IGNORED

North to Alaska

Gary N.

Dude!!!!! Those aren't frost-heaves. They build the road that way and then when the frost causes it to heave it's all level. If you want some real frost-heaves you need to drive from Fairbanks to Chena Hotsprings. Those heaves could throw you off your bike.

I think the waterfall you show is called Horse's Tail. There is also Bridal Veil. Both are very pretty. There is also a waterfall you can drive under and wash your bike - but then you wouldn't have a picture for Dave.

I won't be in Anchorage until the 5th. I'm leaving Thursday night for Seward for the weekend. On the 4th Seward hosts the Mount Marathon race - 3200 feet up the mountain and back down. Go to www.adn.com on the 5th for story and gory photos. If you make it to Seward on Fri, Sat, or Sun I'll be a block away from the Sealife Center runnning the Pet ID booth. Stop by and I'll give you the highlights. Warning - Traffic on the 4th is crazy. Don't bother passing anybody because you'll only get there one car faster and watch out for the idiots on the Seward Hwy south of Anchorage (it's a very dangerous road - because of the idiots).

Be Safe

Dan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND, In case you're interested, my STAR group has a scheduled ride to Hope, Ak (70 miles south) on the 4th. More info at www.anchorage299.com. Also, http://www.abateofalaska.com/ is hosting a ride to Homer, Ak on Saturday the 3rd for an overnight campout. The Hoka Hey ride ends in Homer on the 4th and the $500,000 is to be awarded that day. Could be interesting. If you need a motorcycle tent trailer while you're here let me know. I have one sitting in my back yard waiting for an opportunity.

. If you need a motorcycle tent trailer while you're here let me know. I have one sitting in my back yard waiting for an opportunity.

Well thanks for that offer Dan. We have already met the Alaska State bird so we have decided to stay at the Howard Johnsons.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, we've been busy. When we left Valdez we saw a mother grizzly and 3 cubs playing near the bay. Spent the long weekend in Anchorage. Quite the urban village in the vast Alaskan wilderness I must say. A very viberant and busy downtown area. Had a couple of real nice sea food dinners and even tried a reindeer hot dog. Went to the ULU factory even though I had never heard of an ULU. Thanks Condor. On July 4th we road out to Whittier and went through a 2 1/2 mile railroad tunnel. Monday we headed for Fairbanks. Almost ran out of gas heading up the Park Hwy. The RSV took 5.7 gallons when we finally got to a station. We took an all day guided tour up to the arctic circle on Wednesday and Thursday just toured around town on the bike. Found a real nice '39 or '40 GMC cab over engine truck with factory 4WD. I sure wish it wasn't so far away or I'd be trying to buy it. Not a speck of rust or a dent anywhere. We took a ride out on the Chena Hot Springs road and saw 13 moose. Two crossed in front of us within about 100 feet. Yesterday we down to Tok and today we are heading for Chicken and the Top of the World Hwy.

Over 20 hours of day light up here now and it really messes with your head. Between that and the four hour time difference, eating at odd times, sleeping when we're tired and all the sight seeing.....MAN we're having fun.

I warned you about the moose on the Chena road. If you had found me last weekend I could have hooked you up with some free passes to the hotsprings. And how did you like riding between the train tracks for 2+ miles while in the tunnel???? I hope you enjoyed your stay. Did you make it to Talkeetna?

We made it from Tok to Dawson City over the Top of the World Hwy. yesterday. We lucked out. It was dry and real dusty but it rained last night and we just heard the the road got closed today. We were advised to not take it if it was wet.

Almost 100 miles of gravel and the Alaska side from Chicken to the border is real rough. The Yukon side is much smoother and better with some paved sections but mostly gravel. I guess it was a beautiful drive but I was too busy watching the road to notice.

Spent today doing touristy stuff in Dawson City.

I am having a hard time down loading pictures here so I'll have to try again.

hi gary & mary

great pictures, thanks for shareing them. my stepdad drove a drill pipe truck up that way back in the early to mid 50's. i still remember some of the adventures he had up there. ya'll be safe, will be looking forward to the updates.

reguards

don c.

Hi Gary and Mary,

I am enjoying keeping up with your adventure. I love the photos.

Alaska is a place on my "Bucket List". That really was a neat old GMC cab you found. I bet you would like to have that.

Take care, Be safe and keep sending photos!

Yama Mama:hurts:

Good ride today 300 miles down the Klondike Hwy. to Whitehorse. Good road except for a few sections under construction. The last construction zone was the worse due to the water truck just making a pass ahead of us. Avon tires suck in mud. I kept it upright but just barely.

Swifty, you would be real happy to see my bike right now. I got to find a car wash first thing in the morning.

Swifty, you would be real happy to see my bike right now. I got to find a car wash first thing in the morning.

YOU have been around long enough to know WHERE's the pictures

Enjoy and see you when you get home

Brad

Glad you guys are having a great time, did you manage to get any prospecting done? Get the frying pan out and get some swishing done on the banks of a river, you never know what you may dig up.:mo money:

Ride safe

Ian & Pat

Still in Whitehorse. Yesterday we took a bus/train ride to Skagway on the White Pass and Yukon Railroad. This is a narrow gauge RR built in 1900 to help get the gold miners over the mountains and into the Klondike. It was also used during the war to help supply the building of the Alcan hwy.

Well, we made it back to the Space Shuttle parked in Edmonton. What an adventure we have had. The last couple of days we saw lots of wildlife between Watson Lake and Fort Nelson. Lots of beautiful country too. We'll stay here a couple of days in order to visit some relatives and catch our breath before we start heading home. We may meet some friends at Sturgis on the way. The bike looks like crap but I'll fix that. The headlight cover I installed did it's job. I noticed a crack in it, right in the centre. I know exactly when it happened too. Over 4500 miles and so many memories I can't count them.

Edited by Gary N.

Gary, congratulations. You did it. You rode up to Alaska and around. You and Mary must have made some incredible memories together. Im sure some, fun, beautiful and scarey memories, but that is what life is for.

Welcome back to your Shuttle. Have an enjoyable visit and safe drive home.

Well our trip has come to a screaching hault. We're at Mary's brother's place in Red Deer Alberta or at least I am. Mary became very ill a week ago when we got here and Thursday I took her to emergency and she was admitted. Found out today that she has a severe bowel infection. Doc figures it was probably something she ate. She's on IV fluids and drugs and will have to stay there until the infection gets cured which might be up to a week. She was starting to feel a little better this afternoon.

She never had a chance to visit her brother so we'll probably hang around for a few days once she gets out. I want to be sure she will be up to the trip home.

... Mary became very ill a week ago when we got here and Thursday I took her to emergency and she was admitted. Found out today that she has a severe bowel infection. ...

Hmmm. Sounds vaguely familiar. :confused24:

Get well Mary! No more moose burgers for you.

We're sure she's in good hands, but we'll keep you guys in our thoughts, none the less.