be released on the internet on 9/1. I sold my 2007 Venture and am now riding my 2008 Stratoliner and waiting for something to happen. If anybody is looking for a new Venture, the Tomahawk, WI dealer had a new 2009 S model for $14,700 plus tax. Quite a deal.