IGNORED

What do you wear when you ride ...?

cb1313

Deja vu anyone? :)

Kevlar lined jeans, either Diamond Gusset or Draggin'. (I have a pair of Sliders from Competition Accessories, but I don't like the baggier style. The Diamond Gussets are my favorite.) During cool/cold weather I wear a touring leather jacket with vents and a "euro" type collar similar to this. (Not advocating the store, just showing the type jacket I have - same manufacturer, very similar style but in black.) When it's hot out I wear a kevlar Draggin' Shirt, usually over a t-shirt. On very hot days my wife, who also wears kevlar lined jeans and a Draggin' Shirt, and I soak the shirts down with water for evaporative cooling - like air conditioning for bike riders. Red Wing lace up safety toe boots. Leather gloves. HJC FS-15 Carbon full face helmet - Irene has a SyMax II.

All the gear, all the time. Period.

Shorts? Flip flops? Tank top? Not a chance. I like me way too much for that.

To straycatt: I am sorry if you took offense at my statement, for it was not directed at you. In fact, your post was not even on the board when I started typing my reply, so I didn't see it until after I posted.

Ride safe all,

Goose

We're good Goose.

I had deleted my post almost as soon as I made it, but I wasn't quick enough. It was a knee jerk reaction to what appeared to be a direct attack.

Your comment didn't actually bother me, I just felt like it needed a response.

We all have different risk thresholds, and that's a good thing. :178:

I wear Cortex Jacket, air through mesh, and full safety pads. Rain causes me to add the zip in rain liner; cool causes me to ad to the rain liner the quilted inside liner. Extreme hot, Tshirt u nder all of that; otherwise a full length shirt. I also carry other Tshirts, short and long, to snung up underneath when the Colorado Mts change to cold in the evening.

Same until extreme hot: FieldSheer full dress pans with safety pads; Zip in quilted liner in cool or cold weather. I always wear slacks.

Full face top of the line helmet, always.

Always: full length padded protecting gloves; when too hot, summer full finger riding gloves with full protective pads.

Steel toed boots, always!

If road rash gets me it will be because it got to 90 too quickly. I just don't plan to ride when it's that hot, or below 45.

My safety instructor in the CO course said there does come those times when wearing too much protective gear in hot weather is as dangerous as wearing nothing. She applied that to the helmet, too. Surprised me. If it's that hot, I poor water on my head and Tshirts, then have a light zip up jacket fully zipped up; I gradually unzip it and it works just like AC.

My 2cents worth. All stay up safe and well.

JackZ:thumbsup:

ATTGATT. Different types for different weather.

AWAYS-either an Arai Corsair or a Nolan N 102

COLD-Olympia AST Jacket, Olympia Ranger pants, BMW AllRoad boots and one of two different weight leather motorcycle gloves

HOT-Olympia Airglide jacket and pants (same boots) and summer weight motorcycle gloves.

Some combination of the above with or without inner liners as dictated by temps.

Yeah, its'a Pain in the Tail at times, BUT with all the dingbats in cages to me it's worth the hassle. By some manipulating of gear, I've found I can always find a way to be at least tolerably comfortable regardless of weather, and always have some protection.

Like many have said, it's a personal thing. When I was young I did the jeans/t shirt thing and "thought" I was ok with a denim jacket. I've been wearing full coverage helmets since the old Bell Star days of 1970.....

Last week in was 40 everday..... yesterday 70s... today....80 ? Gotta love it ~! Cb

Yep I was down in Mountain Home today. Went to Baxter Hosp. It was beautiful. I just wore my chaps and a sweatshirt today. Last week when I went down had to wear my first gear jacket and overpants to stay warm.

Warm temps (HOT for you Northerners

Normal Mississippi summer time temps... or... wearing the jacket and for sure laying it down when I pass out from heat stroke!

This is my problem can't handle the heat. Your warm temps I can't ride with a jacket, gets just too dam hot. I always wore a leather jacket and gloves then we had a heat wave (yes we get those) and I had to pull over, before i fell over and ever since it is a t-shirt on hot days.

I can not even imagine your normal temps.

And I too, think it is stupid.

Brad

This is my problem can't handle the heat. Your warm temps I can't ride with a jacket, gets just too dam hot. I always wore a leather jacket and gloves then we had a heat wave (yes we get those) and I had to pull over, before i fell over and ever since it is a t-shirt on hot days.

I can not even imagine your normal temps.

And I too, think it is stupid.

Brad

Consider wearing a mesh jacket. I've worn one with armor in 80F on the west coast, which is hotter than 80F inland and suspect it is just as comfortable as just a shirt. Mesh jackets may not offer as much protection as a tighter weave one but is a good compromise which will certainly slide further than a shirt. :2cents:

Always have ridden with a half helmet, even back in the 70's and a 3/4 when it was real cold. Helmet is on at least 99.9% of the time.

Tourmaster Transition jacket most of the time unless its really hot out there. Sometimes just a tee shirt if local but full gear on the road.

Alpinestar Ridge boots most of the time and old HD boots local.

Diamond Gusset Jeans.

Tourmaster gloves in the winter and an air flow type leather glove other times.

I dont wear shorts on a bike....for everyone elses safety....

i wear whatever i am comfirtable with.most of the times it is jeans and t-shirts. if its a bit cool, i will put on long johns and wear my kevlar jacket. half helmet most of the times unless its very cold, then i will wear my full helmet. i have ridden in my shorts many times. i don't dressup to make an impression on any body. i ride purely for MY PLEASURE.

if i want to get sweaty, i will go sit in a sauna. a lot safer than being on a motorbike.

i want to feel the cool air when riding my bike. if i fall and get hurt, so be it. if i was worried about getting hurt, i wouldnt have taken up riding motorbikes.

have nothing against how people want to dress up. as they say...every one to his own.

:322::cool10::cool10::cool10:

... a T-shirt with a light full armed zip up jacket, when I can't wear my safety mesh padded jacket (see Pg 2), and I literally soak with water the T-shirt and my shorts, then zip up. As I go down the road I gradually unzip, and it works like AC. I keep lots of water on board, of course.

Thought my 2-cents might help.

JackZ

I wear Firstgear Kilimanjaro Textile jacket with armor, Venture pants with upgraded armor (either Air when warm or Solid when cooler), boots, gloves, and full face helmet - all the time. ATGATT.

Dress for the crash, not the ride.

RR

+1 same here ATGATT. In the Texas summer heat I will wear a long sleeve cool vest under my mesh jacket.

I couldn't ride all summer they way I do in the Texas heat without one. I have a cool vest with zippered sleeves. I'm very pleased with them (I have several, spare, clean, dirty) With a rare exception it will last all day 6-8hrs (11am - 5pm). I lightly ring it out (not sopping wet) put it on over a t-shirt and wear a mesh riding jacket over the vest. Yes, the t-shirt gets wet when I first put it on, but you don't notice it after a couple of miles (better than wet with sweat). I find the sleeves are a big help. Wearing it for me means the difference of riding or not in the Texas summer.

Insulate your skin from the heat. It may seem counter-intuitive to wear protective clothing on a hot day, but you NEED to cover your exposed skin. Think of the desert nomads that spend their whole lives traveling in the desert with their camels: They ALL wear garments that cover their entire body and head. In real simple terms, exposed skin on a hot day is not only subject to sunburn, but bare skin soaks up MORE heat from the sun. If the outside temperature is higher than your normal body temperature (36.8°C or 98.2°F), and if your bare skin is exposed to the heat, your body temperature has no where to go but up. I have ridden on days where it is cooler in my helmet then the outside air temp. I have opened my FF shield and can feel a noticeable blast of hot air. Your helmet is lined with Styrofoam, it IS a cooler. If your skin is covered, you are insulating yourself from the heat. It may "feel" good (particularly on shorter rides) to take your jacket off on hot days, but it is pushing your body into the range of dehydration symptoms even faster. (1)

I also keep several frozen quart water bottles in the freezer for ready use to ride. Always have cold water as they thaw. Keep them in a soft insulated cooler bag. I keep a wash cloth wrapped around one of the bottles, always damp and cool for a refreshing wash of my face. In addition I carry two bottles of water that I freely hand out to other riders in trouble of dehydration. I am surprised at the frequency I have come across these riders.

More on how to protect yourself Riding in the heat can be found on the Long Distance Riders site.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/IMG_2266.jpg

Edited by aharbi
added more information

A word about mesh jackets: they don't all offer the same venting or protection. I have a Hein Gerricke mesh jacket that I wore for years, but was way too hot for GA summers. Last year I spent a bit more and got a Dianese mesh jacket. It's truly amazing, and is as cool as just wearing a t-shirt, and fits better, and has higher quality armor.

I can't count the number of times I've heard, "I only wear leather because it protects better.", only to see the same person riding without their jacket because it's too hot. :smilies6:

everyone has already said most of what is there to wear. Its all in what you feel you can deal with if you lay the bike down. The only thing I will add is that in hot temps I will wear my hydration pack. Its not good to get ddehydated at anytime much less at highway speeds.

david

Consider wearing a mesh jacket. I've worn one with armor in 80F on the west coast,:2cents:

I have one. 80 here is hot as well, and that is the limit for a jacket mesh or not. Arkansas and Colorado was over 100 and that was a killer, even Standing in the shade.

Brad

• 2 years later...

I usually ride in jeans, with chaps if cooler...today I road in sweat pants and chaps and I noticed they were considerably more comfortable than my usual jeans...ya if know all about protection...anyone else do this? I was thinking I might do this for long trips since my waist and jeans are constantly at odds......one more thing...not one mention of one piece riding suit like an AeroStitch Roadcrafter.

I dress for the weather.

If it's cold, I'll be in chaps or riding pants-leather coat-work boots-full face hat.

If it's hot, I'll ride in sneakers-t shirt-shorts-non Dot lid.

When I'm on the dirt bikes I always wear more gear. It's a safe bet I'm going to fall off at least once per ride. Not so on the street. I play the odds.

I've had road rash. :crying:

I bled, I hurt, I healed. Big deal. Pain reminds you you're alive.

+1 on the pain. Wish I could get the wife to understand that. I told her they were love taps. No pain, no gain. :rotf:

Wouldn't have done it if they hadn't let me wear my helmet!!!

I ride with a guy that wears Flip-flops & shorts... Any body know him??:think:

i seen him yesterday on hwy 90 in gulfport checkin the beach seenery

It all depends on the temps for me.

From cool to way too cold... boots, jeans, bib overalls, leather jacket, ear wrap and full fingered gloves. If it's cold enough add a leather face mask and fur lined gauntlets.

Perfect temps... boots, jeans, leather jacket with liner removed and vents open and full fingered gloves.

Warm temps (HOT for you Northerners :) )... boots, jeans, denim jacket and full fingered gloves; maybe leather jacket.

Normal Mississippi summer time temps... boots and jeans, full fingered gloves and MAYBE a long sleeved shirt.

It's a choice of NOT wearing a jacket and taking a chance on laying it down... or... wearing the jacket and for sure laying it down when I pass out from heat stroke!

ist not so much as the heat but the humidity that gets to you down here i have not been able to ride as my horse is still sick and the doc wants 400 just to look and get her runnin with what he thinks will be wrong but when i do start it will be jeans, boots, light shirt and an eggshell untill i get more money saved for chaps and jacket thinkin about tellin doc to forget it and dive in myself

After 20 years driving a race car with full nomex in the summer heat, I have learned a few things about surviving in hot weather. First and foremost, hydrate. Don't drink lots of drinks with caffiene.

I have no scientific proof, but I feel cooler in 90+ degree heat with a mesh jacket than a T-shirt. It is my thought that the diffused air is circulated around the body, which cools it and evaporates moisture. Exposed skin seems to be heated by friction from the air passing at high velocity.

My personal experience, including a few days approaching 1000 miles, is that I am more comfortable wearing spandex athletic undershorts and nylon textile pants than jeans. It is my thought that the nylon does not stretch which provides a stable platform to sit on. Having a skinny butt, I have always had issues with the bones pinching the flesh, so my butt appreciates the more stable platform.

I will be wearing all the gear next weekend on the Central KY M&E.

I'm not much on mesh and spandex, but you'll see me riding with my steel toe boots, and my favorite sweat shirt with the sleeves cut out. My theory is the sweatshirt absorbs my sweat and acts as A/C. I guess if I go down, and I have, I'm maybe gonna lose some skin,

and I have, that's just the way of it.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/teyster2/TedPics/1face.gif