IGNORED

Too many accidents

Tartan Terror

Well I guess I have some thinking to do. Especially this year we have had so many accidents and lost so many that my will to ride has been kind ot shot right now. Ive rode once in the last 10 weeks and the last time was a month ago. Ive already started clearing the garage. The 1007 Honda shadow 1100 ACE that I customized will be on Ebay starting tomorrow and honestly im really thinking of putting the RSV up and selling it. Jebbles has spoken a few times of wanting to find a 1960s Mustang to restore or just get one ready to ride. Really been on my mind. Besides Ive been filling the time that I used to ride with fishing and playing with my 21" Mako. How can you get enthuiastic about riding if all you see are friends getting hurt. Now with GaryN and Leslie we have another seriously hurt and One gone to be with the Father. Makes me wonder how long before its me. With all the unlicensed Illegals and people who are in so much of hurry they just dont care how long before its mu turn? I live in an area that once was a small farm area and now every weekend we get the Cityiots (N Y City idiots) come out here to practice driving and I alone have had may close calls this summer alone. Im no really sure what to do yet but Ill let you know. Any interest in the RSV?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott just give it a bit. The same idiots that can hit you while riding your bike will most likely be the same ones to hit you in a car, or walking across the street, or the sidewalk. Unfortunately when our time comes it comes no matter where we are and no matter how careful we've been. You just can't live your life in fear of what might be.

Margaret

Scott just give it a bit. The same idiots that can hit you while riding your bike will most likely be the same ones to hit you in a car, or walking across the street, or the sidewalk. Unfortunately when our time comes it comes no matter where we are and no matter how careful we've been. You just can't live your life in fear of what might be.

Margaret

I totally agree with Margaret here too. I know that eventually we all must make that one decision on whether we continue riding or not. Only you can make that decision thou. Once you feel there's no fun left in riding or you become to fearful to ride then I think it's time to sell the bike. Life has enough problems without contributing to them.

Till then I pray we all ride as safe as possible

Larry

You know folks I agree to a point ...but this has been a bad summer ...we lost a neighbor in a bike accident this spring and she was a real sweetheart too ....really great people ..and now with my cousin I just don't know if I'll get the wife on the bike again and if I can't do that ...it's not worth while keeping .. I guess I'll just wait till spring and decide ...

Scott. I don't think things have really changed that much. What has changed is the instant awareness that's afforded us thru internet families that have formed and grown. As families grow in size the chance of one of it's members having an accident increases, and instantly hearing about an accident increases. Before the internet we would have never heard about Gary and Leslie's accident and the results. I think you should consider this before making any rash decisions. Maybe a little hiatus away from riding might help. We all change our play toys from time to time, but making a life style change is a lot different. Hope you find 'fun' in anything you do. Good Luck.

I firmely believe that my name is on a calander upstairs.....and when that day comes, there is not a thing I, or anyone else can do to change that. So enjoy each day as it were your last, cause you don't know when it will be. Don't give up on life!!

Leslie went , doing what she really enjoyed...riding the bike with the man she really loved...Gary.

I hope I can have that kind of ending!!

Guest BluesLover
Leslie went , doing what she really enjoyed...riding the bike with the man she really loved...Gary

Well said Lonna.

I recall having lunch with the 2 of them in Blenheim not too long ago (a couple of days before Gary's surgery) and watching the 2 of them, I said to myself "now, there's a couple that is at total peace with one another".

I know they were so looking forward to making plans for their winter "adventure" in warmer weather too ... what a shame ...

I have had my share of bike accidents some real bad too. I did not ride for years and had no plans of it then a couple years ago the wife of all people put the bug in my ear again about a bike. I bought a new 06 boulevard loved it and 3 months latter i was hit broadside but i will not quiet and go back to not doing something i enjoy ever again i went and bought a new V* soon as i got my insurance check and went back to riding I used to do a lot of fishing to TT and i know no matter what you do there is all ways the chance of a accident even just going to the bathroom in your own home

I guess what I'm saying is know matter what you do in life you can live it or wish you had

what ever you decide

good luck :thumbsup2:

dray

Well I guess I have some thinking to do. Especially this year we have had so many accidents and lost so many that my will to ride has been kind ot shot right now. Ive rode once in the last 10 weeks and the last time was a month ago. Ive already started clearing the garage. The 1007 Honda shadow 1100 ACE that I customized will be on Ebay starting tomorrow and honestly im really thinking of putting the RSV up and selling it. Jebbles has spoken a few times of wanting to find a 1960s Mustang to restore or just get one ready to ride. Really been on my mind. Besides Ive been filling the time that I used to ride with fishing and playing with my 21" Mako. How can you get enthuiastic about riding if all you see are friends getting hurt. Now with GaryN and Leslie we have another seriously hurt and One gone to be with the Father. Makes me wonder how long before its me. With all the unlicensed Illegals and people who are in so much of hurry they just dont care how long before its mu turn? I live in an area that once was a small farm area and now every weekend we get the Cityiots (N Y City idiots) come out here to practice driving and I alone have had may close calls this summer alone. Im no really sure what to do yet but Ill let you know. Any interest in the RSV?

You are not alone in your feelings. I have been thinking much the same, just about all summer, since my wife and I crashed in June. I replaced my wrecked '01 RSV with a nice low mileage '06 RSV, but it has just sat in my garage, less than a tank of gas run through it. The few rides I've taken have been alone, because my wife is still recuperating from the serious concussion. For now, riding is not fun anymore. I used to fish and enjoy sailboating until 12 years ago when I bought my '83 Venture. It has been a great 12 years, full of adventure and travel, meeting new friends, customizing and hot rodding my bikes. The best part was enjoying and sharing this with my wife sitting behind me. I have gone from one hobby to another, all my life. It has always been easy before. But now, it is not easy. I know that at my age, there will be no going back, if I decide to leave motorcycling behind. It has been a tough year, yes. But I have decided to let the decision wait, for now. Winter and snow is near. Perhaps next Spring, when I roll out my bikes, and go for that first ride of Spring, I will feel different. Perhaps you should do the same...think about it over the winter months.

Scott whatever you decide remember this You are a part of this Family and will be supported by the members here.I have thought on and off since 86er's accident about getting rid of my bikes but I love to ride them too much.Who knows the day may come that I do go back to a cage and it may not. Take some time get Jebbles the Mustang and think it through.I have ridden through N.Y. City more than once and believe it or not I would rather ride there than in Savannah Ga.The cityidiots are a lot more aware of bikes in the north than the south (leaving out the morons in Conneticut).

Let us know what you decide.

Jeff

Guest maddabber

As I read these comments there are so many of us on the same page. I live to ride. I have had friends die in crashes on motorcycles but also in cars and I will miss them always. I believe when GOD wants us home then it is that time, but it is him that gave us our ablities to learn to ride and to continue on. Most of my friends ride and what would we all have to talk about. The decision of course will be yours but let the winter months heal some wounds then decide. You will always have friends here.

Darrell

Well I've ridden most of my life and had a bike of some sort for almost all my adult life, but I haven't grown up but when it comes the day I began to second guess riding a motorcycle I will quit in a heartbeat.

I've wrecked, had several friends die on bikes and seen a few more go down for one reason or the other but I have never really given any thought to quiting.

I've had 2 friends have sons to die on motorcycles, one was in a coma for 35 days. That probably brothered me more then any other wreck. Both my son's have ridden at one time or the other with rocket bikes but so far nothing serious. My youngest rides with me occasionally and I worry about him more then anything I have ever done just because I am with him. If he's out riding with someone else I never give it a second thought.

Anyway a person has to do what you have to do. I know one thing though if I ever have a fear of riding, I'm done, never to ride again.

The thing I do fear is getting to old to ride, what a bummer that will be.

But not today and not tomorrow.

Jerry

My advice to every man is to follow his heart and conscience. Peace of Mind is mandatory for a enjoyable riding experience. Solo riding I love my 84 for those familiar territory adventures. Riding two up again familiar territory it's the 89's turn. After we purchased the 99 with voyager kit in my opinion it is the only choice for riding two up,towing, in out of state travel. Peace of mind is increased with the added visibility, wet road handling of the voyager. Again this is my preference and every man his own.There are alternatives what ever it take just enjoy the ride.

A little fear is not a bad thing. If you fear something you are very much more aware of whats around you. I dont mean for fear to make you freeze up but to let it make you think of what could happen so that you cant react. I have been a cop for over 20 years and have had fear strike me many times. It made me more aware and my vision and hearing much more acute. I was then ready to fight to the death if need be. If anyone, cops included, tells you he has never been scared of anything you can know that he is a liar and a fool. I think about getting in a wreck and killing my wife and then I slow down a little and drive a little more careful. Am I scared. You bet I am. I would never want to lose her, especially through fault of mine. Remember you have to make up your own mind but dont make a hasty decision. Good luck. Lyle

As a few of you know my wife Debby has had 16 major surgeries on her neck,back and left arm. She has had 2 neurostimulaters put in and tomorrow Am another one. We discussed this accident and our riding and she says she does not want to quit doing the only thing left she and I can do together for outdoor type activities. Gary and Leslie knew this and rode with us numerous times and they were always accommadating as far as knowing I was going to take the curves easier and ride a little slower with Debby on the back. Ramblingman and Mike rode with us alot in Colorado and they both knew the situation and I felt so good knowing others understood and would "hold back" a little. Debby says it best..." Tom, dont take the only thing left I can do with you together and with others away from me...I want to LIVE life to its fullest as long as I can." We will keep riding but will always have Leslie on our minds and in our hearts. Leslie loved riding and her Love for Gary always showed.Tom

Every time Mechanic and I get on the bike, we kiss and say I love you.

We just never know when something may happen. Last week a member of the local Southern Cruisers lost her life and he was seriously injured, hit a deer coming home from Myrtle Beach, and less than 10 miles from home. We rode with this couple one time, but Mechanic and I both felt like we had lost a close friend.

But we are not going to stop riding, we made to many friends because of the bike, and we are not trading that for anything.

So I agree with the others, take some time, and get back on the bike when you feel at peace.

Ride Safe

I firmely believe that my name is on a calander upstairs.....and when that day comes, there is not a thing I, or anyone else can do to change that. So enjoy each day as it were your last, cause you don't know when it will be. Don't give up on life!!

As some of you know, I am dying of stage 4 leukemia. I truely believe what sweetnothing has said here. I have ridden bikes for many years and have had many close calls and a few crashes in my life. Riding my bike is my therapy, my excape from my own mortality because when I ride I forget about everything else. We all must play the hand that we are dealt but, the end result is the same. We begin to die the minute that we take our first breath and the clock starts ticking! I hate to hear about these tragedies the same as everyone else here but, I would much rather go to meet the Father doing somthing that I love to do than lying in a hospital bed drawing my last breath. As stated here, the internet has brought this family together and we now hear of these accidents where we would have probably never have know about them otherwise. We have lost many members and know of alot more involved in accidents. If you feel that riding has become more of a risk than what it is worth to you than by all means, it is time to give it up! I haven't given up my fight to beat this cancer but, I pray that when it's my time, I go out riding!

Mark

Ok this is way too serious so I figured it's time to add a little levity. I say we all start wearing pink chaps. Beer30 made the ones Jeff has and we refer to them as safety chaps. They do draw alot of attention. Just send us what size you need and I'll make sure you get a pair for you and Jebbles.

Ok that's that. Besides you already wear a kilt what's a pair of pink chaps.

Ya know we love ya no matter what you do and you will have to stick around here no matter what you decide.

Margaret

I must say I have had similar thoughts today. After totaling my bike 3 weeks ago and coming out of that relatively unharmed I have been thinking a lot about getting back on, or not. I read of Gary and Leslie this afternoon and my heart sank. A short time later my dealer called me to let me know I can pick my new bike up tomorrow. I paused a few seconds before telling him I would be there tomorrow and I am still questioning if it the right thing to do. But as others have said, it is a lifestyle and I truly feel there would be a big hole in mine if I give it up now. I expect I'll be a lot more cautious and provide much more space around me in the future. If I find I'm not comfortable back on the bike there will be a very low mileage '07 RSV for sale in the spring.

DT

hey Scott

if you get on the bike and i does not make your heart go pitter patter, that great feeling of freedom, open to smell the air, taste the bugs, then it is time to move on to another great hobby. we will miss you, and hope that you continue to add your humour to the site.

Sherry and i cannot wait for any excuse to get on the bike and ride, we have met so many great people, been to so many meet and eats, seen so much of Canada and U.S.A., we will continue to take the risk and enjoy our rides. this year was the first accident that i had on our bike, i have ridden over 30 years non stop. thankfully it was only me on the machine, i just went to get gas and was coming home to take my daughter out for a daddy-date. i have three 50 watt lights on the front of the bike (headlight and 2 driving lights) and the lady said she never seen me. she was coming from the opposite direction stopped and made a left hand turn right in front of me. all i seen was her passenger door, locked the brakes and crash, down i go. sherry and i have put over 2,000 km on the bike since, as it was all cosmetic damage to the bike. i am still in therapy, but i can swing my right leg over the seat and i still get that rush, even now when i get on the machine. when i have fear about riding, i will stop, and have to find another hobby.

god bless us all

Margaret

Leslie went , doing what she really enjoyed...riding the bike with the man she really loved...Gary.

These two women are correct.

After reading of an accident i always evaluate if I'm going to keep riding. then i think of how my stress relief would be gone and I change my mind. I mostly ride alone as the wife doesn't like to ride. My daughter rides with me from time to time and I find that riding is not as relaxing when she is with me. (thats the father in me) so I know what you are going through.

Scott you have to make up your own mind and hope it is truley what you want to do we are with you.

When you hear about these accidents anybody with any since is going to question them selves and assess there tolerance for the risks they take. That decision is an individual's decision and it can't be made by any one else. Your feelings will moderate over time and you will make your final decision. I have quit riding before after a near miss on a goldwing I had 2 small children and 1 on the way and I decided my responsibility was to my family and sold the bike. I went 12 years without a street bike before I started riding again. I take my life into my own hands every day and I have decided to live life on my terms I refuse to fear life so I can arrive safely at death. You will have to make your own decision and live with it but keep in mind life in a bubble is not living. Ask yourself which you regret more the things you have done or the things you could have done but didn't.

Today I saw a friend I haven't seen for about a month and she asked me if I've been practicing my motorcycle riding skills. Lone Eagle asked me the same question last week. For those that don't know I took the beginner MSF class in May (about a week and a half after we lost TomE). TomE and his wife Sherry were on my mind during the class. I was scared but went on. All summer we've heard about these accidents...It has me scared , real scared! So like I told Lone Eagle and my friend I haven't practiced very much because of this fear. I too believe when it's your time to go it's your time to go. My question is...Are we moving our "date" on the calendar up by taking the risk of riding a motorcycle.

I guess I will have to decide that by next Spring.