IGNORED

Would you haul your RSV on this trailer?

Yamaman

I'm leaving this week on a trip from Texas to Iowa. About 2000 miles round trip. A friend said I could borrow his trailer but after picking it up this weekend I'm having second thoughts. It's a 4x8 utility trailer with a 2x6 lumber floor and 1500 lb capacity. We got the bike up on it (barely) by putting it on diagonally, but it's a real tight fit. The thing that has me spooked is the wheels. Only 4.8x12 tires, although the wheels do have a 5 bolt pattern. I'm just not sure a trailer like this was intended for such a long trip. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and paying $300 to rent the 5x9 utility trailer that Uhaul rents. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I used one like that the day I bought my bike. It had a drop down ramp. I loaded mine straight on and tied the ramp at an angle so that it wouldn't hit the trunk. Worked ok for mine. You're well below the rated weight so I would say that if the bearings are good, I would think you'd be ok.

before i got my truck....i hauled my electra glide on a harbor freight 4x8 trailer with 2 4x8 sheets of 1/4 pressure treated plywood as a base....tires were the standard 12 in. tire that comes with the trailer.....i did this from pa to the rockies for 4 years... i had no problems....but the venture is bigger...

Guest tx2sturgis

It's not a good idea to haul the bike diagonally. It puts shock and pressure on all the tie points on EVERY bump. Things like shocks, forks, steering head bearings, frame bolts, wheels, and all the other hardware will be taking a beating, for 30 to 40 HOURS. (2000 miles) If you haul it that way, stop OFTEN and check the tie-downs, and whatever you hook the tie-downs to.

Make sure you use 6 tie-downs and preferably 8, plus a wheel-chock on the front and rear tires, or at LEAST nail down some 2x4s on each side on the tires.

Edited by tx2sturgis

U-haul has a little motorcycle trailer, but they'll only rent it for local in-town use.

They also have this one. It has a front wheel chock, and lots of tie downs. I rented it for $130, and could keep it for like 4 or 5 days. Very cheap.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/IMG_3796.jpg

U-haul has a little motorcycle trailer, but they'll only rent it for local in-town use.

They also have this one. It has a front wheel chock, and lots of tie downs. I rented it for $130, and could keep it for like 4 or 5 days. Very cheap.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/IMG_3796.jpg

Yeah, this is the one I'm looking at. Website says "newer" models have motorcycle wheel chocks so I guess I will reserve it then call them in the morning to confirm.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have never hauled a bike around to much but I don't think it would bother me to haul the bike on the trailer your friend offered. Would have to make sure the bearings were good and well greased.

BOO

David,

I have a trailer that I specifically built for hauling our touring bikes. I have hauled both 1st and 2nd gens on it. Your more than welcome to use it if you want to, It has 6 11000 lb D rings to secure the bike and a wheel chock up front. It has new tires and it's what I used to bring the '89 down here to Texas from Michigan. It's yours for the using if you want it, give me a call if you want to go this route.

One thing you might check is the load rating of those 12" tires. Even if the axle rating is 1500lbs it still does mean the tires will handle it. Plan on the weight of the RSV to be in the 900lb range. Plus the weight of the trailer and you might be right at the max GVW. I use a trailer very similar to the one in Monte's pics. 6x10. Bought it outright for $750 bucks. Use it more for dump runs than hauling a bike, but it multi-tasks very well.... :mytruck1:

I have a 4x8 much like the one you described. I used it to haul 2 bikes and numerous boxes of stuff (more than 800lbs) from Maryland to Georgia, and have used it for a BMW and/or Triumph numerous times since.

I haven't hauled an RSV/RSTD in it yet though.

If you want to use it, make sure the tires aren't weather cracked and pull the wheels and wash bearings in diesel fuel, blow off with compressed air and repack(with wheel bearing grease). I've had a harbor freight for years and haul a SeaDoo RXP jet ski on it and have never had any problems. The RXP and Venture are about the same weight. Like mentioned above make sure the tires can handle the weight and it would be a plus to have a spare... also, it would be better to have the bike on the trailer straight, as i don't know what placing the weight on the extreeme outer edges will do.

Just remember what you motorcycle is worth.

ask yer sef if it is worth risking on a questionable trailer.

I am sayin not to use it, but just look things over that are mentioned here.

I won't risk my 10 grand scooter for 2oo dollars worth of rental money.

times are hard and 200 bux could be alot, but what if you loose the scooter.

you have the opportunity now to get it right.

this could be the hindsight we talk about after a bad happening. but since it is before the hauling, it is called foresight and planning. If u are near squid, borrow that one.

Uhaul does rent a motorcycle specific trailer. Will your RSV fit on that?

Yeah, I tried to rent the hauler from Uhaul. Local only and if you say the bike weighs more than 740 you're screwed.

I bought a 5x8 from Lowes and tied the ramp up so it wouldn't hit the back of my bike and took it to Utah and back about 4000 miles round trip with no problems except anxiety. :big-grin-emoticon:

Oh that doesn't include my not tightening my hitch ball and almost losing everything in Omaha. :doh:

In addition to size (Length, width and capacity), another important factor is sides. I'm afraid that trailering a bike on a trailer with no sides is just asking for a lot chipped paint and chrome goodies once you get where you're going. Just my two cents. If the trailer doesn't have protective sides, I wouldn't use it. Don't ask me how I know this.

David,

I have a trailer that I specifically built for hauling our touring bikes. I have hauled both 1st and 2nd gens on it. Your more than welcome to use it if you want to, It has 6 11000 lb D rings to secure the bike and a wheel chock up front. It has new tires and it's what I used to bring the '89 down here to Texas from Michigan. It's yours for the using if you want it, give me a call if you want to go this route.

Squid, thanks for the offer and the phone call this morning. You and everyone here at VR just blow me away. What a community - really more like a family!

Thanks again to everyone who posted your thoughts. Yes, my bike is worth more to me than saving a couple hundred bucks and I had already decided to go the Uhaul route until Brad jumped in with his offer. I know my bike will be very safe on his trailer.

But "My" Parts bike is on it!!!...:rotfl:

Squid, thanks for the offer and the phone call this morning. You and everyone here at VR just blow me away. What a community - really more like a family!

Thanks again to everyone who posted your thoughts. Yes, my bike is worth more to me than saving a couple hundred bucks and I had already decided to go the Uhaul route until Brad jumped in with his offer. I know my bike will be very safe on his trailer.

Yeah, I tried to rent the hauler from Uhaul. Local only and if you say the bike weighs more than 740 you're screwed.

I bought a 5x8 from Lowes and tied the ramp up so it wouldn't hit the back of my bike and took it to Utah and back about 4000 miles round trip with no problems except anxiety. :big-grin-emoticon:

Oh that doesn't include my not tightening my hitch ball and almost losing everything in Omaha. :doh:

I'll bet you even used the kill switch didn't ya!!!

Do me a favor Doodle....could you unload "Your" parts bike off the trailer so I can let Dave use it :stickpoke:

Just cut the straps and take off fast, it will be unloaded in no time and it will still be a parts bike,,,,,,,,,or would that make it a pieces bike???:confused24:

Just cut the straps and take off fast, it will be unloaded in no time and it will still be a parts bike,,,,,,,,,or would that make it a pieces bike???:confused24:

Jeff....dont give Doodle any more ideas than he already has

:stickpoke: Besides I really want to get that '99 on the road at some point :whistling: