Ok, I'd like to know how much whine is too much or normal. I will be getting barons 424 slipon mufflers in the next week or so. But I was just wondering how much whine is too much? I put a video from my Go Pro on you tube and if link works maybe I could get an idea if I should try the I basket deal or just put the mufflers on and ride.

hopefully here's the link [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzN9EMtI0_s]YouTube- Yamaha RSTD whine?[/ame]

Doesn't sound that bad to me. But mine doesn't get bad until 60 to 65 mph. Mine is not as bad in 5th so that's where I ride most of the time. 35 to 85 mph in 5th. Mine does great unless I need to get on it then of course I have to down shift. The 424's should help but then what if you get tired of the loud exhaust all the time? Just turn the radio up. Oh... a wait, never mind. Helmet with speakers and an MP3 player in your pocket.

Is the "whine" covered under warranty?

My two biggest complaints about this bike are the whine and the heat coming off the engine...The whine might even cause me to sell the bike at some point. Very disappointing in an otherwise pretty nice ride.

Thanks for doing that video and youtubing it. Now I know what that whine sounds like. I think it sounds more like a chirp than a whine, but to each his own. I'd get the I basket. Like water torture one little drop of water on the forehead can become a sledge hammer over time. Loud mufflers can mask the noise but they're just a bandaid, and can cause other issues. It would be the same thing as some of these kids with the loud music playing in their cars. We have enough just dealing with with windnoise, and that whine could add to that effect.

Is the "whine" covered under warranty?

My two biggest complaints about this bike are the whine and the heat coming off the engine...The whine might even cause me to sell the bike at some point. Very disappointing in an otherwise pretty nice ride.

1 swap to the I basket and back, if I'm not mistaken, should be covered under warranty. If the dealer you take it to knows nothing about it and balks at doing it then go to another. Some people have encountered that scenario.

bear in mind that it MAY make it better, and it may not. It may just move the sound to another location in the RPM range.

Some have found that it helps initially and then comes back with miles.

Just letting you know what some have found to be true, not saying that it won't make your's perfect.

As for the heat, you might want to go ride a Harley, I hear that's some real heat. Seriously though you may want to look into investing in some of these wings:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelscitemdetail/5/4/83/408/2009/1/4607/0/0/detail.aspx

You can probably find them someplace other than Yamaha for less though.

Well, I personally think that it is bad enough. It really sounds annoying to me. I think it's worth having checked out.

If so, then mine definitely needs checking out. It's much higher pitched and louder than the video. Before changing to synthetic, I had virtually no whine in 5th. I've noticed that if I have a slight down grade and can hold the throttle steady, the whine disappears. Is this the clutch basket? Is the I basket different from the clutch basket in my 2008 RSTD? Anyway to tell?

Guess I could drain the oil (only 200 miles since change) and try the Mobile T, but wonder if I should run "sludge" to quiet it down. If the clutch and engine oil were separated my options would probably increase.

How much success have members had in getting the clutch basket changed under warranty? Is there a TSB from Yamaha for this problem? Thanks for any replies!

:sick:

Edited by Shipper

I would try the I basket. My 99 RSV was way worse than that before the I basket. Now it's much better than yours. Worth a shot. Are you still in warranty? If not, I'd suggest getting your basket from Partshark.com, they seem to have the most reasonable price.

Now that I have a 2ndGen... I don't know if it has the 'whine' yet.. it's new2me and it's been raining. But I've had the idea of pulling the clutch basket out and replacing it with a clutch assembly out of a 1stGen with Barnet springs. My '83 had a 'once-in-a-while' whine, but it wasn't unpleasant, and it was sporadic. Anyway it's something to think about???

Is that considered the whine or chirp. I would go crazy if I had to listen to that much noise. Freebird menitoned in a previous thread that you could hear the whine at idle. I heard it on your bike at idle but I don't have that sound. I would definately go to the dealer for an I basket.

Mine was about that loud, maybe louder, before I changed to Mobil 1 4T Racing 10w-40 synthetic and now it is much quieter. It starts to get a little louder about the time an oil change is due. But I have heard much worse..

And if you think the heat coming off the engine is bad on this bike, trying riding a Honda ST1300, a Yamaha FJ1300 or virtually any newer Harley.

If you get the Yamaha lower vents you can direct cool air in toward you legs and you only really feel the heat when stopped.

Thanks for the video. I just thought that was the way my RSTD was supposed to sound. I have contacted the dealer and they are going to contact Yamaha to get more information on this whine and the "I" basket. They also said that if Yamaha doesn't have a bulletin, I would have to bring the cycle in for assessment (which leads to them telling me that that is the way it sounds). I bought this '06 brand new in 06/09. What else do I need to tell them in order to get this basket replaced?

Nick P

Mine was definately worse than that before I changed to the I-basket. It wasn't bothersome until I got in a certain RPM range which was mostly noticeable in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th .... unfortunately, it was that rpm range that I was in most of the time so I'd either have to upshift and lug it or downshift and then it'd be revving too high for my liking. I also noticed the whine at low rpms, even idling but it wasn't an annyonce then.

Now, I have no whine at lower rpms and only a slight whine when I get to those "normal riding" rpms. I am noticing tho that as the miles wrack up after an oil change, the whine seems to be more noticeable. I'm currently using Rotella T non-synthetic but I think I will change the oil soon (even tho it's not due yet) and try the Rotella Synthetic. I am also using the MotorKote additive. All experimentation eventually leads to something that will become a keeper....or not LOL

I have the RK slash-cut mufflers and they are drilled out ... sometimes I find them a tad too loud but for the most part, I like them.

Thanks for the video. I just thought that was the way my RSTD was supposed to sound. I have contacted the dealer and they are going to contact Yamaha to get more information on this whine and the "I" basket. They also said that if Yamaha doesn't have a bulletin, I would have to bring the cycle in for assessment (which leads to them telling me that that is the way it sounds). I bought this '06 brand new in 06/09. What else do I need to tell them in order to get this basket replaced?

Nick P

Whatever their "assessment" is, ultimately it is what's acceptable to you IMHO. Same thing happened when I took mine in for an assessment... "sounds normal to me" they said. I said it wasn't acceptable and I wanted the I-basket swap. They tried to convince me that it would probably not make much difference ... "we've done 4 of those and it made no difference" they said. I said I want it anyway so they went ahead and got the ok from Yamaha. I'm glad I perservered coz I surely would have gotten rid of the scoot if I had to live with the way it was.

I know the chirpy sound from my '05 RSTD is at least that loud. If I go on a long ride (over 200mi) it just gets louder as the day goes on. Even with a quality full-face helmet that chirp is starting to drive me nuts, and after a 200+ mile ride last weekend I was ready to sell the damn thing.

I know part of the reason the chirp is so loud is because the noise is reflected off the windscreen, but riding without a screen is not an option for me. My RSTD is a bird-magnet and I'm not willing to experience bird strikes at 75MPH. I'd just be trading one hurt for another ;-)

I am the second owner and was unsure that I'd get an 'I' basket done under warranty, but my shop called Yamaha and it was quickly approved as a warranty repair. It's a one-time deal...they said if it gets worse after the repair...too bad. Fingers crossed...if this doesn't fix the chirp, I'll be looking at another cycle in the very near future. I love my RSTD, but I need something that isn't going to drive me insane after a day in the saddle.

BTW...I asked for an 'I' basket by name and the guy at the front service desk seemed unsure of what I was asking for, but the techs at Yamaha (as well as the wrench guys in back) knew exactly what it was. My RSTD is in for it's 25K service, so they put the 'I' basked on order and told me it should be finished when I return from business travel next week.

Well I spoke to the dealer. They indicated that Yamaha has a bulletin out describing the "whine". According to the dealer Yamaha said that there isn't a cure for the whine. What they do is replace the basket with another one that moves the "whine" to a different RPM range. The service rep said that there were four baskets - 2 low RPM & 2 high RPM (5-6K range). I told the service rep that I wanted the "I" basket but he didn't know what I was referring to. Does anyone have a part number for the "I" basket? Does this information sound correct?

Thanks,

Nick P

Ok....my bike has a whine, but is it harmful to the bike or just the ears? I ordered the 424 mufflers and imagine the whine will not be heard so much. Is there anyone with these mufflers who have found this solved the whine issue for them? Yes this is masking the whine but if it's not harmfull to the bike then I think I can deal with it.

Well I spoke to the dealer. They indicated that Yamaha has a bulletin out describing the "whine". According to the dealer Yamaha said that there isn't a cure for the whine. What they do is replace the basket with another one that moves the "whine" to a different RPM range. The service rep said that there were four baskets - 2 low RPM & 2 high RPM (5-6K range). I told the service rep that I wanted the "I" basket but he didn't know what I was referring to. Does anyone have a part number for the "I" basket? Does this information sound correct?

Thanks,

Nick P

I think this is it 4XY-16150-09

I think this is it 4XY-16150-09

I've got the same number except with -00 at the end. My service manager said he would order the "I" basket, but assured me that it would make no difference. I asked him if he had ever ridden mine and he said no. I decided to wait until the parts came in before telling him what I thought.

Since I've gone to Mobile 1 20w-50 and plugged both AIS's, the whine has gotten 100% worse. I should have left well enough alone, but now I'll go all the way until I P*ss everyone off and either it gets fixed or I sell the bike. He's also agreed to change the oil to Mobile 1 4T, but after talking to Mobile I doubt that it will make a difference-probably should have stayed with the Dino oil I was using. Yamaha should make an effort to fix the problem with the money they save every year by not making any changes in the model.

:178:

The problem here is that YAMAHA lost 2.4 BILLION dollars last year. They are just fighting to survive. So whatever problems we are having with our "whines" or chirps are way down the list of issues that are important to them.

I am the second owner and was unsure that I'd get an 'I' basket done under warranty, but my shop called Yamaha and it was quickly approved as a warranty repair. It's a one-time deal...they said if it gets worse after the repair...too bad. .

Here's a tip... they generally don't have to ship the "old" part back for 2 weeks so get the service mgr to give you a 2 week test and if it isn't better or it's worse, have them put the old one back in and pay a reduced labour rate. My dealer was going to do that for me for $50.