IGNORED

Helmet itch dilema...make that emergency

slick97spirit

I need some help here. I just bought new matching helmets for the wife and I. Don't remember the brand right now. We used to wear those little beanies when we rode the "slick97spirit" (honda shadow, hence the screen name) . Anyhoo, the wife has always complained alot about helmet itch. With the new and safer 3/4 helmets she is really complaining to the point of wanting me to trailer on our trip to Myrtle Beach this summer. Says she is not sure she'll be able to take it that long.

Surely there is something that can be done. I've tried everything I can think of. I've bought several different types of doo rags, both cotton and polyesther and nothing seems to help.

I know someone on here has dealt with this at some time in the past and found the cure.

I guess I can just tie her on, turn the intercom down to 0, and take off.........

I've not tried this with a helmet so I'm not sure it will work but I have a cornstarch based dry shampoo I ordered to brush in the hair to control oil and scalp itch, if you wish to try it I can give you the info on where to get it if you want. I have it in a huge salt shaker and shake a good amount into the hair brush and run it through my hair a few times and repeat 2-3 times. She might want to try that.

I need some help here. I just bought new matching helmets for the wife and I. Don't remember the brand right now. We used to wear those little beanies when we rode the "slick97spirit" (honda shadow, hence the screen name) . Anyhoo, the wife has always complained alot about helmet itch. With the new and safer 3/4 helmets she is really complaining to the point of wanting me to trailer on our trip to Myrtle Beach this summer. Says she is not sure she'll be able to take it that long.

Surely there is something that can be done. I've tried everything I can think of. I've bought several different types of doo rags, both cotton and polyesther and nothing seems to help.

I know someone on here has dealt with this at some time in the past and found the cure.

I guess I can just tie her on, turn the intercom down to 0, and take off.........

So why are you asking us???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The Do rags do it for me but I have to watch these when I'm riding. The knot in the way I tie them can press right on the back of my head and give me a unbelievable headache.

Don't let her read this one:whistling::rotfl:

If it's as bad as you state...for both of you, I gotta think there's more going on than the helmet. Sorisis, or even head lice maybe?? I know it sounds yucky, but it's a possibility. I'd see a Doc on this one. You might have criters in the helmets, or even a shared scalp condition.

Would be a little more helpful if we knew exactly what helmet she's wearing. Might just not be vented well enough for her. 3/4 and full face need more venting then the beanie's you were wearing. Of course saying she's always had the itch to some extent might be a problem with her scalp like psoriasis.

Margaret

I've not tried this with a helmet so I'm not sure it will work but I have a cornstarch based dry shampoo I ordered to brush in the hair to control oil and scalp itch, if you wish to try it I can give you the info on where to get it if you want. I have it in a huge salt shaker and shake a good amount into the hair brush and run it through my hair a few times and repeat 2-3 times. She might want to try that.

I'd like to try anything right now, so if you could pm me with details I would appreciate it

So why are you asking us???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Cause just cause I say it on here doesn't mean I have the sand in my pants to do it!!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

do a search for "silks" they have been around for over 20 years and are made just for the problem your having.

I'll definitely see if I can find these. Thanks

If it's as bad as you state...for both of you, I gotta think there's more going on than the helmet. Sorisis, or even head lice maybe?? I know it sounds yucky, but it's a possibility. I'd see a Doc on this one. You might have criters in the helmets, or even a shared scalp condition.

Sure hope not considering she's a hairdresser by trade. That'd be kinda bad for business. Oh and I have no problem whatsoever with my head itching wearing the exact same helmet.

Would be a little more helpful if we knew exactly what helmet she's wearing. Might just not be vented well enough for her. 3/4 and full face need more venting then the beanie's you were wearing. Of course saying she's always had the itch to some extent might be a problem with her scalp like psoriasis.

Mini, I can't remember the name of the helmet, but it's not one of the expensive brandy ones. They are nice though. I've never had a helmet in all my years of riding that actually lived up to their claims of ventilation anyway. But at this point if I thought it would help, I'd try it.

I appreciate all the input and look forward to hearing any other suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,

:fatsmiley:

i sufferd from this at one time. i switched to selsun blue shampoo.

then i used a old granny hair net before i put on my full faced helmet.

then after a long hot ride and yes my helmet is vented. i would wash my hair with 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part hydrogen peroxide. this would clean the scalp. after a ride. then wash and shampoo as you normaly do.

Guest tx2sturgis

Maybe shes mildly allergic to her own brand of shampoo...and maybe the heat and sweat and being pressed down on her scalp is making her react to it.

Worth a try, to use your shampoo or something thats milder like ivory or suave...could be something in her conditioner if shes using that.

Maybe shes allergic to the plastics and materials used in the helmet.

OR>>>>maybe shes allergic to RIDING!! :yikes:

I know most of you wont beleive me but i used to have to use hair gel.(way back when I had enuff hair to do that) when it was bike season I always found I got the itch too and went to a dermatologist and she suggested that i was slightly allergic to the gel or the fragrances or colours in a shampoo, and as long as i didnt wear a helmet it didnt make enough contact with my scalp to cause an issue. When I would wear the helmet it forced the full time contact and the itch drove me crazy.

I would suggest going without gel or hairspray for a day ride, and if she has been wearing the helmet without a dew rag , wear a fresh clean one on that day to avoid contact. In fact, i would suggest taking the helmet into the shower with you and use a non allergic shampoo like Johnsons baby shampoo and thouroughly scrub using your hands in the shower and rinse very well , allow to dry.

Also use the baby shampoo instead of one with fragrances and colours in it on her hair and scalp to eliminate her regular shampoo as the culprit.

Good luck,

Brian

Not so sure about the itch problem but my better half wears a motley tube.....and loves it

Keith

www.superflysunglasses.com/motleytube

These are great! They are great for wearing under helmets and when not using them for that they have several other purposes. They can be worn up to 12 different ways. I especially like to wear mine in the winter around my neck and tucked into the top of my shirt to keep the cold wind off of my neck. Look for polyester material. It's lightweight, great for summer heat!

Ken, My wife uses one of these occasionally. It helps her. She has the silk model.

http://cyclecrafts.net/helmet_liners_blk.jpg

Thanks ponch. I've ordered her some dry shampoo that was recommended by GAWildcat and was looking for something else other than another doo rag. This is what I've been searching for. I'll get one ordered.

Thanks again.