IGNORED

HID headlight installed

Guys,

I've not started this project yet, but I intend to. A friend of mine converted both of his headlights on his ST1300 as well as his running lights and the following is his input to me:

I ordered the H-4, 3 Bi-Xenon Conversion Kit w/ 6000K lamps. I see that the price has dropped ~$6.00. Before it was $49 + 25 shipping. Now the price includes includes the shipping. If you can order the 5000K lamps, they put out more light!! I have the 5000k on my driving lights and I can see the difference.

And he ordered his kits from www.vvme.com which appears to be both a US and a Canadian company that will ship anywhere in the world. And it appears they also take PayPal?

I point this out as possibly another source for those interested in this project to explore. In fact when I do mine, I may look at also doing my running lights?

Rick

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the H-4, 3 Bi-Xenon Conversion Kit w/ 6000K lamps. I see that the price has dropped ~$6.00. Before it was $49 + 25 shipping. Now the price includes includes the shipping. If you can order the 5000K lamps, they put out more light!! I have the 5000k on my driving lights and I can see the difference.

Rick, I see there are 4 different ones so which one specifically did you order ...

Standard

Digital Slim

12 v 55/55W

24V 35W

?????

I'd choose the Slim-Balast Kit, just because the Balast is a big Part and for use in a Motorcycle, you'll need it as small as it can be.

You realize these are Car Kits ?

Meaning there are two Balasts, two Bulbs but only ONE Relay and one H4 Plug. I had the same Thing. It itsn't plug'n'play on a single Bulb Motorcycle Head Light.

I wired the Balast direct to the switched Battery Plus behind the Light Fuse and used the stock H4 Connector only for picking up switched Voltage. Used two 6.3 mm Spade Connectors and inserted them right into the H4 Connector. This way, i haven't had any Issue with non-starting or flickering Light, whereas when you use the stock H4 Connector to feed the Balast, the Resistances over Switches and Connectors can comprimise the good Outcome, plus wireing it over the H4 Connector is additional PitA.

I'd choose the Slim-Balast Kit, just because the Balast is a big Part and for use in a Motorcycle, you'll need it as small as it can be.

You realize these are Car Kits ?

Meaning there are two Balasts, two Bulbs but only ONE Relay and one H4 Plug. I had the same Thing. It itsn't plug'n'play on a single Bulb Motorcycle Head Light.

I wired the Balast direct to the switched Battery Plus behind the Light Fuse and used the stock H4 Connector only for picking up switched Voltage. Used two 6.3 mm Spade Connectors and inserted them right into the H4 Connector. This way, i haven't had any Issue with non-starting or flickering Light, whereas when you use the stock H4 Connector to feed the Balast, the Resistances over Switches and Connectors can comprimise the good Outcome, plus wireing it over the H4 Connector is additional PitA.

And this is why I listed on my first article post the link for the HID system I installed on my bike.. Single bulb but does the Hi / Lo with an actuator.. This is not a car kit, but a bike kit.. People are confusing car kits for bike kits, probably why so many nay-sayers out there, I dunno..

I like mine.. bright, inexpensive and easy to install.. what more could you ask for.

... what more could you ask for?

I would like one that works with a Modulator (A Man can Dream). Better than ending up as a hood ornament with a very Bright Light (day time scenario).

1. Agree HID safer than Stock day time & night time without Modulator.

2. Stock with Modulator safer in daytime than HID the FLASH just wakes up the lazy eyes!

3. My Dream and safest would be HID with Modulator.

3 cents

Excellent Thread!!! :detective:

I would like one that works with a Modulator (A Man can Dream). Better than ending up as a hood ornament with a very Bright Light (day time scenario).

1. Agree HID safer than Stock day time & night time without Modulator.

2. Stock with Modulator safer in daytime than HID the FLASH just wakes up the lazy eyes!

3. My Dream and safest would be HID with Modulator.

3 cents

Excellent Thread!!! :detective:

Put you modulator on your passing lights, if you have them.

I ordered the 6000K. I talked with the sales dude and he said that the 6000k has the highest lumen and the whitest light.

Don't need the relay.

Still looking for passing light replacements, if any one finds them please post!!!!!

thanks Mike but it still doesn't fully answer my Q so here's a screen shot and what I am questioning is the pick list labeled "Application" ... which should we choose there??? 9004, 9007, H4, H13 ???

thanks Mike but it still doesn't fully answer my Q so here's a screen shot and what I am questioning is the pick list labeled "Application" ... which should we choose there??? 9004, 9007, H4, H13 ???

SilverT,

The 2nd Gen has the H4 Bulb as Stock... So H4:080402gudl_prv:

I ordered the 6000K. I talked with the sales dude and he said that the 6000k has the highest lumen and the whitest light.

Don't need the relay.

Still looking for passing light replacements, if any one finds them please post!!!!!

I'm sorry to say, but that not true. 4300 K is near Daylight and is the "whitest" Light. It may be so for their Kits, but i doubt it. On a bright Side (pun intended) those "Bulbs" deteriorate over Time, meaning they burn out some Kelvins and sooner or later, you'll have a 4300 K Light and still.

Regarding the Modulator Thing ... Well, i honestly i myself don't think a Modulator on a Bike is a very good Idea, but that not for me me to decide. If you still want one, despite the Fact that this Xenon gets seen even at the brightest Daylight, you might think about a small DIY Disco Light Kit from Radio Shack or whoever carries these in US. You could drive the HI/LO Beam Magnet with it and and let the Kit randomly switch between HI an Low Beam. This will come out like you constantly flick the Hi/Lo Switch in a random Time Pattern. Not exactly like a Modulator, but close. The Magnet on the Bulb may fail prematurely, though.

I like mine very much, and you're right, what would one else more ...

Perhaps .... i'd love to have it legal over here ...

Well i just ordered mine....Get on it guys cuz they have only 35 units in stock now.

Just what Squid needs to hear....lol.

Boomer....who hopes to spook the hell outta these Loozeeanner night critter-fornicators....and might even send a few units down to my pygme pals in New Guinea too.

Regarding the Modulator Thing ... Well, i honestly i myself don't think a Modulator on a Bike is a very good Idea, but that not for me me to decide. If you still want one, despite the Fact that this Xenon gets seen even at the brightest Daylight, you might think about a small DIY Disco Light Kit from Radio Shack or whoever carries these in US. You could drive the HI/LO Beam Magnet with it and and let the Kit randomly switch between HI an Low Beam. This will come out like you constantly flick the Hi/Lo Switch in a random Time Pattern. Not exactly like a Modulator, but close.

Squeeze,

Above will not Meet USA and CANADA (DOT) Dept of Transportation Specs here. I was in Manhiem in 1986 - 88 spent some time in Garmish (US Army Ski Team) Drinking Heffe-Wiesien in the Alps. It was my Longing for Good German Heffe Wiesen that got me into Home Brewing 3 years ago.... I make an AWSOME Heffe :). Gooten Tag & Awfredizen.

Heir Brecken :) :080402gudl_prv:

Squeeze,

Above will not Meet USA and CANADA (DOT) Dept of Transportation Specs here. I was in Manhiem in 1986 - 88 spent some time in Garmish (US Army Ski Team) Drinking Heffe-Wiesien in the Alps. It was my Longing for Good German Heffe Wiesen that got me into Home Brewing 3 years ago.... I make an AWSOME Heffe :). Gooten Tag & Awfredizen.

Heir Brecken :) :080402gudl_prv:

Well, i Kind of expected that, but a Modulator isn't legal in all US States or CAN Provinces either. But i figure, if somebody doesn't care much about Legality, it doesn't Matter much.

Glad to hear about Hefe-Weizen !! !! There are not so much People in US which know this Beer. Even greater hearing it in Home Brewing, keep up the good Work !!

I myself had a Franziskaner Hefe-Weizen the other Day when we were at a big Schnitzel Place here, sans Alcohol !!! Taste was not bad at all. I could get acustomed to that.

http://www.sportpark-neuwirtshaus.de/service.html

Mike.

Put you modulator on your passing lights, if you have them.

Way to think outside of the box :whistling: now have me thinking about spending more $$$ :doh:

At our MD here a few weeks back, I saw Massey130 had modulators on his passing lamps. I think it was he. VERY distinctive and effective. I think he had a 3-way switch, on / off / modulating, but no light sensor to turn it off. If you really want HID and modulating lamps, you could hardly do worse than this.

I was interested to see these BikeVis LED lamps with PodMod reviewed. They don't modulate, but they "twinkle" in an attention-grabbing way. Video below. I think it is really distinctive and would be a good enhancement for the modulator groupies.

Dave

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNe5-G9q8QM]YouTube- BikeVis PodMod LED Modulator[/ame]

Guest tx2sturgis
Well, i Kind of expected that, but a Modulator isn't legal in all US States or CAN Provinces either. But i figure, if somebody doesn't care much about Legality, it doesn't Matter much.

Glad to hear about Hefe-Weizen !! !! There are not so much People in US which know this Beer. Even greater hearing it in Home Brewing, keep up the good Work !!

I myself had a Franziskaner Hefe-Weizen the other Day when we were at a big Schnitzel Place here, sans Alcohol !!! Taste was not bad at all. I could get acustomed to that.

http://www.sportpark-neuwirtshaus.de/service.html

Actually, a headlight modulator IS legal in all 50 US states and Canada IF it meets the US DOT and/or Canadian Govt standards. Simply turning a light on and off is not considered 'modulating' in the legal sense.

On the beer? No comment! :whistling:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Actually, a headlight modulator IS legal in all 50 US states, IF it meets the DOT standards. Simply turning a light on and off is not considered 'modulating' in the legal sense.

On the beer? No comment! :whistling:

I'm sorry, i didn't want to confuse anybody. I seem to remember one or another Post from Members who had been pulled over because the Cops called it illegal in this or that State for being misunderstood as Signals from Motorcycle Cop, though. They wrote a Ticket also in at least one Case. Doesn't make is illegal there per se, but I've been wrong before.

But i really meant, installing a HID is illegal over here, or, at least very questionable. There's only one (expensive) complete Head Light Assembly which has the needed EC Tag, and you'll be discussing this with the LEO's anyway. But this Head Light is fugly.

Using a Modulator would be calling any Cop you'll find on your Way to pull you over.

Guest tx2sturgis

I know sometimes the English to German and back again is sometimes a confusing factor, Squeeze, for us and for you. Your English is WAAY better than my German! No problem.

Here is a link to the US regs:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm

And Canadian regs:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/Modulator-regs-canada.htm

Just to clarify, to those who asked. No, a modulator intended for use on a typical incandescent headlight lamp will NOT work with a true gas discharge HID lamp, period. Two different animals.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just to drop a line that we installed the same HID I have onto my friend's RSV (link to HID is on first article).

And to confirm, NO you cannot have a modulator work on a HID as the previous gent just stated.. it won't work and will cause you problems.

We installed the HID on the bike and it wouldn't work properly.. what the? Then we discovered he had a modulator on his headlight wiring system that was disabled as he hated it modulating..) So that had to be cut out of the system, re-solder the wires back and poof, beautiful bright retina burning light.. sweeet..

This time, the install took all but 30 minutes from cowling removal to re-installation of front fairing.. (but take away the puzzler about the modulator lol)

Fun stuff.. Even in the day time the cagers will flash their lights at you if you ride with hi beam on.. nice..

The only thing you can't do with this type of single bulb hi lo system is flick the hi lo fast like you would an incandescent bulb, because of the actuator..

But it's a slice installing and bright lights ahead of you..