IGNORED

Can You Say 1900CC Venture V-Twin????

Long Tall

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question. How tall of a sixth gear are we talking about? Now just going by your own words either it has to really tall or something is wrong with my 1st gen. At 80 mph my tach is showing 4500 rpm. At 70 mph its running 3500-4000 rpm range . Now with a sixth gear it seems to me that my 1st gen would still be in the 3000 - 3500 rpm range therefore keeping it in the tork curve youve been talking about. Again your own words said this engine loves to be in the 3000-7000 rpm range.

David

Don't forget that Yamaha changed the ratios between the First Gen and the Second Gen. Fourth is 1.068, and fifth is .906 on the First. Fourth is .960, and fifth is .786 on the Second Gen. In other words, on a Second Gen fourth is about the same as a First Gen's fifth.

70 is a little over 3000 in fifth on a Second Gen. Add another gear above the current fifth and you're turning maybe 2500 at 70 mph.

Don't forget that Yamaha changed the ratios between the First Gen and the Second Gen. Fourth is 1.068, and fifth is .906 on the First. Fourth is .960, and fifth is .786 on the Second Gen. In other words, on a Second Gen fourth is about the same as a First Gen's fifth.

70 is a little over 3000 in fifth on a Second Gen. Add another gear above the current fifth and you're turning maybe 2500 at 70 mph.

ok... then who's on 2nd if 1st is on 4th...or did he steal 5th?

70 is a little over 3000 in fifth on a Second Gen. Add another gear above the current fifth and you're turning maybe 2500 at 70 mph.[/quote}

Thanks for the quick answer. Now for a bit of reality. How many of us have ridden with most of the rest of this group. I know Ive only ridden in a large group of ventureriders a few times, so with that admission, I realize I dont know everyones riding style. But with the ones Ive ridden with 70 is too slow. So therefore if for nothing else it would save gas in the group rides as I have never been in a group ride from one place to the next where that 6th gear wouldnt have came in handy.

Not trying ti get an argument started just trying to understand. Just because its there doesnt mena you have to use it all the time. I know it would came in handy for me.

David

Keep in mind that quite a few of the 2nd gen. guys on this site have switched to the VMax final drive because they felt that the gearing of 5th was too tall riding 70 on the highway and there wasn't as much power to get up hills and such without down shifting. Ask Freebird about his switch and why he likes it.

I don't believe he's noticed much, if any difference in gas mileage either.

The only question I have with a taller 6th gear on a Ventuer is... Why is changing to a lower V-Max/FJR final so appealing? Also... because these V4's perform best at higher RPM ranges... wind resistence, and higher engine loads will cause the gas milage to tank.....

:sign yeah that: 2

Edited by Condor

Thanks for the quick answer. Now for a bit of reality. How many of us have ridden with most of the rest of this group. I know Ive only ridden in a large group of ventureriders a few times, so with that admission, I realize I dont know everyones riding style. But with the ones Ive ridden with 70 is too slow. So therefore if for nothing else it would save gas in the group rides as I have never been in a group ride from one place to the next where that 6th gear wouldnt have came in handy.

Not trying ti get an argument started just trying to understand. Just because its there doesnt mena you have to use it all the time. I know it would came in handy for me.

David

I cruise 80 to 85 in fifth on the interstate when I'm going long distances. That puts me between 3500 and 4000. I feel no need to drop that to 2500 or 3000. When I ride the interstate locally running around 65 or 70, which does drop it to 2500 to 3000 I see no significant fuel savings. My best mileage is on red roads where I'm running higher rpms in lower gears going 45 to 50 tops.

When I'm off the interstate I seldom use fifth. In fact, on the truly fun roads I usually use first and second. Sometimes third. I've never lacked for power. I rode an '85 from '90 to '05 and it's pretty rare for even the biggest talker to leave me behind. The fact is, I want a V-Max pumpkin so that fifth will finally become usable.

Keep in mind, if a First Gen had another gear it'd be about what the Second Gen already has. Would you really want two more?

The question I was originally responding to was "Why would you not want an extra gear?" I answered that I do not long for another gear and gave sound mechanical reasons. Now, the cassette player I can see changing. :)

I cruise 80 to 85 in fifth on the interstate when I'm going long distances. That puts me between 3500 and 4000. I feel no need to drop that to 2500 or 3000. When I ride the interstate locally running around 65 or 70, which does drop it to 2500 to 3000 I see no significant fuel savings. My best mileage is on red roads where I'm running higher rpms in lower gears going 45 to 50 tops.

When I'm off the interstate I seldom use fifth. In fact, on the truly fun roads I usually use first and second. Sometimes third. I've never lacked for power. I rode an '85 from '90 to '05 and it's pretty rare for even the biggest talker to leave me behind. The fact is, I want a V-Max pumpkin so that fifth will finally become usable.

Keep in mind, if a First Gen had another gear it'd be about what the Second Gen already has. Would you really want two more?

The question I was originally responding to was "Why would you not want an extra gear?" I answered that I do not long for another gear and gave sound mechanical reasons. Now, the cassette player I can see changing. :)

HEy Bummer,

I respect what you said as your opinion. We all have them and we all think we are wright. thats whats great about this couontry. We all have that wright. I have no mechanical expirience so I cant answer if your advice is mechanically sopund or not. Ill let other debate that. And as already stated as Im no great mech I have no mechanical theries to back up what I say other than at 80-85 mph my tach is readind somehwere between 4500-5000 rpms. I understand the bike is good with that. I also understand its a 91 Vr . In 1991 the speed limits were 55 and the bikes were geared for that speed or just a little better. So with that I still stand by my thoughts that if it was financially sound to have a 6th gear designed and installed I would for the times when I run with the big dogs ( SECOND GENS).

I understand what you are saying all I ask is either to understand what Im saying or at least respect it as my opinion. I cant respond to the power curve , handleing or anything else about a second gen as I ve never ridden one.

respectfully

david

HEy Bummer,

I respect what you said as your opinion. We all have them and we all think we are wright. thats whats great about this couontry. We all have that wright. I have no mechanical expirience so I cant answer if your advice is mechanically sopund or not. Ill let other debate that. And as already stated as Im no great mech I have no mechanical theries to back up what I say other than at 80-85 mph my tach is readind somehwere between 4500-5000 rpms. I understand the bike is good with that. I also understand its a 91 Vr . In 1991 the speed limits were 55 and the bikes were geared for that speed or just a little better. So with that I still stand by my thoughts that if it was financially sound to have a 6th gear designed and installed I would for the times when I run with the big dogs ( SECOND GENS).

I understand what you are saying all I ask is either to understand what Im saying or at least respect it as my opinion. I cant respond to the power curve , handleing or anything else about a second gen as I ve never ridden one.

respectfully

david

Please don't let my writing style throw you off. Of course I respect your opinion, I respect aamcotrans' opinion too. I'm more concerned that aamcotrans may think that his opinion is more than just an opinion. Even at that, I'm certainly not upset with him about it. More perplexed.

I like education. I have formal training in a number of mechanical pursuits including the workings of internal combustion engines. In fact, I'm back in school right now. If aamcotrans knows something I do not, I want to learn what it is. Rather than explain his opinion he appears to have stated that he's right, I'm wrong, then dismissively turned away.

As I said, the gearing on a Second Gen is different from that of a First Gen. My point, in our conversation, is that if we added one taller gear to a Second Gen it would be like adding two taller gears to a First Gen. I understand that you feel you could use another higher gear. Would you really want, and be willing to pay for, two?