IGNORED

Can You Say 1900CC Venture V-Twin????

Long Tall

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swifty
Not to be too skeptical; but with new models and changes, they are usually followed with defects and recalls. I believe many of these defects are usually identified/discovered mostly by the trial of the consumer.

an article in the auto section of a major Canadian newspaper this week...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-tips/recalls/the-motorcycle-anti-hit-list/article1558030/

So at home watching TV you sit in a kitchen chair and keep your feet under you so your butt won't get sore?

Not the same Im not holding a set of bars stuck in the same position. I dont even ride with my feet on the boards just at the back edge because on the boards it just doesnt feel good to me.

Not the same Im not holding a set of bars stuck in the same position. I dont even ride with my feet on the boards just at the back edge because on the boards it just doesnt feel good to me.

I don't know, to me it sort of is, if the seat of the bike supports your behind properly, and gives you a little room to move, it should not be the thing that stops you. Of course for some this is going to require a custom seat, but for me the pillowtop seat on the Venture is fine.

Back when I road sport, my knees, wrists, and butt all got sore very quickly. I experimented with different bars and made it the wrists better but knees and butt still got sore quickly. Switched to sport-touring bikes, and that helped the knees so the butt was the first thing to get sore. Bought a good custom seat and back to the wrists and knees being the first thing to get sore. Butt would still get sore, but just a few minutes off the bike stretching and it could go again, not so with the wrists and knees.

Now the Venture with the pillowtop seat and back rest, no weight on the wrists, knees are always bent less than 90 degrees and floor boards give me room to move around so the knees are not a problem, I really don't get sore anymore, I just get tired.

But or butt to each his own.

I know I'm getting off topic here but, in my 40+ years of motorcycling the pillow top seats and the Yamaha Venture is the most comfortable bike I've ever sat.

I can and have ridden day and night with no discomfort. Now, I will say that after 24 straight hours in the saddle my hips did start to act up on me a bit, but at my age I'm gonna lay off the those hard of rides and stay with in a more comfortable 16 or so straight hours. :2cents:

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't think we need a new model just improve on this one. Lose the cassette, put on fuel injection, and a few other here and theres. Harley has had the same basic model forever, with up grades from time to time, and everyone loves them. Accessory manufacturers like them because they know they won't have to retool every couple of years. Owners like them because there's so many different accessories to personalize their ride. I owned an 86 Venture for 21 years before this one and loved it. It was a little cramped for my 6'6'' frame, but not near as bad as the BMW or the Wing I tried before buying my 08 RSV . Just my two bits I'll go back to my corner now.

Conrad

I think it is fun to speculate and also hear other spuclations... gets the mind going and also makes a person dream a little.. Now in my mind the perfect touring bike woulld look like a 1983 venture, vmax engine with turbo, 6 speed trans, full progressive suspension, (front and monoshock), personally I dont care about stereo etc due to when I ride that is when I like to think or just watch the scenery to clear my mind. cb would be good though in case you break down but then most carry cell phone... led break light and led turn signals, i guess that is all... maybe a bug washer for the winshield...

I know I'm getting off topic here but, in my 40+ years of motorcycling the pillow top seats and the Yamaha Venture is the most comfortable bike I've ever sat.

I can and have ridden day and night with no discomfort. Now, I will say that after 24 straight hours in the saddle my hips did start to act up on me a bit, but at my age I'm gonna lay off the those hard of rides and stay with in a more comfortable 16 or so straight hours. :2cents:

That ole '53 Duo Glide was pretty comfy. Course my butt was much younger then. My memory was better too. Just dreamin.:grandpa:

"You can't control the wind but you can adjust your sail"

they wonder why they cant sell bikes? well maybe they should listen to the people, and see what they want!!! anyone wanting a venture now will be going to another bike or shoppin for used one to get what they want.. thats the real problem, they just wont listten to the customer..

EXAMPLE!!!

have you ever worked at a job for years, made a suggestion on how to increase production, and it were turned down just because the maintainence crewor the boss didnt agree?? i have .. so i made the change myself and it was a great sucess.. speeded up production emensely.. ( i used to do most of my own maintainence myself at work..) MY POINT;;;; being listen to the people who run the equipment day after day.. in this case listen to what the people want..:confused24::confused24:

Yamaha will "cut off it's nose to spite it's face" if it doesn't come out with a new Venture, in my opinion.

Tourers sell. HD sells more tourers (UCs, SGs, RGs, RKs, ECs) than anything else in their line-up. Goldwing sales have been so good that Honda eliminated most of their other "tourers" like the VTX-T and Valk.

Yamaha isn't stupid. The bad economy is affecting the sales of all bikes - not just touring bikes. When sales pick back up, people who want to travel on a motorcycle will be looking for tourers again.

Yamaha needs to be in the game.

Yamaha will "cut off it's nose to spite it's face" if it doesn't come out with a new Venture, in my opinion.

Tourers sell. HD sells more tourers (UCs, SGs, RGs, RKs, ECs) than anything else in their line-up. Goldwing sales have been so good that Honda eliminated most of their other "tourers" like the VTX-T and Valk.

Yamaha isn't stupid. The bad economy is affecting the sales of all bikes - not just touring bikes. When sales pick back up, people who want to travel on a motorcycle will be looking for tourers again.

Yamaha needs to be in the game.

Don't bet on it. Can you say Cavalcade.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/Cavalcade/1985_Cavalcade_Canada_250.jpg

:witch_brew: :whistling:

Guest Swifty
Now in my mind the perfect touring bike woulld look like a 1983 venture, vmax engine with turbo, 6 speed trans,

...that last item I can never understand...why does someone want MORE gears? Surely, the difference in performance (or whatever it is a rider thinks they'll get out of an extra gear) isn't necessary or is very negligible when you are talking about a bike with a motor like the VMax, and on a bike you're buying because it's a touring bike. 2nd gen riders that try to keep up with me don't even use the 5 gears that are available to them...what the heck would they want another one for? And remember, these thoughts are coming from someone called "swifty".

...that last item I can never understand...why does someone want MORE gears? Surely, the difference in performance (or whatever it is a rider thinks they'll get out of an extra gear) isn't necessary or is very negligible when you are talking about a bike with a motor like the VMax, and on a bike you're buying because it's a touring bike. 2nd gen riders that try to keep up with me don't even use the 5 gears that are available to them...what the heck would they want another one for? And remember, these thoughts are coming from someone called "swifty".

1. The gear ratios could be closer together, therefore keeping you in optimal torque.

2. A taller 6th gear would lower the rpms enough to see up to a 10% fuel milage increase.

Regardless of which engine any bike has, as long as it has enough torque and hp to pull the bike along at speed, an "extra" gear will reduce engine heat, wear, tear, pollution, and fuel mileage. Why would you not want the extra gear?

1. The gear ratios could be closer together, therefore keeping you in optimal torque.

Give me a while and I'll think of a time I wasn't in optimal torque the way it is.

Oh yeah, when I was in fifth gear under 70 mph.

I'll give this a maybe, if they insist on doing it, but I don't feel that I need it.

2. A taller 6th gear would lower the rpms enough to see up to a 10% fuel milage increase.

Regardless of which engine any bike has, as long as it has enough torque and hp to pull the bike along at speed, an "extra" gear will reduce engine heat, wear, tear, pollution, and fuel mileage. Why would you not want the extra gear?

Completely disagree.

You're only going to see a 10% mileage increase if you run 100 mph on the interstates all day long.

Too many guys come to the Venture from a V-Twin and want to run low rpms. They wind up shifting quickly to fifth then running the engine at too low an rpm. That causes more wear and tear than spinning it fast. Then they complain about lack of power. They also complain about engine whine which happens mostly under 3000 rpms. We wind up telling them to downshift.

Sorry, but I neither need nor want a taller sixth. Now, on an antiquated v-twin, running hard at 4 grand, sure. Of course, if they put a v-twin in the Venture it won't be a Venture any more than a Chevy van is a Venture, and they most certainly won't sell me one.

aamcotrans: I think you stretch the truth a little your saying:whistling::whistling::whistling:

"I have never seen the inside of a trans, nor have I ever worked on one, nor do I have any understanding of how they work." :stickpoke:

It is like me saying I ain't never worked on a School bus nore do I know what color a School bus is:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

in keeping with this thread - concerning gear changes/improvements in a 3rd gen -

But for my riding in lower central Louisiana - there are 2 areas of riding i do here -

1.) I like the gearing just the way it is for solo riding. just great. leave it alone.

however, when riding -

2.) 2up on interstate I-10 that takes us most places, i will bounce between 4th and 5th gears because we have speed limits for 55 to 70. with traffic i need 4th and when clear out, 5th gear is nice cruising 70 and up.

If we had a 6 th gear, i believe they would shorten the RPM range of 3rd to 6th and give 6th the longer range mentioned above. It really won't mean a whole lot to us either way.

on a side note, though, one less gear shift means 1/4 bike head up on a competing bike beside me. :banana:

I have never seen the inside of a trans, nor have I ever worked on one, nor do I have any understanding of how they work. So please, feel free to enilighten me some more.

And that means what relative to this conversation? Don't just throw an "appeal to authority" at me. That's a logical fallacy and simply will not float. What did I say that was technologically incorrect? You asked "Why would you not want an extra gear?" and I told you.

I'm not saying this stuff to ruffle your feathers, but I do feel you're wrong, at least relative to a higher sixth gear on this motorcycle. If this bike were a v-twin I'd heartily agree with you. It isn't.

Most of what we're really talking about is engine performance, not the transmission itself. This is not an automotive v-six with an automatic transmission and computerized control. It's a small displacement, four cylinder engine that runs the happiest at 3000 to 7000 rpms. Sure you can run it with a tall sixth at 1500 rpms doing 80 down the interstate, but you're pushing your luck with the oil wedges on your rod bearings. That's not reducing wear and tear. You're also not likely to get increased mileage since you'll have to open the throttle more to work against that much load. You're going to have to bump it up to 3000 for any kind of mileage, and with a taller sixth that's flashing light territory in the US. That leaves us with pollution. I'm not convinced you wouldn't be pushing unburned hydrocarbons trying to run that low against load.

Add to that the number of new guys who'll be shifting straight to sixth at 45 mph. Again, on a v-twin, sure, but not with this engine.

I do not want an extra gear, and that's why. Come on now, you asked. :)

I think if we step back and look at the title 1900 cc V-Twin we would all agree that a 6 or even 7 speed would be helpful due to the low RPM these motors like to turn. a double over drive would help with the top end speed. This is why a hot setup for a Harley was to swap out the 5 speed for a 6speed trans.

It is also why in a class 8 truck a 18 speed double over is nice set up verses a 9or 10 speed, it kept the motor in its sweet spot for the best pulling power and fuel economy:missingtooth:

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't think we need a new model just improve on this one. Lose the cassette, put on fuel injection, and a few other here and theres.............

+1 on this. Love the style, looks, and reliability. Just loose the cassette!

Just a quick question. How tall of a sixth gear are we talking about? Now just going by your own words either it has to really tall or something is wrong with my 1st gen. At 80 mph my tach is showing 4500 rpm. At 70 mph its running 3500-4000 rpm range . Now with a sixth gear it seems to me that my 1st gen would still be in the 3000 - 3500 rpm range therefore keeping it in the tork curve youve been talking about. Again your own words said this engine loves to be in the 3000-7000 rpm range.

David