IGNORED

Quick ride 'round the block=400 miles later + Angry message from her b/f

LilBeaver

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope everything works out for you on gaining a good riding partner....and possibly a new girlfriend as well. Taking things slow is the way to go !:happy34:

Boomer.....who has enuff water under the bridge (with girlfriends ) to compete with Hoover Dam fer the generation of electricity.:crackup:

• 1 month later...
bump for interest

And here I thought folks would have moved on...

So far no news. She has been focused on the upcoming qualifying exam - which is a 4 day exam with a written part (6 hours each of the first 3) and an oral part (the last day that lasts anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes) that will determine whether she can continue in graduate school or not. I have been back in town for a couple of days now and have chatted a little bit but not much since she is prepping for this massacre.

Since there is interest, I'll update ya'll next Tuesday when she is done and we go for another ride :smile5:.

Well, I hate to disappoint ya'll, but I'll update here, although it will be a relatively short one as we haven't gone for a ride yet.

Good news:

- She took and passed a basic MSF course

- Got the motorcycle endorsement on her license

- We have a ride planned, she'll be riding with me

- Now she is even more excited about bikes and riding now than she was before

The rest:

She's back with the guy and he bought a bike sometime in the last few weeks. It is a few year old K_L .R 650, so I hear. (it is none of my business but I just don't like to see people get hurt; so long as he treats her right and she's happy then I am happy for her). By the way, according to her he had less than no interest in bikes until a few months ago - Apparently there was something that changed his mind... :confused: :confused24::duck:

- I will leave out the details, but she has one more attempt at the exam next year (I maintain that she would have done fine, but it isn't my decision as to whether she took it or not).

- She had some trouble with her car and had to put some money into it to replace some sensors and one of the computer modules so her bike purchase has to be put off for another month or two.

Anyhoot, we are supposed to be headed out for a ride either tomorrow or Sunday and he may or may not join us (either way she'll be on my bike). As I have stated repeatedly here, I am interested in her friendship and a mutual enjoyment of bikes - so as long as she is interested in friendship (riding of course is a bonus), I will continue to welcome her riding pillion or beside me (and whoever else wants to come along).

I'll update again after we get out and ride some more.

:smile5:

Edited by LilBeaver

Sounds like the boy friend needs to go out and buy a bike.

So a few months ago, a gal I work with (she shares an office with me) had asked about my bike (she sees my crash jacket & helmet sitting next to my desk every day) and we had a nice little chat about it. Turns out, some of her only memories of her and her father were of her riding on the back of his wing. She asked if I would mind taking her for a ride sometime, of course, I said no problem - just let me know when. Well work finally slowed down some (and classes are over for a while) so we planned it for today.

I roll up to her place around 745 or so. She is out on the porch waiting for me, and pretty much set to go. I hand off the extra crash jacket I have and helmet, we chit-chat a little and take off. My mistake was thinking that she just wanted a quick ride. So I take her for a 20 minute spin around town and down one of the only decent roads within 10 miles of town here and as I start to head back to town she says 'going back so soon?'. My response of 'I'll stay out as long as you want to' was followed up with 'how about a ride up to Palo Duro canyon?' (this is about a 220 mile round-trip straight there and back) While verifying with her that she knew how far it was, she had commented on how she had been there just recently and knew, blah blah blah, but she wanted to take a 'scenic route' up and back.

At this point I was about like :happy65::smile5: and said "Fine by me, lets go". So, I pull a u-turn and take off. We stop at a few scenic turn outs along the way for a peek or two at the views at each place (which are few and far between here in the panhandle). I have attached a few shots.

Since I've got the headsets in the helmets we chatted along the way and she was enjoying herself, which is good. We end up stopping for lunch and I pulled up to her place around 430 or so (~400 miles later) to let her off and she already wanted to know when she could go again :yikes::yikes: :happy34:.

Now, to be clear here, we are just friends and I have no intentions of it going any further, but dang, that about brought a tear to my eye.

While we were out, at one of the scenic turn outs a small group (turned out to be a portion of the STAR riders from Amarillo) pulled up and we chatted. They had 2 or 3 RSTDs, 1 Strat, a V-star and a black royal star tour classic (I think). I also chatted with an 84 year old man that was on an 08 wing that had over 60k on it, he was one happy rider.

So I get home and see that I have a few voicemails. It turns out that her boyfriend didn't know that she was going to be out all day and had her cell phone (which obviously had my number in it). I had no idea and meant no harm, but he mentioned numerous times that he was her boyfriend and wanted to know when we'd be back. Apparently he was also upset that I didn't answer my phone ( - which I'm guessing he didn't think through since we were on a bike). I guess I can't blame him, I'd be a 'little' honked too if my girlfriend took off with some guy I didn't know and was gone for most of the day. But, I don't know that I would have called his cell phone either :confused24::think:. I'm no home wrecker, but who am I to argue with a woman (I know better than that - especially on important matters like this).

Anyways, I had a TERRIFIC day, a FANTASTIC ride, and my friend was REALLY excited about the ride too and can't wait to go again. So, overall it has been a great day. :smile5:

I always love when I can share my joy of motorcycling with others that also appreciate and enjoy it, and that's all that happened today.

:Venture::Venture:

Hope everyone else had a great day too!!

Alright folks, since there seems to be some interest I suppose I can update about today's ~250 mile ride.

It was an interesting day to say the least; I guess it'll be easiest to just walk through it. As a warning, it is going to be pretty boring.

Yesterday she called and asked if I would have time to take her for a ride today (no surprise as we had tentatively set it up for this weekend anyways - I had mentioned this a few posts ago too, so bare with me here.) so, of course, I said sure - when and where. We chatted a little about her getting her license, the MSF course and what gear she has now. Point of sharing this is she asked if she could use my extra helmet, even though she has one of her own, so that we could talk while we rode.

I rolled out of my driveway around 715 this morning to a beautiful cloudless sky, 65 F, and a beautiful sunrise. Rolled up to her place around 730, she came out immediately and a few minutes later the bf came out too. I said good morning to him and he just sort of looked and grumbled something at me. As hard as it was, I did make a point of being very pleasant with him to make sure to not insert any unecessary tension in their relationship.

I asked him how long he had had his bike and how long he had been riding, etc etc, then followed up with how long we all wanted to be out. He had said that he didn't have any particular destination in mind and didn't care how long we would be out; (this is my favorite part) at this point she laughed at him and said "That is a dangerous thing to say around [Rick]... That could mean a 10 or 12 hour ride".

His response in a nutshell: :yikes:

Some more follow up ensued and I suggested a route that would keep us out for 150-175 miles and take about 3.25 hours to complete. As [her and I] saddled up, he had made some comment to her about riding with me instead of him - but I didn't really hear all of it, but she hopped on and was ready to go so I didn't acknowledge whatever he had said (mostly because I honestly couldn't make it out).

So, side-stands went up around 745 or so and we were off.

We (her and I) had some time to catch up and she had shared that he had adjusted his attitude tremendously and things were now back on track and going very well for them - so, that was good to hear.

Among this conversation she had mentioned that she was completely shocked when he said he wanted to take an MSF course and get a bike too. Especially since he was so opposed to motorcycles a few months ago - this made me snicker to myself, but quietly enough so that she would continue...

He led out of town and for most of the first half of the ride (I wanted him to so that we would go at a comfortable pace for him, etc etc) He pulled off for our first stop around 60 miles or so. He needed to stretch out and was already getting a little sore (his seat is quite hard, apparently). There was some minor chit-chat among them, and he was reasonably pleasant, although there was very limited exchange between him and myself.

We continued on for another 70 miles or so, where we stopped for fuel and to decide which way to go. We had 3 options, a very direct way back, a moderately direct way back or 'keep riding'. He opted for the very direct way back - so, no big deal we took off that direction (at this point we were still 60 miles away so there was plenty of time for a certain passenger to call an audible). Surprisingly enough, not long after getting going again she had expressed her disappointment about heading back so soon and mentioned that she wanted to stay out a bit longer (:happy65:'. So, I waited until we got considerably closer to town then pulled off to chat with him and share the plans.

Upon our stop, she asked how he was doing and with a few grimaces, he said he was fine. I mentioned that we were going to keep riding and he was welcome to come along or head back.

He decided to continue along.

So, we rode some more and ended up back at her house around 130 or so and totaling about 250 miles for the day. It was a short day but her and I had a great time.

While I was stowing the helmet that I let her use and whatnot he came over and we all 3 chatted a little bit before I left.

I can say that watching him get off of his bike was QUITE entertaining; I am all too familiar with those expressions (as I have my share of long days on uncomfortable bikes). HOWEVER, watching was not nearly as entertaining as asking how he was doing and listening him say that he was 'okay', followed by HER immediately telling him how comfortable WE had been the entire time. I will say that dealing with him today he seemed like a completely different person than the last couple times I have dealt with him... But different circumstances, I suppose. Whatever - we rode bikes today, so its all good.

While out riding, her and I talked quite a bit more about what kind of bike she is interested in and she still wants to go bike shopping - she seems to be seriously looking for a small cruiser (as I posted a while back). Incidentally, I may be in contact with a few of you on here for pictures, more information, etc. As of right now she is 1-3 months away from actually making a purchase as she had some car trouble that cost her a pretty penny. But we'll see.

I know I know, this was a pretty boring read, but hey - I had a great ride with some great company (and she mentioned the same thing before we got back, that made me feel good) and she seems happy with where she is at. So, who knows - maybe I'll have a 3rd riding 'friend' too... :confused24:

Anyways, I hope I didn't let any of you 'followers' down with the boring-ness of today's ride/post :rasberry:.

By the way, we've already got the next ride planned :D, but shhhhhhhhh not everyone knows yet.

She seems happy, and that is really all I care about. So, until next time:

:Venture:

Edited by LilBeaver

He had said that he didn't have any particular destination in mind and didn't care how long we would be out; (this is my favorite part) at this point she laughed at him and said "That is a dangerous thing to say around [Rick]... That could mean a 10 or 12 hour ride".

His response in a nutshell: :yikes:

She seems happy, and that is really all I care about. So, until next time:

:Venture:

Yup, touring bikes & longer rides seem to go together........ :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis

What a lucky lady....she gets 2 b/fs who ride for the price of one!

Rick...I'd bow out of that situation. But thats just me. There are many quality women who wont put you in that situation.

Seems like a setup for a few bruised egos, and really, you have nothing to prove. Apparently the b/f is all about proving himself, in many ways, and the gal seems happy to make him feel jealous....or slightly inferior...

Just be careful my friend!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Rick...I'd bow out of that situation. But thats just me. There are many quality women who wont put you in that situation.

Seems like a setup for a few bruised egos, and really, you have nothing to prove. Apparently the b/f is all about proving himself, in many ways, and the gal seems happy to make him feel jealous....or slightly inferior...

I'll second that motion..........

I guess I hadn't really considered any of that... I got caught up in the excitement of bikes, riding, and I am apparently quite dense :confused24:.

hmm....

Guest tx2sturgis
I guess I hadn't really considered any of that... I got caught up in the excitement of bikes, riding, and I am apparently quite dense :confused24:.

hmm....

Youre not dense my friend. But men were only born with enough blood to run one head at a time.

:whistling:

Besides, during the time youre with this unavailable lady, you COULD be finding a lady that is a better match for YOU.

I recomend a ride up to Amarillo with me some weekend that you have the time off. I can show you places and introduce you to ladies that respect themselves and the men who ride. Or...if you prefer, I can show you places where you can find ladies who are a bit more....available.

:D

Youre not dense my friend. But men were only born with enough blood to run one head at a time.

:whistling:

Besides, during the time youre with this unavailable lady, you COULD be finding a lady that is a better match for YOU.

I recomend a ride up to Amarillo with me some weekend that you have the time off. I can show you places and introduce you to ladies that respect themselves and the men who ride.

:doh::bang head:

So THAT's my problem. I spend ALL day (and most nights) researching, calculating, working out problems, analyzing data etc and when I get on the bike I let all that go and focus on riding and relaxing INSTEAD of using my head.

:thumbsup2:

Maybe I should make a shirt that says "Slow down and explain it to me, I'm just a guy"

:crackup: