IGNORED

Can You Say 1900CC Venture V-Twin????

Long Tall

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My good authority says its not gonna look like a 2nd Gen but a new Hi Tech Big Comfortable Sport Tourer non cruiser :scared: why in the world would Yamaha put a high tech/hi performance motor (Vmax1800) on a bike that has an underperforming chassis/ old school style frame? It would be a huge waste of power/performance on something that cant utilize it. It doesnt make sense to me. What would be the point? I'm sorry, I just dont think that is going to happen from a marketing standpoint. A Vmax motor on a high tech sport tourer something that can handle the power and carve corners but still be comfortable that would make sense. Maybe look like a Victory Vision, maybe, but I would think more Goldwing like. Yes stay tuned.

The V-Max motor is 1670 cc's I believe. It's tuned for high horsepower and high rpms. The same motor can be bored to 1800 cc's or more I'm sure and be tuned for torque. If you think about it Yamaha put a bored out tuned for torque V-Max motor in the Venture we have now. I'm sure the new v4 could out power the Goldwing which is 1832 cc's :2cents: Just sayin'

The V-Max motor is 1670 cc's I believe. It's tuned for high horsepower and high rpms. The same motor can be bored to 1800 cc's or more I'm sure and be tuned for torque. If you think about it Yamaha put a bored out tuned for torque V-Max motor in the Venture we have now. I'm sure the new v4 could out power the Goldwing which is 1832 cc's :2cents: Just sayin'
i think some one finally got the picture. you are right on. it's all about marketing. the new max motor is in the v-max as a test bed. the high price of the max is there to keep it in the hands of serious riders for some serious feed back and reliability research. the max sales will never begin to pay back the design engineering and research investment in the new max motor. it is going to be enlarged and detuned for the flagship yamaha tourer of the future. the economy put a big glitch in yamahas tourer plans, as it has with alot of other big industry. it could even take the new venture tourer off the drawing boards for good. it's all about making money and big business. almost all big industry is scrambling now to keep their head above water. they have to be very careful to pick and choose where to best put their dollars, or they end up like gm and chrysler. so don't hold your breathe to long for the new tourer. :depressed:

I suspect there won't be a 2011 Venture. The economy is still bad, and possible higher gasoline prices could cool the demand for big displacement machines of all kinds.

If fuel prices look stable and the economy picks up, and bike sales pick up, then maybe in 2012.

If seat height isn't kept at 30inches or less, then a lot of buyers will be sized out of the market. The Vmax is too high for me and many others to ride comfortably.

I also suspect that many of us who are spoiled by how easy the 2nd gen ventures are to work on, will be dissappointed by the increased difficulty of maintenance of the newer technology.

All of this is speculation. No one in the US knows anything about the 2011 venture, even the president of yamaha US and no one in the US will know until Japan lets them know before the dealer meetings.

Another spin on the Venture saga is the sales pipeline is full.

Back in '83 Yamaha dealt with a market that was vertually void of existing product, and sold the 'H' out of the Venture. Honda did too, with the Wing. Long range touring in comfort, and not ending up on a stretcher at the end of the day was a fairly new concept for a metric. Harley had been offering baggers for a while, but their downfall was their reliability. The Venture also appealed to the older rider who had the funds to buy one of these tourers. At the end of the 1stGen run in '93 sales had slowed considerably. Then along came the 2ndGen.... kind of like 'New Improved Tide' it stired the pot and sales picked up, but not anywhere near the numbers produced in the begining. One of the big drawbacks was the longivity of the V4 motor, and the appeal of riding an older bike with the same motor as the latest offering. So, any new Venture will fall on a market glutted with reliable tourers, that are still very capable for long range touring, and any new model will certainly fall on and very limited market. Couple that with an economy that is going to take years to gain back the confidence to spend large amounts of cash for a non-neccessary item, and I don't think we'll be seeing anything new for sometime.... MY :2cents:

My good authority says its not gonna look like a 2nd Gen but a new Hi Tech Big Comfortable Sport Tourer non cruiser :scared: why in the world would Yamaha put a high tech/hi performance motor (Vmax1800) on a bike that has an underperforming chassis/ old school style frame? It would be a huge waste of power/performance on something that cant utilize it. It doesnt make sense to me. What would be the point? I'm sorry, I just dont think that is going to happen from a marketing standpoint. A Vmax motor on a high tech sport tourer something that can handle the power and carve corners but still be comfortable that would make sense. Maybe look like a Victory Vision, maybe, but I would think more Goldwing like. Yes stay tuned.

Why, because it is more comfortable!!! There is no way a sport touring bike will be as comfortable for two up touring. Even the Wing and BMW LT sacrifice some comfort and leg room, for handling. I really prefer the looks of the Wing, and of the LT, but after test riding them several times, the Venture moved from third or fourth on my list, to the top. It was the most comfortable.

All of this is speculation. No one in the US knows anything about the 2011 venture, even the president of yamaha US and no one in the US will know until Japan lets them know before the dealer meetings.

Ya know I find that hard to believe. Either Yamaha isn't doing anything, or they have the tightest security known to God!! ... or the CIA. Maybe they threaten their employees with penalty of death if they say anything??? They just don't do R&D, and retool for a new model ovenight. Anticipation... the tease... is one of the best selling tools around.

I have had more than one dealer tell me that yamaha is the most secretive of any cycle mfg. A retired dealer from wisconsin that moved to Florida said Japan doesn't discuss the new models until they are ready to introduce them. He also said that the executives from Japan don't listen to the dealers or ask for their input. The venture is not a big seller for yamaha.

One more thing. Someone on here posted last year that they called yamaha USA and were told they were going to be surprised at the new features on the new venture. I can't remember the number of people that talked to dealers and got a different store. Don't believe it. Even yamaha USA was wrong with what they told someone.

One other element to take into consideration was that Yamaha and Kawi were playing a game of chicken - - who would pull the trigger first on a "new" touring bike. Kawi lost when they introduced the Voyager with a grand THUD in mid-'09 (two major recalls already!). That bought Yamy time to test the waters, watch the market and ride out the tanking economy for awhile before having to make a decision on a when to move forward on any serious changes to the current 2nd Gen.

But you're right - the Venture is a sidebar line to Yamaha's major product line up. They are kicking ass right now in the PWC and sport boat market (just passed Sea Ray in the under-25' segment for #1 market share), and are seeing some nice rebound in the ATV/UTV/Side-by-Side market as well. And they still hold a solid #2 market share position in the US in metric M/C sales (Honda still rules those numbers, and is closing fast on H-D for overall #1 in all M/C sales).

But I still believe that 2011 will see a new Venture introduction that will maintain the classic styling but offer some nice enhancements in a price point that will give us Baby Boomers and everyone else that likes a comfortable ride and easy maintenance some cause to take a serious look.

even if they come out with a 3rd Gen bike with the kind of stuff we wish for, i could not get one. I was lucky enough to find our 04 at a price that we could afford. 18 to 22 K is not in our budget.

if it happens like sometimes it does, the new model will bring down prices on the older models. i will consider upgrading my 04 to, say, an 07 or 08 just depending how it goes.

Ride the wheels off the '04 for a few more years then upgrade to a used 3d Gen.

:thumbsup2:

I'll have to do the same as my '09 was almost the straw that broke my financial back. And it gives me plenty of time to participate in these "what if's" and what might be's".

:whistling:

even if they come out with a 3rd Gen bike with the kind of stuff we wish for, i could not get one. I was lucky enough to find our 04 at a price that we could afford. 18 to 22 K is not in our budget.

if it happens like sometimes it does, the new model will bring down prices on the older models. i will consider upgrading my 04 to, say, an 07 or 08 just depending how it goes.

Hey Dennis,

It's only about 3 hours or so from your place to the M&E in Indy on the 15th, why don't you and Valerie come on up?

I'm thining about it. Got some clean up chores related to all of the water we've had lately that I need to get taken care of. If I can get that done this week we might.

Dennis

Why, because it is more comfortable!!! There is no way a sport touring bike will be as comfortable for two up touring. Even the Wing and BMW LT sacrifice some comfort and leg room, for handling. I really prefer the looks of the Wing, and of the LT, but after test riding them several times, the Venture moved from third or fourth on my list, to the top. It was the most comfortable.

I understand where your coming from its more comfortable for you. I like my feet on pegs. My butt starts to hurt on a bike with boards. Now my knees will hurt on my 1st Gen a little in the first hour of riding but i can stretch my legs out and correct the issue never could get my butt comfortable on a bike with boards on extended trips.

Ok, this may sound stupid, but...

When you guys are talking about side opening trunks, your referring to the lid flipping open to the left correct? Not like the lids on the first gens that flip forward.

For some reason I had a picture in my head of a trunk that had a side that opened instead of the top.

:buttkick:

Can You Say 1900CC Venture V-Twin???? In a word.....NO !

Originally Posted by Bobby G viewpost.gif

I have it on excellent authority inside Yamaha that they will NEVER move to a V-twin for the Venture. Look for a very nicely juiced up 2011 model with lots of improvements to the current 2nd Gen. (Their guys read this forum every day, so they know what their loyal customers are saying!) Target price will be under $20K.

I won't say that I don't believe you, but I am having much difficulty, which is to say I am way skeptical! My plan has been to see if they came through and put out something that we've been asking for, which if they did I was going to sell what I had and buy new. Partly because of that, I passed on buying the single most gorgeous Venture I have ever laid eyes on, this week...[still not 100% sure I shouldn't have gone ahead and got it anyway]...(and partly ...admittedly, it was going to be a trick to pull it all together at one time...BUT, I really was wanting to hold out to see what Yamaha was going to do) Based on the many discussions here, I had a vision of what I thought the next gen. Venture would be and if it was anywhere close, well, I wanted one!

I have to be honest, I'm getting tired of waiting on them. If they drop the ball this time, I'm probably going to have to find something else. Or find the guy that bought the Venture I saw and steal it from him!!!

(2001 2 tone green 16k miles...$8000) shoulda done it....

Dude, let me be the first to say it....... YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR HEAD EXAMINED!!!!

That is one gorgeous work of art........ I hate to even go out and look at mine now.

Honda discontinued the Valkyrie line, claiming no interest. Yet every time I ride it there's a crowd. If it's selling the manufacturers will support it, if not it's adios. Strictly a business decision. I bought an 09 Venture cause I couldn't find a new Valkyrie. Guess I'll be looking for something else in 7 or 8 years.

I understand where your coming from its more comfortable for you. I like my feet on pegs. My butt starts to hurt on a bike with boards. Now my knees will hurt on my 1st Gen a little in the first hour of riding but i can stretch my legs out and correct the issue never could get my butt comfortable on a bike with boards on extended trips.

So at home watching TV you sit in a kitchen chair and keep your feet under you so your butt won't get sore?

After reading most of these posts and the hopes of a totally new and improved Venture, I myself would like other people to test the these waters first. Not to be too skeptical; but with new models and changes, they are usually followed with defects and recalls. I believe many of these defects are usually identified/discovered mostly by the trial of the consumer.

I too would like to see what is on the horizon and I'm sure Yamaha could develop an awesome performing modern machine; but I will patiently lay back, stick with my 06 RSV until that day should happen and the dust settles. :2cents:

Dude, let me be the first to say it....... YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR HEAD EXAMINED!!!!

That is one gorgeous work of art........ I hate to even go out and look at mine now.

Yeah, tell me about it!! You don't even want to see the rest of the pictures! (or maybe you do- it may still be up...... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-VENTURE-LOW-MILES-LOADED-UPGRADES-EXCELLENT-/150438060971?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2306cea3ab As of 5 min. ago pics were still there.) I kept hearing Tweety Bird saying "If I dood it...I dit a whippin"! (it surely is pretty though, isn't it......that puts my previous fav., the '06 Black Cherry w/whitewalls firmly into second place)

Worst case if Yamaha doesn't come through, I may look for a low mileage, well accessorized, well cared for Venture at a deal, buy it and have it painted. Now pardon me while I go have a headache...:bang head: